Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

'86 944 Turbo Stored indoors for 19 years rebuild!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 09:31 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Stationary or not you can press it and it will work as it should. It’s a debunked myth that pressing it while moving will strip the odometer gear.
Myth or no myth. That is exactly when my gear broke. I tried resetting it while moving. To me the gear looked like a different color than the rest of the gears surrounding it. That indicates to me that it is intentionally built to fail at that point and save the rest of the system in a situation of binding.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:03 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Myth or no myth. That is exactly when my gear broke. I tried resetting it while moving. To me the gear looked like a different color than the rest of the gears surrounding it. That indicates to me that it is intentionally built to fail at that point and save the rest of the system in a situation of binding.
What happens is the gear wears and once it wears to a certain point, when it should really be replaced, pressing the reset button finishes it off.So if yours failed when you pressed it then it was already bad.

Think of it logically, that gear hardly moves even if you were going 100mph you can barely see it moving, so resetting it while moving isn’t the issue.

On a new or good condition gear you can press that reset button whenever you like, it’s not going to break anything.

Last edited by MAGK944; 01-17-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:53 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
What happens is the gear wears and once it wears to a certain point, when it should really be replaced, pressing the reset button finishes it off.So if yours failed when you pressed it then it was already bad.

Think of it logically, that gear hardly moves even if you were going 100mph you can barely see it moving, so resetting it while moving isn’t the issue.

On a new or good condition gear you can press that reset button whenever you like, it’s not going to break anything.
I wish I were an ant sitting in the dash at the time of failure. lol
Seriously though. The plastic was literally melted not broken. The particular type of plastic porsche used is different than all the other gears . Its designed to fail at that point. Similar to a crumple zone on a chassis. To me that means a situation can occur that a bind will make it fail.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:12 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I wish I were an ant sitting in the dash at the time of failure. lol
Seriously though. The plastic was literally melted not broken. The particular type of plastic porsche used is different than all the other gears . Its designed to fail at that point. Similar to a crumple zone on a chassis. To me that means a situation can occur that a bind will make it fail.
An ant lol, you could figure out a lot of stuff being that small.

Yes it is a weird kind of plastic that seems to turn to gel as it ages then crumbles to bits. One of my cars I’ve owned since new and I’m in the habit of resetting the odometer every time after filling up the tank, moving or not. The gear finally failed when I reset it, the car was 15 years old and had over 80k miles on it at that time.It had had many moving resets prior to failing and the gear virtually disintegrated when I went to swap it out.

The other thing these gears are known to do is become detached from the shaft causing a miss alignment failure. Again folk think that’s caused by resetting it on the move, it isn’t, it’s the adhesive they used hardening and breaking away. That one reset was just the final straw.

Last edited by MAGK944; 01-17-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:43 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Hey Man that's a really cool steering wheel. Italvolante?

Old 01-19-2020, 01:40 PM
eshane
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the carpet down in the hatch around the spare tire and look at the option codes. Post them here and we'll tell you what your turbo has