Turbo Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 11:23 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo Thermostat

How to tell if the thermostat for the turbo water pump is blocked/open (basically needs to be replaced)? Not the thermostat on the water pump, mine is new and with lowered temp, the second thermostat for the turbo cooling.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:43 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

If you can see the coolant getting pumped back into the resevoir after the motor is shut off, then I believe the turbo t-stat is opening. At least I think so -- can someone confirm that?
Old 03-03-2004, 11:04 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, when the engine off, the pump comes on and the coolent level gets lower...........???
Old 03-03-2004, 12:18 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Pull it out and boil it in water to see if it opens, otherwise just replace it. I think its about a $10-11 part.

The coolant pump running after shutdown does not directly indicate that the therm is working or not. It runs off a relay for approx 30 sec after shut off regardless. However there is also a temp sensor in the loop for the coolant pump and if the pump is running while the car is running, that may mean that the therm is not opening (because the temp sensor is indicating the coolant is too hot, so it turns on the electric pump). It also may mean the temp sensor is bad. I had a temp sensor fail and the pump ran all the time, to include after shut down. It acutally ran until the battery died.

Quick Reply: Turbo Thermostat