Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

new torsion bars are in!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 04:39 PM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new torsion bars are in!!

Well after having these things sitting in my living room for 2 months I finaly bit the bullit and installed them this weekend. It wasn't nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be, I did it by myself, with nothing but a floor jack, basic tools and the tech writeup from pelican's site. Took it apart one time for adjustments. I have a new car now, its so neutral, feels awesome.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:43 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much time did it take? Also did you have to reindex? If so how long did that take?
Old 04-04-2004, 04:50 PM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

well lets see, friday night I started working on it around 8pm, all of the bolts were stuck of course and I was pretty much learning as I was going. By midnight I had the new bars in the housing and the housing bolted up but the trailing arms were still sitting on the floor. I got back to work around 10 am sat. morning, bolted everything back up and was rolling the car around the garage by noon. took measurements decided that the pass. side was about 1/2 higher than the drivers side, took it all apart again, spent 30 mins trying to figure out the geometry, put it back together and now everything is really close. I was done by 8 last night with the brakes bled, axles back in, and a couple breaks for some lunch dinner and a beer.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:18 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a link to the torsion bar write up on pelican? I can't find it.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

oops, sorry that was a typo, the writeup was on paragon under the tech section. My mistake.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:39 AM
reno928s
Pro

How much larger did you go? Hollow or solid? Also, where did you see the most difference around turns or over all stability? Thanks, Reno
Old 04-05-2004, 01:32 PM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

I went to 30mm solid. I use 400lb front spings, koni yellows all around. I don't have the rear sway on at the moment, wanted to see how the car would feel without it and it is pretty neutral. I am going to play with front ride hight a bit, rebound settings and put an adjustable front sway on it then bolt the rear back up. The biggest difference is in how neutral the car is. I put the front coilovers and shocks on it a couple months ago and drove it around like that until I had a chance to get the t-bars in. The car felt good but had a tendancy to understear (as expected) Now there is nothing but "grip grip and more grip" as tiff needle would say. Throttle inputs and mid corner corrections are much easier and work beautifuly as well.

Quick Reply: new torsion bars are in!!