Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Blow-off valve hose

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 11:51 PM
schadenfreude
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blow-off valve hose

There's a hose which goes from the top of the blow-off valve (I think that's right) to the other side of the engine somewhere, and it keeps on popping off (at the hot side). Until I get this fixed is it going to have any adverse effects? Am I right in thinking this just means its going to vent the boosted air to atmosphere when I close the throttle shut, instead of plumbing it back in somewhere?
Old 03-20-2004, 12:26 AM
westcoastprshe
Instructor

Yes, it can/will cause problems. That little line tells the BOV when to open, it doesn't actually vent any air out of the line. The BOV needs to open when you shift because otherwise boost will try to build behind the closed throttle. It's pretty important that you keep that line from blowing off. Maybe try some zip-ties?
Old 03-20-2004, 12:40 AM
schadenfreude
Instructor

Ok thanks, so that means I'll be getting compressor stall and possibly damaging the turbo, right?
Old 03-20-2004, 01:37 AM
westcoastprshe
Instructor

Yep. Are you using the stock lines and CBV (BOV) ?
Old 03-20-2004, 02:49 AM
schadenfreude
Instructor

yeah, as far as I know the car is completely stock, apart from the stereo and brake pads I just had a look and the connector that the little hose goes into it is too hard to be able to use a zip tie on, I think... oh well at least I think I found the cause of my turbo pump problem, contacts on the relay were very dodgy

The line goes to this Y-shaped connector, one disappears to the engine somewhere (I take it this is the line that sends the pressure signal?). Is the other thing it connects to the FPR? I'm a bit of a mechanical noob, and I'm still trying to learn what all the things under the hood are
Old 03-20-2004, 03:39 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob,
I would check the CBV to make sure it's not failed. If it's bad it could be under boost presure blowing off that vaccum line. It's easy, take it off and then try to blow threw any of the openings. I should be solid. They fail a LOT.
If that's ok, try to tie wrap the vaccum connection.

Dan, (need to go change my turkey gobbler..)
Old 03-23-2004, 11:00 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can easily get a replacement for that rubber fitting from any auto parts store. As a medium to longer term strategy, you may as well replace all of the vacuum hoses. That one is at the top of the motor furthest from the exhaust. Imagine what the others must be like.

Quick Reply: Blow-off valve hose