Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Shortening Factory Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2021 | 04:20 PM
RonD.
Racer

Default Shortening Factory Shifter

Looking for post on shortening the length of the factory shift lever allowing to reuse factory boot and ****.
Old 01-13-2021 | 09:34 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Remove shift lever, cut twice, weld once, re install.
Old 01-13-2021 | 10:06 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Are you doing this in an attempt to shorten the shift throw? If so, that is NOT the way to do it.

I would strongly suggest looking into the Only944 short shifter (it mounts on the transaxle). It is one of the only short shifters that I have ever liked on any car, and it is inexpensive:

https://www.only944.com/partscatalog/only/shortshifter/

They also offer a shift lever that provides a quick fix for the typical worn factory shifter/rod and side to side slop:

https://www.only944.com/partscatalog/only/shifter/

I have one of these but have not installed it, as I had previously done my typical fix of installing a bushing in the shift rod along with a new factory shift lever, which has held up well over the years.
The following users liked this post:
Darwantae951 (01-17-2021)
Old 01-13-2021 | 10:34 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

On one of my cars I have the Only944 short shifter trans linkage combined with the 9Products short throw shifter, they play nice together. The 9P shifter has the ability to shorten the throw while the linkage makes for a quicker shift.

Last edited by MAGK944; 01-13-2021 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-13-2021 | 11:22 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Droops83;17161704]Are you doing this in an attempt to shorten the shift throw? If so, that is NOT the way to do it.

Bit it IS an answer to the op's question, a way to shorten the shift lever and be able to use factory shift boot and ****.
Old 01-14-2021 | 12:41 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gage
Remove shift lever, cut twice, weld once, re install.
No need to cut twice or weld. Cut once to length, and just grind the retention notches into the shaft at the new cut position.
Old 01-14-2021 | 04:25 PM
RonD.
Racer

Do you know how much shorter the 9Products shift lever is than stock? I have the short throw linkage installed just trying to shorten shifter length and maintain factory ****/boot.
Old 01-14-2021 | 07:03 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RonD.
Do you know how much shorter the 9Products shift lever is than stock? I have the short throw linkage installed just trying to shorten shifter length and maintain factory ****/boot.
It is adjustable by about 1” in height and I have it at the lowest setting. The ball joint at the bottom is threaded and you adjust it by screwing the ball in or out.

I cannot tell how much shorter it is as I have a different (Momo) **** on that car so I cannot compare with my others. It does reduce the throw considerably at the lowest setting, changes are almost like a switch now. I just made this video hope it helps you visualize the change.

Old 01-14-2021 | 09:21 PM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MAGK944
It is adjustable by about 1” in height and I have it at the lowest setting.
Since I never understand anything I read, is that the setting that produces the shortest throw or the longest on the little gem? BTW you got a short throw.

Mike G.

Old 01-14-2021 | 09:38 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike Goebel
Since I never understand anything I read, is that the setting that produces the shortest throw or the longest on the little gem? BTW you got a short throw.

Mike G.
When you screw the threaded ball joint into the body of the shifter it makes the shifter length shorter so the throw goes down proportionately.

Old 01-14-2021 | 11:51 PM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

When you screw the threaded ball joint into the body of the shifter it makes the shifter length shorter so the throw goes down proportionately.
That’s backwards. Since the length from the pivot to the shift **** is constant you want to lengthen the distance from the pivot to the lower ball joint. Yes the entire shift lever will come up in height but you have changed the length ratios of the bottom to the top to being greater. Well at least that’s the way I see it after three or four scotches.

Mike G.
Old 01-15-2021 | 07:28 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

...Yes the entire shift lever will come up in height...
Scotches must be clouding your judgement

If you make the shifter taller the distance of the arc at the top of the shifter will increase which will increase the throw. To decrease the throw you need to shorten the length of the shifter so that the arc made by the shift **** is shorter. That’s the way I understand it, maybe I’m wrong idk. All I do know is my shifter is screwed all the way in and the shift throws are very short.
Old 01-15-2021 | 12:00 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Hey guys.. if you install the short-shift linkage or even the reduced-height lever, do you put more strain on the transmission synchros? I've been thinking about trying these but my transmission has quite some miles and has always had a first-to-second let's say finesse ("Shifts smooth for me.. it must be you?" lol ). Would the install of a short-shifting mod accelerate wear or make any existing wear worse?
Old 01-15-2021 | 04:17 PM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Scotches must be clouding your judgement
So here is an example of what I'm trying to show.

The numbers are arbitrary just for explanation. With the bottom length at 2 and the top length at 5 (Constant length) and with a shift rod pull length of 1in the shift **** moves a linear distance of 3.5 in. The total length to the shift rod is 7in.

With a bottom length of 3in (2in + 1in) and the top is at 5in (Constant length) the shift **** moves a linear distance of 2.6in. Almost 1 inch less distance. If you have actual lengths I can put them in. The total length of the shift rod is 8in.

Old 01-15-2021 | 06:30 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

So here is an example of what I'm trying to show...
Sorry still not seeing it, maybe I need a Scotch!

The shifter assembly pivots at the ball which is a fixed point at the bottom attached to the torque tube. The only thing that can happen is that the overall shifter length can be made longer or shorter (ie. The distance from the ball at the bottom to the tip of the shifter ****). If you make the assembly longer the throw is also longer and vise-versa. The distance from the portion of the assembly where the transmission rod mounts has no effect on that or the operation of the throw if that is what you are inferring by your sketch.

No where is that Laphroaig

Last edited by MAGK944; 01-15-2021 at 06:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Shortening Factory Shifter