cycling valve and MBC

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 04:30 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cycling valve and MBC

do i need a manual boost controller if i bypass the cycling valve? will my car blow up if i don't? or is the autothority stage 2 like the guru in which the chips dont even use the valve?
Old 03-21-2004, 09:52 PM
GWTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MBC & Cycling Valve

Wow -- I can't believe no one else jumped in to answer this question. It's a common modification.

If you get rid of the cycling valve, first, make sure you plug up the line running back to your J-pipe. You can just cut the line about 1 inch away from the nipple, and then insert a bolt into the end of it and use a hose clamp to secure the bolt.

The pressure line coming off your intercooler pipe will either need to be routed through a boost controller, or in the case of the Autothority Stage II, their special banjo bolt with the air restrictor in it. I'm not much of a fan of the Autothority banjo bolt, so try a Lindsey Boost Enhancer or a Reliaboost if you want something inexpensive that still allows you to adjust the boost.

Best Regards,
Greg W.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:34 AM
BoostSciences
Advanced

If you plug the lines on the cycling valve to bypass it and run a line directly from the STOCK banjo bolt to the wastegate without any boost controller, the most boost you will see is 3-5 lbs of boost pressure. This is because the free air signal from the intake manifold will cause the wastegate to open prematurely and prevent the build-up of appreciable boost.

If you bypass the cycling valve, use a manual controller in-line between the intercooler pipe and the wastegate. Preferably one with a failsafe boost control mechanism such as the AccuBoost (www.boostsciences.com). Please forgive the shameless sales pitch.

Hope this helps
Old 03-22-2004, 01:52 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ah, ok, thx
Old 03-22-2004, 02:28 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

what does the 'failsafe boost control mechanism' mean? i already have an accuboost, btw, damn nice.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:21 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what does the 'failsafe boost control mechanism' mean? i already have an accuboost, btw, damn nice."

That's the mechanism in the stock KLR that cuts back the boost to 2psi max-boost if it detects a fault like overboosting or detonation. But since you've overridden the stock electronic boost-control, there's no way the KLR can dial in the failsafe mode.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:32 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

sorry, i meant in the boostscience post. he says the accuboost has a 'failsafe boost mechanism', which means what? perhaps referring to the old 'if the bolt/control valve etc falls out, then your boost goes down, not up'.

Quick Reply: cycling valve and MBC