Bolt question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 01:13 AM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bolt question

Bolt
what is purpose of this bolt? It's directly below oil line for turbo on balance shaft cover? It doesn't thread in. In process of doing clutch/oil pan gasket/turbo rebuild/short shift kit/control arm rebuild/Nissan alternator/rod bearings. Either bolt snapped when I was undoing something, or it's been that way. Should I kill myself now?
Old 04-26-2020, 01:47 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

That's one of the balance shaft bearing cap bolts----the 1987 and newer 944 blocks had updated balance shaft covers with integrated bearing caps. So, that bolt is important, since it affects proper clearance at that balance shaft bearing, which helps to maintain oil pressure not only at the balance shaft but to the turbocharger itself.

Unfortunately, you will likely need to pull the balance shaft cover and repair the threads and/or extract the broken piece of the bolt.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:51 AM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Droops83
That's one of the balance shaft bearing cap bolts----the 1987 and newer 944 blocks had updated balance shaft covers with integrated bearing caps. So, that bolt is important, since it affects proper clearance at that balance shaft bearing, which helps to maintain oil pressure not only at the balance shaft but to the turbocharger itself.

Unfortunately, you will likely need to pull the balance shaft cover and repair the threads and/or extract the broken piece of the bolt.
Ok. Does anything else bolt onto that bolt? Heat shields/ brackets etc? I've been running like that for years unless it's something I just undid, which I don't think so. Oil pressure has always been good. And next question, with junk removed, any way to pull balance shaft cover without undoing front of engine again. Did front reseal last year.
Old 04-26-2020, 02:27 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by moalaska
Ok. Does anything else bolt onto that bolt? Heat shields/ brackets etc? I've been running like that for years unless it's something I just undid, which I don't think so. Oil pressure has always been good. And next question, with junk removed, any way to pull balance shaft cover without undoing front of engine again. Did front reseal last year.
Is the bolt broken, or is it cross-threaded? If it's just the threads, you might be able to repair them and use a new bolt if you are lucky, but you need to be careful to not get any metal shavings anywhere they shouldn't be. But, if you can't get the bolt to torque to spec, then you'll have to pull the cover and install a Time-Sert.

If the bolt is broken, then you should pull the cover and extract the broken part. You will need to remove the balance shaft belt and the upper balance shaft spocket and front cap again (and get new seals for those), but that is not too bad of a job. You won't have to touch the timing belt.

This would not likely affect your overall oil pressure, but could possibly cause a pressure drop specifically at that bearing and at the turbo or at least cause wear at that balance shaft bearing. Imagine a main crankshaft bearing cap that is only fastened by one of the two nuts. Sure, it might have been like that for a while and you've had "no issues," but it would be foolish to leave it as is when you have all of this stuff apart.
Old 04-26-2020, 02:48 AM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Is the bolt broken, or is it cross-threaded? If it's just the threads, you might be able to repair them and use a new bolt if you are lucky, but you need to be careful to not get any metal shavings anywhere they shouldn't be. But, if you can't get the bolt to torque to spec, then you'll have to pull the cover and install a Time-Sert.

If the bolt is broken, then you should pull the cover and extract the broken part. You will need to remove the balance shaft belt and the upper balance shaft spocket and front cap again (and get new seals for those), but that is not too bad of a job. You won't have to touch the timing belt.

This would not likely affect your overall oil pressure, but could possibly cause a pressure drop specifically at that bearing and at the turbo or at least cause wear at that balance shaft bearing. Imagine a main crankshaft bearing cap that is only fastened by one of the two nuts. Sure, it might have been like that for a while and you've had "no issues," but it would be foolish to leave it as is when you have all of this stuff apart.
Ok, I got 3 nuts, left to pull turbo and then I can pull that bolt out and see if it's broke or what. At this point pulling balance shaft cover will only add 1 year to my 2 year job that started out as a 25 hour clutch job.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:29 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Keep in mind that the balance shaft spins at 2x the crank speed - so at 13,000 rpm its kind of important!!
I doubt its broken, cant imagine how that woudl happen, did you try to crew it back in?
Old 04-26-2020, 05:55 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
Keep in mind that the balance shaft spins at 2x the crank speed - so at 13,000 rpm its kind of important!!
I doubt its broken, cant imagine how that woudl happen, did you try to crew it back in?
Ill have the turbo off today so I will be able to then pull the bolt out and fiddle with it.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:15 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Busted.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:25 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Well that's unfortunate. I think it's a hardened bolt too, making the extraction all the more fun. Whatever you do, don't use a screw-in EZ-OUT... Is there any part of the threads sticking out still? If so, that may be a great place to try welding a nut on and spinning it out.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:37 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Well that's unfortunate. I think it's a hardened bolt too, making the extraction all the more fun. Whatever you do, don't use a screw-in EZ-OUT... Is there any part of the threads sticking out still? If so, that may be a great place to try welding a nut on and spinning it out.
I have no idea if there are any threads sticking out. will have to pull balance cover to do that, which means pulling balance belt, and I don't know how i will get back plastic cover off without pulling timing belt also. would also have to hire a guy with a welder to do that as well if it comes to that.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:11 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by moalaska
I have no idea if there are any threads sticking out. will have to pull balance cover to do that, which means pulling balance belt, and I don't know how i will get back plastic cover off without pulling timing belt also. would also have to hire a guy with a welder to do that as well if it comes to that.
Oh yeah, sorry, forgot that you do have to pull off the rear timing belt cover to get the front cap off the balance shaft . . . but at that point, removing timing belt isn't all that bad if you've just done the job and already know what to do.

Sadly, that bolt is snapped right at where the threaded portion begins, so I doubt there will be enough sticking out to be able to get a nut welded on. Which means you'll probably have to drill out the broken section, which is tedious but is doable if you get your center punch dead in the center of the broken bolt and go slowly and in several stages. Just be sure to mask off the remainder of the balance shaft opening to ensure no metal shavings get in there. I have occasionally had success using left-handed drill bits for drilling out broken bolts. The idea is that once enough of the bolt is drilled out, the anti-clockwise rotating drill bit will at some point "grab" the hollowed-out bolt section and back it out without having to drill out all the way to the threads. This sometimes works, but oftentimes doesn't.

I agree with Tom about extractors, do not use them unless you are to the point where you have a weakened shell of a bolt, if at all. Those suckers are even harder to drill out than the original bolt!
Old 04-26-2020, 09:31 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, sorry, forgot that you do have to pull off the rear timing belt cover to get the front cap off the balance shaft . . . but at that point, removing timing belt isn't all that bad if you've just done the job and already know what to do.

Sadly, that bolt is snapped right at where the threaded portion begins, so I doubt there will be enough sticking out to be able to get a nut welded on. Which means you'll probably have to drill out the broken section, which is tedious but is doable if you get your center punch dead in the center of the broken bolt and go slowly and in several stages. Just be sure to mask off the remainder of the balance shaft opening to ensure no metal shavings get in there. I have occasionally had success using left-handed drill bits for drilling out broken bolts. The idea is that once enough of the bolt is drilled out, the anti-clockwise rotating drill bit will at some point "grab" the hollowed-out bolt section and back it out without having to drill out all the way to the threads. This sometimes works, but oftentimes doesn't.

I agree with Tom about extractors, do not use them unless you are to the point where you have a weakened shell of a bolt, if at all. Those suckers are even harder to drill out than the original bolt!
Yeah it also appears I'll have to remove my brake master cylinder to have enough room to get a drill in there. At this point I'm almost thinking just pull the engine. From the length of the bolt the should be 2-3mm sticking out of the block.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:36 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

There is also EDM extraction, but you'd likely need to get your car to a shop that can do that...

I've been using my 3D printer lately to make drill jigs for situations like this where the drill bit needs to be placed exactly right. The idea is to make a piece, maybe an inch+ thick, that bolts on to the balance shaft area using 4 or 5 of the existing bolt holes. Where the broken bolt is, you just have a small hole exactly in the center of the broken bolt. That hole is the size of whatever drill bit you are using (start smell, with reverse bit), so that you can drill it dead center without it dancing around on you or going in on an angle. You could make one free hand out of wood or metal with a lot of care, but the 3D printer can put the hole exactly where you want it every time. If you have a little time, I could probably even make one for you...

Here's a picture of a similar jig:
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...&highlight=jig

That one was to make a mounting bracket/flange, so the plate was drilled on a drill press. For drilling free-hand, you'd want it much thicker so the bit is sure to be plumb...
Old 04-26-2020, 10:07 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

There is also EDM extraction, but you'd likely need to get your car to a shop that can do that...

I've been using my 3D printer lately to make drill jigs for situations like this where the drill bit needs to be placed exactly right. The idea is to make a piece, maybe an inch+ thick, that bolts on to the balance shaft area using 4 or 5 of the existing bolt holes. Where the broken bolt is, you just have a small hole exactly in the center of the broken bolt. That hole is the size of whatever drill bit you are using (start smell, with reverse bit), so that you can drill it dead center without it dancing around on you or going in on an angle. You could make one free hand out of wood or metal with a lot of care, but the 3D printer can put the hole exactly where you want it every time. If you have a little time, I could probably even make one for you...

That one was to make a mounting bracket/flange, so the plate was drilled on a drill press. For drilling free-hand, you'd want it much thicker so the bit is sure to be plumb...
well i'm waiting for a bunch of parts, and realistically was looking at about a month to finish my project before this happened. so Ill work on getting front belts off, so I can pull BS cover, and we will see what the situation is at that point.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:05 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

EDM is the last resort. We sometimes have to send magnesium 911 cases with broken head studs to the local EDM guy; he is quite good, but you are at his mercy at that point. He charges for however long it takes to get the broken bolts out, as he should, but it easily gets into four figures sometimes . . . .

I can't see the pics of your 3D-printed jigs on that forum, but put me down for some when you are done, I will gladly purchase something like that!

Quick Reply: Bolt question