Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

vitesse racing Quick spool option for their kits

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 10:36 AM
jean_noir
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alas many questions but still no answer. 1 more question, can the stage 3 kit (w/ quick spool) spool fast enough to be used on a daily driver?
Old 08-05-2005, 10:40 AM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Judging by feedback from users, it spools as quick as the 26/8 or faster, so yes.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:45 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jean_noir
alas many questions but still no answer. 1 more question, can the stage 3 kit (w/ quick spool) spool fast enough to be used on a daily driver?
First the quick spool is "standard" on ALL of Vitesse turbos, no longer an option.
The Stage 3 turbo makes makes 1bar boost around 3200-3400rpm. Of course a good WG is a must (which is a requirement with any turbo).

I'm sure people that have the Stage 3 will jump in with their experiences.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:42 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

My stage 3 makes 1 bar of boost at 3300 rpm in 5th gear. I have a Bursch cat bypass, SFR exhaust, lightened crank & flywheel, Tial 46mm wastegate and Profec B boost controller. I still have to install my SMT-6 so I'm hoping that when all the tuning is said and done I can get the car to spool even quicker.

As for the car being a daily driver that is how I use mine today. Because the boost is less on/off than the k26/8 or k27/8 that I was running before I would say it's probably better now as a daily driver. I never did understand all the concerns with a car being a "daily driver". It's not like you are driving an indy car with a digital (on/off) throttle, a clutch that you need to use both legs to push in and steering that only Popeye can move. I have friend with a 600 hp RX7 that idles at 1200 rpm, runs a triple plate clutch, has a dogmesh sequential gearbox and manual steering. This is his "daily driver" and he likes it. The way people are worried about "daily driving" a car makes me wonder if they shouldn't stick to an automatic transmission because maybe the effort to use the manual transmission is too difficult to use daily. Heck, why drive at all when the ultimate "daily driver" would be to take a taxi and let someone else do the driving? Then there would be no effort required to get around.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:52 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
As for the car being a daily driver that is how I use mine today. Because the boost is less on/off than the k26/8 or k27/8 that I was running before I would say it's probably better now as a daily driver. I never did understand all the concerns with a car being a "daily driver". It's not like you are driving an indy car with a digital (on/off) throttle, a clutch that you need to use both legs to push in and steering that only Popeye can move. I have friend with a 600 hp RX7 that idles at 1200 rpm, runs a triple plate clutch, has a dogmesh sequential gearbox and manual steering. This is his "daily driver" and he likes it. The way people are worried about "daily driving" a car makes me wonder if they shouldn't stick to an automatic transmission because maybe the effort to use the manual transmission is too difficult to use daily. Heck, why drive at all when the ultimate "daily driver" would be to take a taxi and let someone else do the driving? Then there would be no effort required to get around.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:23 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
My stage 3 makes 1 bar of boost at 3300 rpm in 5th gear. I have a Bursch cat bypass, SFR exhaust, lightened crank & flywheel, Tial 46mm wastegate and Profec B boost controller. I still have to install my SMT-6 so I'm hoping that when all the tuning is said and done I can get the car to spool even quicker.

Amen! My car is staying as my daily for the forseeable future. Supermounts, monoball suspension bearings, KEP Stg2, AC delete, Welt sways, Rennbay Race Balljoints, and all!

Bring on the daily driving!!!

Now to save up for those Ledas with stiff springs that im lusting after

Old 08-05-2005, 02:06 PM
AlexE
Pro

Well...........

While running an overly aggressive map this last time........ on 91 (NOT RECOMMENDED TRUST ME)

I was able to hit 15 psi at ~2900 a number of times.....on my way to 20-21 psi on my stage 2.

WHAT a difference every psi makes............. but lets just say I got a little carried away.

The bottle of fairy dust ran out.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:09 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Alex, not again? Hope you are referring to the first HG issue.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:30 PM
AlexE
Pro

Originally Posted by fast951
Alex, not again? Hope you are referring to the first HG issue.
Hehehehehe

I have two identical HG to add to the collection.

Incredibly beautifull traditional #4 blown head gaskets specimens.

In comparing my boost logs/EGT etc. It is official. The max on a stage 2 you can run on 91 octane is 18 psi with a ~11 AFR to redline with no probs. Well with some not so comforting EGT's on #4 on occasion.

At 21 ...........well what you would expect. Some wild temps. You really need to cool the charge.

What is interesting that an intake with some equal length runners could allow you to run a little higher and we would not have this extreme leaning out on #4.

BUT Its really all in the name of science John.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:33 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had as low as 3109 /1 bar on the datalogger with stage 3.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Special Tool, was yours in 5th gear as well?
Old 08-05-2005, 03:10 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AlexE
Hehehehehe

I have two identical HG to add to the collection.

Incredibly beautifull traditional #4 blown head gaskets specimens.

In comparing my boost logs/EGT etc. It is official. The max on a stage 2 you can run on 91 octane is 18 psi with a ~11 AFR to redline with no probs. Well with some not so comforting EGT's on #4 on occasion.

At 21 ...........well what you would expect. Some wild temps. You really need to cool the charge.

What is interesting that an intake with some equal length runners could allow you to run a little higher and we would not have this extreme leaning out on #4.

BUT Its really all in the name of science John.
I like repeating myself... 15PSI max on pump gas, and that will be 93oct!!!! The new turbos are VERY efficient, but no need to push it...

You ran 21psi on 91oct???? You are lucky it was just a blown HG.

Would you email me the logged data?
Old 08-05-2005, 03:11 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Fairy Dust? Don't you guys know the proper hot rodding term...it's juju dust not fairy dust.

As for the "extensive machining"... Here is my spin on it.

To spool up quicker the spinning bits need to spin sooner with less spin force. To get spinning bits to spin sooner with less spinning force there has to be less spinning bit to spin. Removing bits of the spinning bit must be done carefully. If removing bits of the spinning bit gets the spinning bit out of balance the spinning bit will spin itself apart when it really gets spinning.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:19 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

isn't the mainshaft crossdrilled? Usually near the bearings? I know of other turbo shops who do that as well!
Old 08-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

After having my kit installed for a while, I was able to get 15 psi @ 2800 RPM's on the dyno in 4th gear, with 109 degree ambient air temp, a MBC, and a tial W/G. Oh yeah, the car was pretty far out of tune. This is the "old" stage 2.

Quick Reply: vitesse racing Quick spool option for their kits