Help ! Idle went up to 6000 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 06:46 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Help ! Idle went up to 6000 RPM

I started my car today. It fired up right away but then the RPMs shot up to nearly 6000. I cut off the ignition right away. I restarted the car and the RPM's shot up to 3000. I cut off the ignition again. I popped open the hood and played with the throttle spring until it clicked close. Fired up the car again and the idle stayed at the usual 900-1000. I went around the block and immediately the RPM's would not drop below 2000.

I'm thinking TPS (throttle position switch). Can it be adjusted or should I change it to a new one?
Old 04-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doubt if this is the same issue, but once I was checking the oil and the dipstick top caught on the throttle cable, pulling it out of its "socket". Resulted in the RPMs going WAY up when I started it. Two zip ties = cheapest porsche fix ever! Good luck.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:17 AM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anyone else? Pretty PLease!
Old 04-03-2004, 06:06 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andre, haven't had that happen, but since it changed when you played with the return spring, I would think something is going on with the throttle. To check your TPS you need to check one thing first. In a quiet area, put your ear to the TPS and listen as you let the throttle close from being open. You should hear a click just ast the throttle plate comes to a stop. If you don't then look at the screws holding the TPs, loosen them and then rotate the TPS so that you will get the click just as the throttle plate closes.

If you hear the click then the question is whether or not the switch is actually working. To test that you need to have a voltmeter and pin numbers to check to see if the switch is actually working. I think the procedure is on Paragon Products web site http://www.paragon-products.com/.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

One time after racing I had my idle jump up to 2000 rpm. After many minutes of head-scratching (my own) it turned out to be the cable to the cruise control actuator, that was not tied down with its counter-nut. Apparently the vibration pattern is such that the adjustment nut tightens the cable (resulting in increased idle) if not secured with the counter-nut. I hope it is as simple as that for you too.

Laust
Old 04-03-2004, 06:29 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eureka! Found the problem!

The throttle spring was caught on the retaining band screw the holds the rubber connector from the return IC pipe to the throttle body. The band somehow got loose. Replaced the band at a different position and the throttle spring was able to close completely.

Thanks for the responses.

Quick Reply: Help ! Idle went up to 6000 RPM