Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Do accelerometers lie?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 04:41 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do accelerometers lie?

My 951 with only chips is clocking in at 5.24 secs 0-60 on an accelerometer.

Can a 951 with 18psi chip actually do this, or is it lying?
Old 03-27-2004, 05:10 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ummm....yeah. Are you indeed pushing 18psi?

what are you other mods?
what kind of tries?
suspension? ect.

I am sure I am in the low 5's myself.....who knows though. I thought about buying a G-tech Pro but, it get's so many different review's I have still yet to make a final decision.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:47 PM
Yan
Instructor

Some test drivers obtained 5.9 seconds out of a 220 hp 951. I don't see why you wouldn't be a half a second quicker with a chip and 7 PSI above the stock level?

Nice time.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:26 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the best I saw is 5.9 sec for teh 220 HP 951
5,7 for the 250 HP

so if you are a good "starter" then 5.24 is not a prolem.
Start at 4000 rpm and do not let the clutch come very fast.
thats it.!

Konstantin
Old 03-27-2004, 09:51 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Accelerometers can give incorrect results. Accelerometers also pick up the vibrations of the engine and the road…that is there Achilles heal. This type of random occurrence can be statically filtered out, just repeat the run many times and take the average.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:04 PM
Blueman33
Pro

I am a good starter. I can get a 'boosted' start with a teeny chirp of the tires.

Have only a chip, LBE, and sway bars (though i don't see that matters much)

My previous chip was rough and stumbly but spooled quick and rushed like a rocket. My new chip still stumbles but not as much, the turbo spools much slower and it has no "shove you in the seat" hit like the other one. So the new chip feels slower.

The other was clocking in at a believable 5.625, and the new one, though feeling slower, was actually faster at 5.24, BUT I ONLY DID ONE RUN.

5.24 seems really fast for just a chip and boost enhancer compared to the 5.9-6.1 from stock setup.

So i'll try again maybe tommorrow.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:05 AM
Tony
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 584 Likes on 305 Posts

The problem with them lies in the fact that when you accelerate, the **** end of the car squats and the accelerometer senses additional movement in addition to that of the car accerlating.

Hold it in your hand and tip it as an example

How much error it adds i dunno, but your fast either way.

Old 03-28-2004, 02:16 AM
schadenfreude
Instructor

Tilting and hills aren't a problem if the box has an accelerometer for all three axes.

My brother and I are working on a acceleration logger as a side project that dumps accelerometer (& possibly GPS) data to a smartdisk so that you can load it up on your computer afterwards and it will plot your course, showing your speed and accel. at each point. If you plug in the car's mass and wheel dimensions, you can also work out the torque at the wheels

At low enough RPMs, you can actually see in the raw data the acceleration kick of each firing of a piston / rotor Bumps do add heaps of noise to the data though, even when it's mounted securely. Although perhaps in theory the noise from the bumps should cancel out, I think you end up with a bit of error since the accelerometers take discrete readings over some small time interval (for ours it's every 10ms), and the acceleration spikes from the bumps can occur over very very short time periods, so you may get a big +ve spike in one reading but not get the -ve spike that follows in the next reading (or more probably, not get a spike of the correct magnitude to cancel it out completely).
Old 03-28-2004, 11:56 AM
Blueman33
Pro

Awww.

Ok, i'll try from a different road way. The Race Technology accelerometer is supposed to adjust for tilt, but the fact is, this particular roadway is a stop light leading straight onto the expressway. However there IS a slight incline.

I will find a flatter road and try it!

Quick Reply: Do accelerometers lie?