Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The story about the cursed 951

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2022, 07:15 PM
Floofz
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GPA951s
As i started reading your last post i was wondering when the part about a dead battery was going to come into play…. The deal is that your fan relay was bad all along… bad fan relays will cause a parasitic draw.. even if the fans are not running .. and sometimes the fans will run .. took me time to figure this out.. in any case get a different relay.. the biggest thing that sux is new relays are over 200 bucks now… but it will solve your issue.
No offence but Im pretty sure that isnt the culprit, I said that I tested a known good relay from another car and the fans still kick on when I put it in. The fans also dont kick on if I pull the connector out from the fanswitch even with the relay installed, except for the first time it happend.
Old 12-24-2022, 07:29 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Then your tempswitch is bad as well..
Old 12-24-2022, 07:36 PM
Floofz
Track Day

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Then your tempswitch is bad as well..
Which I have replaced. And it helped when I did it, but sitting in the garage for a few weeks made the fans turn on again and drain the battery. If I charge the battery the fans turn on by themselves until I either pull the relay or the connector for the tempsswitch. So sure a brand new tempswitch could possibly be broken again, its unlikely thou. The question is if there is anything else in the system that can cause this, like for example the fanresistors, what happens if theyre shorted? Do the fans not turn on at all? If so then what happens if there is no connection at all?

I should also say that if anyone in Europe (or anyone else if you want to travel) want to take this cursed car off by hands for a decent price feel free to contact me. Im pretty fed up with it at this point.
Old 12-25-2022, 01:23 PM
Toolbelt0
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Floofz
Which I have replaced. And it helped when I did it, but sitting in the garage for a few weeks made the fans turn on again and drain the battery. If I charge the battery the fans turn on by themselves until I either pull the relay or the connector for the tempsswitch. So sure a brand new tempswitch could possibly be broken again, its unlikely thou. The question is if there is anything else in the system that can cause this, like for example the fanresistors, what happens if theyre shorted? Do the fans not turn on at all? If so then what happens if there is no connection at all?

I should also say that if anyone in Europe (or anyone else if you want to travel) want to take this cursed car off by hands for a decent price feel free to contact me. Im pretty fed up with it at this point.
Best to download a wiring schematic and check all the sources of power. A long shot but, If I recall the climate control unit also kicks the fans on in cooling cycle. An internal short could do that. Might want to disconnect it and see if the problem persists.
Old 12-25-2022, 03:33 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Toolbelt0
Best to download a wiring schematic and check all the sources of power. A long shot but, If I recall the climate control unit also kicks the fans on in cooling cycle. An internal short could do that. Might want to disconnect it and see if the problem persists.
Yes, engaging the AC switch will kick the fans into high speed, but ONLY if the ignition is ON. With the ignition OFF, the fans can only run at low speed.

If you believe your fan relay is good, then if the new thermal switch didn't fix the issue (and you believe the switch is good), the harness itself may have a problem. The fan relay doesn't do anything until it receives a signal from the thermal switch to turn the fans on at low-speed or high-speed. When the fans are running at low speed the current flows through the two resistors (one for each fan), so they receive lower voltage. If one or both resistors are open circuit, then one or both fans won't be able to run at low speed.
Old 12-25-2022, 03:44 PM
Floofz
Track Day

Originally Posted by Tom Pultz
Yes, engaging the AC switch will kick the fans into high speed, but ONLY if the ignition is ON. With the ignition OFF, the fans can only run at low speed.

If you believe your fan relay is good, then if the new thermal switch didn't fix the issue (and you believe the switch is good), the harness itself may have a problem. The fan relay doesn't do anything until it receives a signal from the thermal switch to turn the fans on at low-speed or high-speed. When the fans are running at low speed the current flows through the two resistors (one for each fan), so they receive lower voltage. If one or both resistors are open circuit, then one or both fans won't be able to run at low speed.
My car doesnt have AC, so theres no AC switch. I tried it out now with a charged battery and the fans come on full speed when the relay is installed. I am 99% sure the relay is good, I dont know about the termal switch thou, its new, I just changed it a few weeks ago, but the new one couldve broken aswell. It just seems really strange. Im gonna mess with it some more after the holidays and see whats up. Im also gonna order the radiator drain tap thing from Lindsey racing, considering how often I drain and fill the coolant in this thing it could be handy.
Old 12-25-2022, 04:12 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Floofz
My car doesnt have AC, so theres no AC switch. I tried it out now with a charged battery and the fans come on full speed when the relay is installed. I am 99% sure the relay is good,
Is this with the ignition ON or OFF? If it's with the ignition OFF, then something is wrong with the relay or wiring. This car is in Sweden though, so all bets are off
Old 12-25-2022, 04:19 PM
Floofz
Track Day

Originally Posted by Tom Pultz
Is this with the ignition ON or OFF? If it's with the ignition OFF, then something is wrong with the relay or wiring. This car is in Sweden though, so all bets are off
Ignition off. Does the same thing with two different relays, borrowed a relay from a different car. Something tells me that I should just bite the bullet and take the engine out of this thing and redo everything properly. This car has and has had so many weird issues, mechanical and electrical that I feel like its the only way to actualy finally sort everything out properly.
I mean the car is worth spending money on, its low mileage, its sold here in Sweden from new so it means its never been tampered with. It has full servicehistory up until 2016 when I bought it and its never been driven in the winter, so 100% rustfree.
Old 12-28-2022, 10:20 AM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

check the fan resistor pack, they are notorious for melting the wires and shorting. My 86 is under the dash behind the glove box which all has to come out to access. The later cars are on the firewall in the engine compartment.

Old 12-28-2022, 03:28 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 73 Posts

You call your car cursed, mine has the name Murphy :P
1000 km in 6 years, 3 engine build ( one was my fault )

Quick Reply: The story about the cursed 951