Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Air conditioning recharge help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004 | 06:08 PM
GWTurboS
Rennlist Member

Default Air conditioning recharge help please

Hi Guys,

Anyone here recharge their own air conditioning system? The PO of my car had the refrigerant switched to Freeze 12, a generic R12 retrofit/replacement. I'm trying to figure out which valve to plug my Freeze 12 refill canister into.

There is a Schrader valve located on top of a hard line next to the driver's side strut tower. This appears to be the low pressure side of the system that runs to the compressor. From what I have read, I should NOT introduce liquid refrigerant into the low pressure side because it will go right into the compressor, and the compressor is meant to compress gas, not liquid.

Looking at the parts drawings, it also looks like there is a valve or fitting next to the refrigerant tank located behind the driver's side headlight. This should be the high pressure side where the refrigerant gets introduced, right?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Greg W.
Old 04-02-2004 | 06:13 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

The larger of the two lines is the low side and the side you charge with. I believe on your car the low pressure schrader valve is on the compressor. If you have the valve in the compressor it should be marked "S" for suction (low side).

When they refer to not putting liquid into the compressor, it means that they don't want you to turn it upside down when charging. When held upright, as soon as is leaves the can it depressurizes and turns to gas. Do not charge the high side, unless of course you hate your hands.
Old 04-02-2004 | 06:16 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW, don't quote me on the low pressure valve location. On 89's it's at the compressor, on 86's it's not. Follow the line to the compressor and verify it is the suction side before charging.
Old 04-02-2004 | 06:21 PM
GWTurboS
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks!

Thanks Jeremy,

That make sense that the line pressure would need to be lower than the can pressure for the refrigerant to be drawn into the system.

Best Regards,
Greg w.
Old 04-03-2004 | 04:15 AM
Danno
Race Director

The low-pressure shraeder valve near the strut-tower is only available on the '86 951; it's the one on the larger of the two lines. On later cars, you have to get to the low-pressure valve down by the compressor.

Quick Reply: Air conditioning recharge help please