Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need to replace tires, having trouble finding new ones.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 06:02 AM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been enjoying the Troffeo R's a LOT!

Old 03-27-2020, 07:05 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by beamishnz
I've been enjoying the Troffeo R's a LOT!

Paul! So you finished your car?! Cup wheels look amazing!👌 Shoot me a email on the car😉

So is that the R spec Trofeo? Please tell more on tires and sizes!
Old 03-27-2020, 07:17 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Car is still work in progress but it is out on the road and has been competing i a few events with better than expected results.

Thanks for the comments re the Magnesium phonies. I'm pretty pleased with how they came out.

The 245/45 R16 tyres are always a little difficult to find but at the moment there are some really good options out there for hi performance DOT tyres. I have tried a lot of them and would comment as follows (reverse order of preference):

Toyo TR1 - Good value and I guess a useable road tyre but insufficient grip basic motorsport and as they get older (2 yrs+) truly horrible in the wet.

Toyo 888R - A favourite of a lot of club racers. Mid range value and an improvement over the 888. When new they have pretty good dry grip and I'm told better in the wet but not up to the performance of some of the other options below. My issue with these tyres is that they lose their nojo about half way through their wear cycle andthat is pretty soon... once they loose their mojo they are very average.

Bridgestone RE-11. Really good all rounder with high levels of dry grip, Pretty reasonable in moderate rain. Reasonably quiet on the road and last way longer than the other options I tried other than Toyo TR1 which fail on many other levels. I used these for a number of years for road use and competition. Sadly RE-11 stock is depleted and I'm told not longer being made.

Pirelli Troffeo R. I bought this as it was the control tyre for a local race series. I expected it to be similar to my much loved RE-11 but it is MUCH better in terms of a motor sport tyre. It is giving me 1 sec lower times on 40 sec autocross tracks. Hi levels of grip. Hi levels of control. Really progressive... The nicest tyre I have ever used. I';m told it is ok in the wet but have not tried it. I use it to drive to and from events but unlike the RE-11 I would not use it as an everyday road tyre simply because they are expensive, have shallow tread and I am told that they wear quickly. I've done 5 events on them and they look to be about almost 25% through their life.

Yokohama Advan A052. I've not tried these yet but heard great things about them... TireRack say they have had great feedback from AX users. A comparative test shows ultimate grip to be close to the Troffeo with better wet and better cold performance. Their wear ratings suggest that they will last longer than the Troffeo and considerably cheaper. Feels to me that I could keep them on the car between events so keen to try them when I next need a set.

BEST SELLER

Old 03-28-2020, 10:41 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Tirerack has Pirelli P Zero Rossos in 245/25/26 and 225/50/16 also.

Quick Reply: Need to replace tires, having trouble finding new ones.