Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fuel pump cover removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 03:00 PM
RonD.
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fuel pump cover removal

I think I read about this on some thread but I'm not sure. Does anyone have a procedure to follow? Looking at mine it just does not look possible without cutting? and reusing to wrap new pump with hose clamps or gorilla tape.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:59 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

No cutting needed.

Remove the 2 screws holding the corner access panel to the big cover-- in rear passenger corner of cover -- then remove the access panel.

The pump is clamped to the cover with a big worm clamp. If the adjusting screw for that is accessible at the bottom of the cover, loosen it all the way until the clamp comes apart and can be pulled out of the cover. At that point, the cover can be removed... If the adjusting screw for the worm clamp is up inside the cover, then you need to separate the hose between the tank and the pump under that access panel, and disconnect the hose on the passenger side of the fuel filter, so that you can remove the cover with the pump still clamped to it. Make sense? Don't forget to drain the tank first. I just did it the old fashion way but pulling the hose off the tank, sticking my thumb over it, and putting a 1/2" hose on it to direct it to a gas can. That was a mess, but I only had a gallon or two to drain. Some folks use the existing pump to pump the fuel out via the feed line at the rail.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:36 PM
RonD.
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Tom,

I should have clarified I am referring to the rubber cover on the factory original?? fuel pump. I know someone had a post about removing it like removing a bicycle tire from the rim. Looks to me like a real PITA. My reference to cutting it was the rubber cover. I know you can use a piece of big rubber hose or silicone hose to wrap new pump. I'm just a stickler about keeping it factory original. My thought is to simply use a razor knife and cut it length wise, out with old pump in with the new, attach strip of black gorilla tape, re-install pump clamp it to big cover re-install w/factory strap 13 mm bolt.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:49 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Ah sorry. I was able to get mine off a long time ago, but then cut it in a futile attempt to re-use it on a big 044 pump. Try hitting it with a hair dryer and warming it up to make it more pliable, along with some soapy water to reduce the friction. I think I had a bearing press that was the right size, so I could push the pump down with lots of pressure. You could probably work up something similar with a big washer or the right size paint can etc...
Old 07-31-2020, 11:34 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

I did this recently... I thought the same as you at first, it just looked like it could not stretch enough. However, it will... it does take a fair amount of force though, but once started it slides off OK. I did it in the garage on a relatively cool day, but using a hair dryer and some soapy water as Tom suggested sound like good suggestions. Putting it on the new pump was easier.

If the old pump is scrap, that will help as you are free to let the ends of the pump press against a table, floor etc. without worrying about damage.

I wish now I had taken some notes or pictures, as I don't remember precisely how I pushed on it, but it did stretch over and I got it on the new pump without any damage.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump cover removal