Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Do Mods hurt the value of these cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 09:41 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Question Do Mods hurt the value of these cars

I was just wondering if mods hurt the value of 951s if they are well maintained and driven lightly. I know most people would probably think that a modded one was beat on, but at least mine is driven gingerly 99% of the time. Just curious. Thanks for the replies in advance.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:49 PM
joseywhales
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought mine it was completely stock and I paid a premium to find one here in DFW. I searched for 3-4 months. But if the PO has all records and car checks out to have been well maintained, then it's up to the ole car God. Good Luck. Scott
Old 03-01-2004, 09:50 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont think it will add value significantly, though the more you spend the more your car will get, to a point. Look at the heavily modded cars liek TonyG's. They are getting double the "normal" sale price of a non modded 951. But likely 30-40% of what it cost to get it there. It would make for an interesting economic curve... I think light mods will do nothing to the price. Probably get a better perception if the mods replaced parts like Koni suspension etc...
Old 03-01-2004, 09:52 PM
joseywhales
Instructor

Ditto NZ951!
Old 03-01-2004, 09:53 PM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I recently purchased my 951 with some mods, knowing that I would be doing them anyway. I probably over paid for mine, but I know that I saved a lot of money by buying a slightly modded one rather than doing the mods myself.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:57 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I to paid a premium for my car. But mine was completely stock with the exception of the C2 turbo wheels. I was scared to buy a modded one, but that is why I was curious what you guys thought. I am not in means trying to sell my car, just got curious.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:01 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was 100% stock. In fact I doubt anything major was ever replaced. It had 80km on the clock. Now its a different beast and how god and Ferry intended it to be screwed with.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:01 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i bought mine like Brantley did - with the mods that i would have done had i found a stock one. i probably overpaid a bit as well, but for me it was a turn-key car.
turned over 113k today.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll never get your money back on mods. Part of it is the value in the buyer's eyes. Everyone wants to mod their cars in their own way, not someone else's. So a stock unmolested car is prized more.

So as a seller, it's a bad thing to have modded car because you're losing more money than just depreciation. As a buyer, you can have one hell of a kick-*** car with little money. But you also have to be aware that you may be picking up a car that's just around the corner from needing a complete rebuild.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:17 AM
J Chen
Drifting

NO It does'nt hurt resale
just your wallet.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:05 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it could also depend on the mods and how easy it would be to return said car to stock. Painting it in a funky psychedelic pink probably hurts resale value more.... If you keep all of the parts to return the car to stock and you have a nice clean car and the removed parts were cleaned up and stored well and the owner has lots of receipts and the car gets a great PPI, I don't think those mods would really hurt it too much.

When you get to changing things that can't be put back to stock easily by a new owner, all of the original parts are gone from the mods that were done, original parts were trashed, then you can start questioning if the person making them knew what they were doing. If the car is tired and dirty then I'd question how they cared about it for maintenance and how they treated it while driving (gear banging, burnouts, etc.).

My car had several light mods on it including the Lindsey dual-port WG and their stage 1 intercooler already with some Autothority chips. The car was in great shape (120 worth of stone chips and a few little things here and there), but overall the car was in very nice shape. The owner wasn't as knowledgeable as he could have been, but he also realized at the same time that too much boost was too much and was afraid to go too high on it. Altogether I paid a bit more than what it would have been stock, but I liked the mods already done to it and that saved me at least the difference in cost just in those mods. He had the smarts to do these things before upgrading the turbo, etc. so that puts me closer to that stage myself. Plus it came with a very nice set of wheels, which also helped out as well.

From the buyer's perspective, it can run the gamut from wanting to own and drive a totally stock car to someone who wants to mod the heck out of it and may love what you've done already. As many different kinds of buyers/would be buyers as there are owners. If you find someone who loves your mods, a higher asking price may be acceptable. For someone wanting stock, you may have to sell some parts on Ebay and let 'em have the car stock.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:52 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Danno
You'll never get your money back on mods. Part of it is the value in the buyer's eyes. Everyone wants to mod their cars in their own way, not someone else's. So a stock unmolested car is prized more.

So as a seller, it's a bad thing to have modded car because you're losing more money than just depreciation. As a buyer, you can have one hell of a kick-*** car with little money. But you also have to be aware that you may be picking up a car that's just around the corner from needing a complete rebuild.
Well said on both parts!
Old 03-02-2004, 01:55 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

As long as they don't involve spray paint and the interior
Old 03-02-2004, 02:44 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

I agree with that, The mods that I did to my car where more reliability mods then anything else. I was having major problems with my stock afm and so I decided rather than going back to the stock afm I would upgrade to a hotwire maf, so that I could tune the car. I appreciate all of your input.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:54 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well race cars are different. Proper race cars (with log books) or very well prepped DE cars can go for much more than stock. Only issue is finding the right buyer for the car.

Quick Reply: Do Mods hurt the value of these cars