Exhaust on the highway!! :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 09:56 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Exhaust on the highway!! :)

Well, bitter sweet feelings. Wasn't ready to put on new exhaust, but now that I have to, might as well do it right.

Clipped a big *** speed bump and pulled something loose. Then tried to make it home and it gradualy dropped the rest, from the teswt pipe back on the road on the way home. Got home and just had inlet pipe and muffler left. Which looks orignal and clogged up anyway.

Any suggestions on most bang for the buck? rally can't do the $500 SS polished, etc. etc. and don't think I would anyway.

What can a local muffler shop do??? Just looking t orun 3" from right before where test pipe would have been, back to a new free flow muffler.

Can they even touch it without the cat?? Legallities and what not.

Can I just get some 3" straight pipe and the muffler and let them do the rest??

Also, does there need to be the return for the trubo, i.e. whats left is just the two pipes right where the test ipe would tie in. 1 coming from the downpipe then the other from the wastegate??
Old 03-13-2004, 10:31 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Oh, and where is the O2 sensor mounted? I didn't loose that did I ??

I must have jinxed myself by by thinking about a new exhaust while ordering my EGT guage Which coincidentally arived the same day this happened.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:12 AM
Chas
Pro

I know on 86's the o2 sensor is mounted in the crossover right before the turbo hotside inlet...I would bet in 87 they did the same thing.

I was in a local shop a while back talking with a friend that worked there, and overheard someone talking about how good this other guy was with making exhaust.

Went and talked to him about it, he showed me his truck where he made his own dual pipe exhaust from the headers back, looked amazing.

If you can find someone local that can mandrel bend and has good pipe and tons of experience, it's definitely the cheaper way to go
Old 03-13-2004, 11:26 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah.....now I know the reason for your asking about the costs on the GB

If you can't get in on the grouo buy, check out Lindsey's website for their mild steel setup (they offer ceramic coating for $100 more if you want that for longer life, better heat control). I talked to a local shop about fabbing some stainless stuff back from the downpipe and the costs to do it with welding bits and parts of pre-made mandrel bent stainless were goig to end up comparitively close and wouldn't have been nearly as nice looking and would have lots of welds in it. If you don't care about that, you might get them to do it anyway, but the Lindsey mild steel exhaust might also be an option for you with their 3" setup. You'd be looking at about $600 with shipping for their basic setup with muffler. However for me I'd want a stainless tip (another $35) and ceramic coating since the mild steel isn't as resilient as the stainless for another $100. So you're now within $150 of the group buy.

Yes, from what people say, I'd definitely get a wastegate tie-in. Wastegate to atmosphere (although doable) has been said to sound kinda dorky

Your O2 sensor should be fine. It's on the crossover going up to the turbo. Look up above where your test/cat pipe is gone from and you should see it up in there mounted to the pipe going up to the turbo.

Legalities.....find an exhaust place that does a lot of performance cars....this one here didn't flinch or say a word about mine not having one on it right now. He would have fabbed it without one without even blinking by my guestimation. He was however very honest about it and told me although it lost my business with him, that getting me a pre-made one designed for it would be a better option. Cat back wouldn't be a big deal though....

How are your bolt holes to the downpipe? Hopefully you haven't damaged any of the stuff that holds on the turbo when it got yanked apart.

And yes....I had to work this morning for someone on vacation, so I'm really bored and raising my post count

I hope this helps....I know the being in a tight financial bind thing and sometimes that $200 might be more than you can swing to get in on something else.

Good luck!
Old 03-13-2004, 12:00 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info guys!!!

Trubo944: In regards to tieing in the wastgate pipe, what exactly is needed? Can I just have the pipe from the downpipe and wastegate pipe attach to a Y pipe then one straight pipe back to the muffler??

Are there any drawbacks to dumping wastegate to atm??
Old 03-13-2004, 12:34 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Check out the images on the Lindsey and Speedforce Racing (and Fabspeed) webpages. Shows you exactly how they are tied in. The wastegate pipe is only used when boost is being dumped down it, so the connection to the main pipe is mainly just a Y as you have mentioned.

I don't know that I'd want a dump to atmosphere without running that pipe near the edge of the car at the side or rear for the street. It's dumping exhaust which would normally go through your regular exhaust and muffler right out of there with carbon monoxide, etc. which if right up under your car could get pulled into the cabin in the right conditions. Plus, it's raw exhaust sound without any muffling....so that might get the attention of the local gendarmes....something you'd prefer not to want to do anyway if you're boosting enough to open the wastegate.

Boost to atmosphere (cycling/blow off valve) is no big deal as that's just compressed air. I actually enjoy hearing them "hoot" as some of them do sometimes.

I have video of a 930 with a wastegate to atmosphere at home....his spring was a bit flaky and would open and close the wastegate quick, but you can hear it really, really well. Has since been sent into the exhaust. It's VERY loud. Driving with my windows down and the radio pumping and driving my car pretty hard, I wondered at first if I had an exhaust abou to fall off the car...then I realized it was the kewl 930 like 100 yards AHEAD venting to atmosphere. Since it's at the rear of the 930, it wasn't a real problem like it could be coming out right under the passenger cabin in a 951.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:25 PM
Chas
Pro

I guess I wouldn't share the same concerns about venting the wastegate to atmosphere.

Think about when the wastegate opens...almost never in first gear...and all the other times it's open, which is under hard acceleration, the car is moving at a decent speed. So it's not like you're idling at a stoplight and dumping CO into the cabin.

And I stay off the boost when I am in the presence of the authorities anyways :-)
Old 03-13-2004, 01:36 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

I've had exhaust coming into the car even at decent speeds however when I had an exhaust leak up under the car, even further back than the wastegate tie-in and had to have it welded up. It was a tiny leak and pointing straight down at the road (which is how I found it blowing a leaf under the car one day)....the wastegate wouldn't let in probably enough to kill or even incapacitate you, but you'd smell it....that would be my concern....sometimes it's nice to get a little whiff, but in general I prefer not to smell it.

And the authorities are sometimes around and you just don't see them......had that happen more than once....you don't see any and suddenly one is right there in your presence! But yes, I do tend to stay out of the boost if I see one present

But if one isn't too far away.....he has a good chance to hear you if he's sitting in his car having lunch and waiting for a radio call.... I'll post up the sound later. It sounds pretty wild on the 930 at full chat....
Old 03-13-2004, 03:39 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Todd, we've got the system off of the race car project, we have the one off of Jims old car sold but the one on the track car project is still there.

blpski@yahoo.com send me an email, we'll work something out if you need it.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:29 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You're in FL - if you're not replacing with a stock setup, get one of Broadfoot's exhausts off ebay, they go under $400 most of the time and look very well made, you get full SS at Lindsey's mild steel price. Broadfoot is in FL, so you might be able to pick up - either way, you'll save some shipping.

Sam
Old 03-14-2004, 08:10 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Oh, didn't know they are are in FL.

Hey Brett!! Is that a stock system??
Old 03-14-2004, 08:11 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Anyone suggest a good aftermarket muffler? Don't want muscle car sound and don't want rice.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:36 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

i'm thrilled w/ my fabspeed... but bang-for-the-buck the lindsey mild steel one is unbeatable. tim's setup (the SFR exhaust featured in GB not THAT long ago) seemed decent except the actual muffler / canister (i used to work @ a ricer shop as some might call it, and the brand i recall being the same as the 'generic' ones we used to order/sell).

you're lucky you didn't damage the turbo / mounts / etc since there's no flex section on the 951.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:36 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Found a race shope here in town that a guy does side work there on weekends. Going full 3" from downpipe, wastegate vent to atm (if it is too loud, he said he can tie that pipe in later) back to free flow muffler. Parts and labor about $250 3" pipe is pretty damn big!!

He also does other custom work as well. Might get him to make ups some slick IC pipes.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:23 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Awesome....glad you found something you could afford that will work well for you! Yes....3" is BIG. I was looking at the stock pipes the other night while putting some penetrant on the bolts and just thinking how big they already looked!

Quick Reply: Exhaust on the highway!! :)