Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

"AWAITING TAGS" ... I now own a 951!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 02:42 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking "AWAITING TAGS" ... I now own a 951!!

Hey everyone,

I'm happy to report that I got the 951 this weekend and drove it down to campus from the owners house in Kentucky. You might have seen the car in the classifieds. It's the guards red that was in Kentucky (might still be posted, not sure though). I can't thank Nick Coleman (a member himself) and his wife for all they did to help me out the past couple months. Not only did he drive to his local DMV to get information for me, he even had the car PPI'd for me, and had the mechanic send a copy of the inspection to me in the mail. They offered to pick me up from the airport and even put me up for the night. The mrs. not only greeted me by name when I arrived, but even went so far as to send me on my was with a bag of homemade cookies!

Ok, that being said, the drive home went by without a hitch as far as mechanicals and law enforcement were concerned (I kept myself in check for the most part and stayed near the speed limit... most people were passing me). I loved how boys ages 6 - 76 would check out the car and at least smile, many time gawk. Two asian girls passing me by on the highway leaned over and grinned as they snapped shots of the car.

The real story from the trip (by the way, Prospect, KY -> Melbourne, FL is 951 miles!!) was an encounter with a brand new 996 Targa. I was minding my own business in the right lane of I-24 doing a little bit over 70 when I see a 20-something guy behind the wheel of this thing doing about a buck. Being a new Porsche owner of only a few hours, I felt obligated to wave and say "hi" to him. Well, I hit the gas and caught up with his speed just as he got in front of me. Well a few cars ahead in our lane were doing under the speed limit so we slowed down to 60-ish. I wanted to pass him when the traffic cleared up, so I throttled it again hoping to get into the right lane and wave. Well I'm guessing he thought I was challenging him or something, because he gassed it too and there we went! Well I was on his tail until my detector beeped like South Park's censor (false reading though, had a lot of those) and I hit the brakes at about twice that speed. Though it was short lived, and I was watching my back for a blue-light special for 5 minutes... it hit me about half an hour later: I was dead even with a brand new 996 Targa!!

I was happy to get 30 mpg on the highway through this trip. And though I thought I would grow accustomed to it and find it at least slightly more bland, the car continues to impress me more and more just driving it around town!

More updates later, I'll shuttup and post some pics for ya...

Me and Lorelie (that's her name by the way... German for 'temptress') at the PO's house (Nick...)

"AWAITING TAGS"

Getting gas at Shell..

Getting food at a Georgia Subway
Old 03-14-2004, 03:00 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great

You have an aftermarket boost gauge installed or on the way, right?
Old 03-14-2004, 03:03 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

Congratulations!

Nice story, reminds me of my trip too.
What kind of brakes are those by the way?
Old 03-14-2004, 03:27 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Kevin, glad to hear you got the 951!
It looks gorgeous! I can't wait to see it when you get it home- speaking of which - when are you going to get it home?

Old 03-14-2004, 05:21 PM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congrats Kevin!

I have been using my 944 NA as my daily driver all winter long. Got a chance to take the 951 out this weeknd while I worked on the 944 NA. Feels great to have the boost

Thanks for sharing your story! Nice pics by the way.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:40 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Awesome!!!! Glad to see you've finally joined the fold!!!!

Nice car!!!! Welcome to the addiction.......

And nice job showing the 996 owner that he can't ignore us
Old 03-14-2004, 06:51 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

congrats!!!!! :tup:
Old 03-14-2004, 08:17 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Ok, to answer everyone (I love it, I'm finally answering about my own Porsche)...

Adrial... in the future, yes. But right now I'm sticking with the stock one. Though it isn't as accurate or have the precision and ability to read past 2 bar absolute, it seems to read in accordance with the chips maximum boost... ok, ok, I admit it; the real reason is it's on there, and I'm broke! In the future though...

Kurt... I'm not sure if the are of stock spec, but I will email Nick and see what he knows of them (did Porsche ever paint the calipers red for the 951s?)

Paul... thank you, I hope to see you around as well! I hope you can make it to the local gathering I hope to organize for May or June! I'll be back in the first days of May after I finish exams, pack up and leave FL.

Everyone else.. thank you for the warm welcoming! Andrew, I agree. The NAs are wonderful drivers... but the turbo just makes it ballsy!
Old 03-14-2004, 08:20 PM
p0wp0w
Pro

wow congrats it looks beautiful!

How many miles that thing looks gorgeous!
Old 03-14-2004, 08:27 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

bought with 163,078, now at 164,0XX. It seems to have been babied previously, so now that I have kinda worked out the turbo and engine a little bit, it will continue to be babied for a while (until I have money to upgrade, track, and fix). The miles were almost all highway miles it seems.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:30 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet!!
Damn, 30mpg is good,......... too good......use more boost
Old 03-14-2004, 08:42 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

So does the stock boost gauge peg 2 bar or read slightly below?
Old 03-14-2004, 08:43 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

...Hey now! NO tempting allowed. Lorelie does enough of that all her own... I think I used plenty of boost actually. I don't want to break her when I don't have the cashflow to fix her up.

Hey B... I have a hunch I could more than keep up with a stock Turbo S, but definitely not yours! WOW the upgrades make me drool! One day...

Quick Reply: "AWAITING TAGS" ... I now own a 951!!