My TurboCup Dynojeted..

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004 | 07:49 AM
Puppan
Instructor

Default My TurboCup Dynojeted..

Hi guys

I have some questions about my newly dynojeted TurboCup -86
Peter Sanden well known front engine Porsche mechanic in Sweden have built my 3L engine a´430hp/640NM(Lbft 472) (Engine with 10% tranny loss)

HP Engine with 10% tranny loss

Torque (NM) Engine with 10% tranny loss

Questions about this:

1: Is it possible for my TurboCup tranny to handle this kind of torgue? What procaution have other guys in my torque situation made?(I have uppgraded 700NM clutch so that is not a problem)

2: Are this torque figures normal for a 3L Engine?

3: What do you think is the problem with my setup. My HP power curve flatens out at about 5100Rpm wich seems kind of low compared to the torque curve that peaks at 4300Rpm? My own suggestion is that my upgraded stock Wastegate can´t handle the exhaust pressure!

4:Other suggestions to make my engine/tranny more reliable and still maintain high HP/Torque!

Regards
Pete
Old 03-23-2004 | 08:19 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

It would be soooo exciting to see what that engine would produce with a Tial WG and 1.3 bar of boost all the way to redline!
Old 03-23-2004 | 08:23 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Isn't the loss 15% at the rear wheels?
Old 03-23-2004 | 09:13 AM
Puppan
Instructor

Originally posted by Duke
It would be soooo exciting to see what that engine would produce with a Tial WG and 1.3 bar of boost all the way to redline!
I´ll agree with you

Its because of that I´m trying to find out wich way to go and if other people agrees to that its the wastegate that is the problem?!

/Pete
Old 03-23-2004 | 09:16 AM
Puppan
Instructor

Originally posted by Ski
Isn't the loss 15% at the rear wheels?
I´m not sure but if it is 15% trnny loss then the power reaches 449hp and 662NM in the engine wich is even better or worse depending on how I should put it

/Pete
Old 03-23-2004 | 09:50 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Puppan
I´ll agree with you

Its because of that I´m trying to find out wich way to go and if other people agrees to that its the wastegate that is the problem?!

/Pete
Most definatly the wastegate, since with a good wastegate even a K26/6 can be pushed to 2.0 bar to redline. Not that it's efficient at that level but that's another topic

At you power level I would also say that the K27 compressor is starting to be maxed out.

Now that the boost is dropping off it's hard to use the charts to determine the overall flow through the engine. But with your cam upgrade, big valve head and big exhaust the flow _should_ be good at hig rpm.

Good news is... a wastegate is cheap
Old 03-23-2004 | 10:21 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

hello
where did you dynoed the car?
did you dataloged the AF ratio, the Boost? How much boost do you run?

The tranny is not a problem. just be carefull aout the clutch.
do you hav a 100-200km/h run? what was teh time? only this way you will know for sure how fast is your car. ig dyno HPmeans nothing unless you messure them ina acurate MAHA dyno which tell you exactly the HP you have on the flywheel

Konstantin
Old 03-23-2004 | 10:31 AM
Puppan
Instructor

Most definatly the wastegate, since with a good wastegate even a K26/6 can be pushed to 2.0 bar to redline. Not that it's efficient at that level but that's another topic

At you power level I would also say that the K27 compressor is starting to be maxed out.

Now that the boost is dropping off it's hard to use the charts to determine the overall flow through the engine. But with your cam upgrade, big valve head and big exhaust the flow _should_ be good at hig rpm.

Good news is... a wastegate is cheap
Oki, that sound good to me!

/Pete
Old 03-23-2004 | 10:44 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

It looks like your stock shimmed wastegate is holding boost well. I recommend going to a tial but you may not see much more. The power band is typical for our cars.
Old 03-23-2004 | 11:08 AM
Puppan
Instructor

Originally posted by Konstantin
hello
where did you dynoed the car?
did you dataloged the AF ratio, the Boost? How much boost do you run?

The tranny is not a problem. just be carefull aout the clutch.
do you hav a 100-200km/h run? what was teh time? only this way you will know for sure how fast is your car. ig dyno HPmeans nothing unless you messure them ina acurate MAHA dyno which tell you exactly the HP you have on the flywheel

Konstantin
´
I dynod att Viby Racing in Sweden Eskilstuna
I have no possibility to logg with my Prospark system
In the lower segments i runned about 1.3bar but but after 5000rpm it decreased fast, down to about 1.1bar at the read line. At peak power I had about 1.15bar...

I´ll agree with you all the way about the dynos. But I know how fast my car was last year. I had 117mph/190Km/h in topspeed at the quarter mile. I ran my car on the same dyno that last year and I have about 90HP and over 150Nm more Torque this year...

It fells fine that you don´t think that I have to worry that much over my tranny! I have a 700Nm Sachs clutch...

I had no chance to do a accurate 100 to 200 run because the wheather istill pretty rainy up here. If I´m not completly wrong informed you had the oppertunity to do a run with Poa:s Speedgelb 968Turbo Replica with an ap22 is that correct? My engine is build by Sanden just like his was and I think you made an 7.9sec run 100-200 with Poa:s car...

/Pete
Old 03-23-2004 | 11:21 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by jimbo1111
It looks like your stock shimmed wastegate is holding boost well. I recommend going to a tial but you may not see much more. The power band is typical for our cars.
I agree on the powerband, holding boost higher up might not change the torque dive but it's hard to determine when the boost falls off this much.

This is about 90 rwhp less then the Powerhaus 3.0 litre 16 valve turbo engine. And that engine has a Motec system, K29 compressor, 1.45 bar of boost (handled by the Motec) , dual port wastegate, race fuel etc.
So all in all, you should be happy Puppan!
Old 03-23-2004 | 11:26 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

About Poas 968 Turbo .. If I remember correctly his engine has a HKS GT30 turbo which flow a lot more then the K27/10.
Old 03-23-2004 | 11:28 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

everything is ok with your engine. 1.3 Bar and this high Torque is ok.
1.15bar at 6000 is also ok forthis power (even it seems to high for this Turo and this boost level)
your wastagte is not ad. I think you have the Sanden one nota shimed one right? Do you have the 0.5 or the 0,8 bar spring?
how do you control it?
manual boost controler?
Is this the engine that Sanden hadfor sale?The S2 uild 3 L Turbo?

yes we tetsted the yelow beast on a 40degree hot day and we did a 7.9sec. aGemablla Tuned 996 TT with big Turbos from Gt2 needs 8.2 sec for the same test on a colderday.
so I gues the car is fast ;-) A stock 996 TT needsabot 10sec for the same test.

Konstantin
PS you must check your air fuel ratio, and your back pressure to be safe.
Old 03-23-2004 | 12:00 PM
Puppan
Instructor

About Poas 968 Turbo .. If I remember correctly his engine has a HKS GT30 turbo which flow a lot more then the K27/10.
Are you sure?
Some of the people I´ve talked to tells me that the GT30BB has problem with peak power over 450Hp and according to GIK my turbo should be at the same range..

/Pete
Old 03-23-2004 | 12:09 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Puppan
Are you sure?
Some of the people I´ve talked to tells me that the GT30BB has problem with peak power over 450Hp and according to GIK my turbo should be at the same range..

/Pete
The GT30 is available in many different configurations with different sizes on both the compressor wheel tirm and A/R of the hotside.

Take a look at this chart:
http://www.turbofast.com.au/GTseries.html

Perhaps Poa has one of the smaller GT30's but otherwise it should flow more than a K27/10.

Anyway, it will be interesting to hear performance numbers from you Cup, especially with its low weight!

Quick Reply: My TurboCup Dynojeted..