Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Are MAF's worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 02:14 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Driv200mph
Sounds like the posts all agree the MAF is best suited with upgrades!
How do you figure that?
Old 03-24-2004, 09:54 AM
cwigg66
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the stock AFM and my good friend has Autothority MAF. Even he says my car is a little faster than his. In my opinion, it is the chips that matter most, unless it is my Koni adjustables adding horsepower somewhere....
Old 03-24-2004, 10:42 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll bet you have a sticker or two on the car giving you that extra power

Yes, I can tell a big difference with my new chips, but also the state of the engine and turbo and how well the boost is controlled also will make a big difference.

Originally posted by cwigg66
unless it is my Koni adjustables adding horsepower somewhere....
Old 03-24-2004, 11:49 AM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody with with some real HP will be using a map or maf system, do you see Tony G useing the AFM i don't think so. Does Vitesse offer his kits with stock AFM?-NO. I don't think you will see Scoot Gromes useing AFM meter for his engines either.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:54 PM
turbo951fan
Racer

Hmmm, sheeps also follow the herd.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:06 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Originally posted by turbo951fan
Hmmm, sheeps also follow the herd.
Plural of sheep is sheep...

Dyno charts, positive input from SEVERAL reliable sources, and a basic understanding of fluid mechanics is enough for me. Performance is my shepard.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:30 PM
turbo951fan
Racer

SEVERAL reliable sources are mostly people who are selling MAF - right? I have to see a dyno chart yet which proves that before and after without the influence of chips/boost.

In my opinion fine tuning is the key and not MAF/MAP, AFM or standalone. I see new 951 owners destroying their engines because they think putting a MAF in does the trick. Also with a MAF, tuning is very important as the voltage signal gets altered so the influence of different chips isn't as big.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:38 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Originally posted by turbo951fan
SEVERAL reliable sources are mostly people who are selling MAF - right? I have to see a dyno chart yet which proves that before and after without the influence of chips/boost.

In my opinion fine tuning is the key and not MAF/MAP, AFM or standalone. I see new 951 owners destroying their engines because they think putting a MAF in does the trick. Also with a MAF, tuning is very important as the voltage signal gets altered so the influence of different chips isn't as big.
I agree, chips are the key to extracting the most out of mods like MAF/MAP. But didn't your K27 needs chips and a better (or modified) wastegate to get more power? How much did just the turbo give you on a stock configuration?

As with any mod, proper tuning is the key. With an AFM, what tuning can you do on the fly or on the dyno?
Old 03-24-2004, 04:20 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see new 951 owners destroying their engines because they think putting a MAF in does the trick REALLY, show me one instance of a MAF kit grenading a motor. There are some instances of incorrect installations doing that, but not even close to the number of toasted HG's using APE chips with a reliaboost (or anything other than the banjo bolt setup).

FWIW - Scott G. does not sell MAF kits any longer. Tony G doesnt sell anything (except far too many very cool parts off his car). If it was one or two tuners that would be one thing but call ANY of them and ask them about mods and a stock AFM. It becomes a limiting factor.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:07 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Matt's right on. It's not the parts that you bolt on that causes you to grenade the engine. It's getting them all to work together in harmony once it's all assembled. There is not a single MAF out there that sends out an identical signal to the stock AFM. There wouldn't be any benefit because it would max out at the same air-flow volume as the AFM, so that's a waste. Due to the different voltage-response, you need custom-chips mapped specifically to the sensor, such as the AutoThority MAF kits, the best ones out there in my opinion. Or you need some piggyback signal-massager to change the MAF signal into something the stock DME thinks is the AFM. But you have to be careful about the voltage-ranges because once you max out the signal, no amount of massaging will bring back a clipped signal.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:59 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Danno, any luck on getting that Guru / Wide Fire HG set price?
Old 03-24-2004, 08:03 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

OK , question.............Lindsey doesn't provide chips with their MAf kits, yet the info I'm seeing, I interpret to mean you need chips mapped to your unique set-up when converting to a MAF. I have Danno's version 9 chips, and a 3" exhaust, stock turbo (as an example) do I need to have them re-mapped if I add a MAF?
Old 03-24-2004, 10:05 PM
turbo951fan
Racer

A MAF kit is just no bolt on. Maybe the APE one is but others I know of aren't. Proper tuning is necessary in order to get the right A/F ratio.

Danno, I don't understand why you stress the right chip set that much. The MAF has to be tuned anyway, so where's the point?

I didn't see a difference with APE chips or Guru chips when I had the Lindsey MAF.

The MAF alters the signal anyway as you say yourself.

What's up with the customer complaints about delivery of products? I thought you had that under control by now.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:11 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Does the MAF do timing as well? If not, enter the importance of the chips...
Old 03-24-2004, 10:14 PM
westcoastprshe
Instructor

sorry for the hijack...

turbo951fan: Have you dyno'd your car? You have the exact same setup that I will be running soon, with the exception of the wastegate, I haven't decided which one I'm going to be buying.

Quick Reply: Are MAF's worth the money?