Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wheels and performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 11:34 AM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jerome951
To answer the OPs question, the difference in wheel weight can cause a noticeable difference in acceleration, but I'm not sure 5# will do so.
Yup

The shocks also had to work harder. Some bumps caused loss of grip w/ the Borbets
This is very true. Since this fundamentally is a spring mass damper system the damping/springs should be changed to match the mass so that the tire can track the pavement better. But since no one will do that on a street car the max benefit of lighter wheels/tires will not be achieved.

I'd just get the lighter wheels anyway tho . Unless they cost twice as much!!!

Mike G.

Last edited by Mike Goebel; 02-22-2021 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:59 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

To answer the OPs question, the difference in wheel weight can cause a noticeable difference in acceleration, but I'm not sure 5# will do so....
We used to use a factor of 10 back in the day for unsprung weight so it will be like adding maybe 250 pounds overall if you also include the added weight of the bigger tires.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:19 PM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

For true acceleration differences you'd need to know the actual inertia of the wheels/tire. Straight up weight is one thing but the rotational inertia is needed to do an actual simulation. Generally lighter is better but if you are going to drop $4K on wheels you'd be better off spending it on something else.

Straight weight increase is like shown above only 0.08ish% improvement. Lets just say the inertia is 20% more. That's still not a lot of difference when the total car weight (mass) is used. There was once a test done on a go-kart. It added an extra rear brake rotor to the rear axle and lap times were taken. At the addition of 5 extra brake rotors there was no reduction in lap times. This actually blew my mind as I raced for about 12 years and would have thought it would have had a serious impact on lap times. I was wrong!! Wait did I just say that?

Mike G.

Last edited by Mike Goebel; 02-23-2021 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:34 PM
Chapman951
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

no affiliation

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/po...bo-cup-wheels/

Quick Reply: Wheels and performance