Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Best way to reinstall 951 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 04:01 PM
czentner
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best way to reinstall 951 engine?

Hi guys,

I removed the engine out of my '88 951 early this summer to do a full reseal. I am almost done with this job and am in the process of starting reassembly.

My question is how much of the engine can be assembled before reinstalling the engine, and what needs to wait until the engine is all the way back in?

Based on how it came out, I am thinking that I can have the turbo with crossover pipe connected, attach the crossmember to the engine, then place the engine under the car and pull it up and on the torque tube shaft. Then install the steering rack afterwards.

Thoughts? Tips from those who've done this before?
Old 08-09-2020, 06:00 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Put everything together and leave the intake off. Also notch the bellhousing and install with ref sensors. Once you have the engine in place you can loom all of the wiring and final oil lines to the oil cooler. By everything, I mean the exhaust manifold, crossover, up pipe, downpipe. Aos balance shaft covers oil pan, obviously the turbo the pedestal mount the bell housing the cylinder head. Leave the power steering and alternator and intake for once the engine is in place. Finalize with your electrical loom, oil lines, and fuel and intake plumbing. be sure to remember to install your heat shields at this point especially the brake booster heat shield before you put the intake manifold on

Last edited by kev951; 08-10-2020 at 07:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
czentner (08-10-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 07:12 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kev951
Put everything together and leave the intake off. Also notchy the bellhousing and install with ref sensors. Once you have the engine in place you can loom all of the wiring and final oil lines to the oil cooler. By everything, I mean the exhaust manifold, crossover, up pipe, downpipe. Aos balance shaft covers oil pan, obviously the turbo the pedestal mount the bell housing the cylinder head. Leave the power steering and alternator and intake for once the engine is in place. Finalize with your electrical loom, oil lines, and fuel and intake plumbing. be sure to remember to install your heat shields at this point especially the brake booster heat shield before you put the intake manifold on
What he said. It really saves a lot of time notching the bellhousing. Just make sure to use the updated sleeves and bracket for the sensors from the service bulletin.

An engine pull on this car is really not all that bad, other than maybe wrestling with old rusted exhaust fasteners. I'm currently doing work on my 300zx that required the engine out. Now that car is a real PITA!

Quick Reply: Best way to reinstall 951 engine?