Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AutoThority Stage II Chips

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 10:06 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if you check the link to my posting about my "new upgrades in and car running" I have a few little subjective tests that I run, timed acceleration from x speed to y speed (not 100% accurate, but a big enough difference will easily be detectable) and I have a favorite hill where I've tested no less than about 8 different cars on it, come out of a corner, get the wheels straight, be in the best gear for acceleration and punch it (no driveways, no blind spots, no houses, very few trees even) and I go to a certain point, then brake hard. It's uphill as well, this adds to the challenge to see just how fast the car is. I was about to exceed 90mph with the new Guru chips in the car. With the Autothority chips I was around 80-82mph. The run is a fairly good distance up a long hill. In fact as I mentioned, I wondered if I'd get it slowed down in time before I started getting to an area with driveways and such again (try to be civil in front of the neighbors ) and coming over a crest on the hill, so I let off and started braking early.

But for me it wasn't just that only....with the Autothority chips in the car my car would "shudder" under boost sometimes, especially under load (like on a long hill in a high gear). That is totally and completely gone. The boost comes on faster watching it climb on the gauge and seat of the pants it hits harder. Once I get my SFR exhaust installed and the bung put on it so I can monitor my AFR with my wideband, I'll be ready to monitor and crank the boost up some and know what's up and feel safe about having a bit more boost (still running about 14 right now where I had the Autothority chips set). Probably a bit rich right now, but it shouldn't be too bad for that difference.

Originally posted by Peckster
How do you know? I mean, it's so subjective, when you spend money on your car you really want there to be a difference.

Has anyone done a dyno test of the two on the same car? When they do, I'll think about swiching to Guru.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:33 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard a few people mention that their cars shudder under load wit APE chips but I haven't found that to be the case with mine for some reason. It is actually VERY smooth when it gets on the boost, reaches full boost and whoops my *** a little bit. The only engine roughness I might consider existing is after getting off the gas when in full boost... I think thats just the Motronic adjusting to the changing conditions though seeing as it only lasts for about 1 second... kinda like a *clunk clunk* sometimes before feeling smooth again. I'm used to a similar feeling in the beater S-10 but that is obviously my dying tranny. The Porsche seems to actually feel like the engine causing it rather than the transaxle (though I could be wrong... though I pray I'm not!).

Either way, could someone please explain the whole "jetted bajo bolt" idea to me.
1) What exactly is that?
2) Why does it help the chip performance so much?
3) Would a LBE help the chips performance in the same way?
Old 03-15-2004, 11:09 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

When you let off the gas totally in these cars, it is my understanding that the fuel is just about totallly cut off.....that could make it feel a bit odd I suppose.....

Glad yours run better than mine did! My 951 stock is probably the highest number I've seen for an 86 with a K26/6 (unless the orginal owner had it converted to a 26/8 or something along with the other 89 suspension stuff he put in it). I've got the dyno chart from 101k miles and at that time (20k miles ago and no mods), it put down 201 RWHP. Lowest of the 3 runs was like 195 RWHP. That's a very healthy and strong stock engine..... I'd like to see what it would do now (especially after the SFR exhaust goes on soon and I can up my boost and keep AFR near 12.5).

The jetted banjo bolt is just the bolt with a smaller hole in it. Means it restricts air more and thus you get higher boost (I will let someone else explain why). The shims are to help the wastegatte not open so early when boost does hit. If you use the LBE, Danno says it has a different curve as it doesn't let any air through until the air pressure it is set for is reached where the banjo bolt is always bleeding some through....LBE can bypass the CV, banjo bolt alone you probably cannot.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:53 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Waterguy

They lean out at higher rpm but are extremely rich in the mid-range. Since replaced by GURU chips, reliaboost and 3 bar fpr; no dyno results yet but much better spool-up, mid-range torque and drivability.

So it seem's like the APE chips do tend to lean out up top by looking at these different dyno charts.Could the APE chips cause premature HG failure?
Old 03-15-2004, 03:07 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

I'am useing ape stage 2 chips running 15 psi there is no studder at all just pulls hard!
Old 03-15-2004, 03:19 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by jsonnen
So it seem's like the APE chips do tend to lean out up top by looking at these different dyno charts.Could the APE chips cause premature HG failure?
Tazman has an electronic boost control, not the jetted banjo bolt which is why his setup was running lean @ high rpm's with autothority.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:26 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

I've got a set of ape chips as well. I've noticed a bit of lurching when I accelerate at half to three fourths throttle as the turbo spools up, but never at full throttle. I'd prefer if it pulled smoothly at all times since my car is a daily driver for me. After reading a bit on this board, I'm thinking that I might want to get a set of Guru chips to replace these, but that has to wait until everything else is fixed up.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:56 PM
toolu
Track Day

hello people. are the weltmeisters made by ape?
also how is the drivability/fuel milage on guru chips compared to stock or ape.(gas is getting expensive)?
thanks.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:12 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

I don't think weltmister are made by ape as fer as i know.

You should get about 25 miles per gallon when not on boost.

As for as drivability is comcerned on guru chips i have not seen any issues with them! on this board.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:07 PM
T-Man
Intermediate

Where can you order this Banjo Bolt?
Old 03-15-2004, 05:26 PM
toolu
Track Day

I THINK I MIGHT JUST BE A QUADRA-JET CARB JET SCREWED INTO THE FACTORY BANJO BOLT. NOT QUIT SURE OF THE JET NUMBER, MINE IS UNREADABLE.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:43 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Never had stock chips to compare mileage to. When you aren't on boost the O2 sensor should be in play keeping your AFR near optimum and your mileage up very close to stock. If you are on boost, that's another matter....you need to keep a good AFR which is slightly rich for best results and the fewest problems.

I think Autothority may have been selling Weltmeister chips under their name? Either way, I have the original bag they were sealed in with the Autothority license agreement, the receipt for the purchase....and chips with Weltmeister labels on them.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:16 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Before my swiss did his conversion to stage 1 from vitesse, he was useing a set of weltmister chips, and on the dyno he achived 230hp at the wheels at 13.5psi of boost. His af ratio was on the rich side about 10.5, by the way this was a mustang dyno.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

"I don't have any '86-88 dyno-figures for the new 18psi chips yet, so perhaps Eyal's car will be the 1st candidate. ToddK also mentioned something about dyno-testing his latest 18psi GURU chips as well, but I've given him a customized chip for his car because he's got a GURU wastegate as well"

I'm very cool with that. Danno, I'll be in Santa Barbara this Sunday on the drive with the 993 guys. I assume you'll meet up with us somewhere. Maybe instead of following em back down, we can get those chips in so I can dyno them for you next week. I'll give you a call sometime and we'll talk.
~Eyal
Old 03-15-2004, 08:39 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Ok, so the bajo bolt really IS just jetted as a carb would be (or nitrous nozzle, etc..). Interesting! So it's a simple replacement for shimming the wastegate or replacing it all together, am I correct? If this is the case, I'm assuming I would be taking full advantage of my chips having the LBE on my car set at the stock 10psi opening setting.

Pk... I hope to get those numbers on the dyno!

As for gas mileage, I was on boost a decent amount on the trip home and got a best of 29.4 mpg on one tank of gas on the highway.

Quick Reply: AutoThority Stage II Chips