Spring rates

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 12:20 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Canyon Blaster, yup, mine are original, 96k and probably just about ready to snap. I think I am probably just going to replace them with the OEM ones (or rebuilt ones, they are damn expensive). I wanted to ask about upgrading since I'm doing them anyway, but it's so involved, and I'm quite new to the suspension stuff, I think I'm probably better off going with new OEM until I know exactly what I want to do. The car is a street car. I'd like to do some auto-X this summer, but nothing serious.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:54 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I personally prefer a car that oversteers at higher speeds and understeers at lower speeds. Do that by going with shocks that have more resistance to compression in the rear and stiffer springs in the front when starting with an "ideal" (perfectly neutral) handling car. Ofcourse you make the car a bit less forgiving when going beyond the limits, especially if you overcorrect to an oversteering condition, but there's always a trade off...
Ahmet
Old 03-11-2004, 12:56 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I should also add, I personally don't see anything wrong with an understeering car as far as safety goes. Even from a driving fun perspective, I would prefer a 951 with 400lbs/inch springs in the front only over a stock one any day.
Ahmet
Old 03-11-2004, 04:06 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the body roll is what you want to firm up; have you thought 1st of all to lower your car, set your shocks to max stiff front and mid stiff rear and upgrade your roll bars front and rear to 968CS size. I find on the road you don't want to go stiffer if you want to keep your teeth?

Quick Reply: Spring rates