Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

SFR stage 3 turbo... Tim? Others?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 04:54 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Any pictures of this specific turbo?

Like some of you guys go on with it's turbolag it sounds to me like the turbo is more of this size:

Old 03-03-2004, 07:50 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by eclou
I find it amazing NZ that you can reply to your own posts repeatedly every 3-5 minutes. Try to hold out to 15-30 minutes so others will have a chance to get a sentence in?
I wasn't going to say it- I just read through this whole thread- some pretty good points, but- NZ- do you realize that out of just over 100 total replies, you have posted in this thread 48 times (counting your intitial post)? DAMN! It's allright- I'm not ragging you- I've done the same thing a few times, on a smaller scale, but, the edit button really is better... As for the oil & water vs oil-only, I'd be very interested in hearing how this works- I didn't know Tony Garcia was doing this- are you sure he is w/his current K27 #6? IF you have the budget to do the link, then why aren't you considering doing it, or, another stand alone, like Tec 3, etc...? Just curious... I've considered it, but, I'm sick of all the tuning ideas- I want simplicity for my car, as it is a street car...
Old 03-03-2004, 08:35 AM
J Chen
Drifting

Robby,
Tony is using a full Garrett
60-1 hifi with T4 hot housing.
If I'm not mistaken he's running
a ball bearing CHRA
Old 03-03-2004, 09:45 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by J Chen
Robby,
Tony is using a full Garrett
60-1 hifi with T4 hot housing.
If I'm not mistaken he's running
a ball bearing CHRA
I just talked to him on the phone today- he advised me to get a K27/6 like HE had- I'm not sure either, but, that's what he said./..
Old 03-03-2004, 10:18 AM
J Chen
Drifting

Yes Robby, Tony was running a K27/6
way back. Right now I'm about to install
a 60-1hifi with stage V turbine. If it's
too laggy, I too am comtemplating to
go for a K27/6 myself & keep the 60-1
till I upgrade to 2.8 or 3L engine.
I always say any advice from Tony
should be taken into serious
consideration.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I really don't like the idea of using the #6, personally- it goes against what Cervelli used to advise & for the reason that the #8 just makes a lot more overall HP/TQ- the drop-off of the #6 seems to be much greater, despite it's slightly quicker spool-up- of course, I'm already using a K26#8 since I'm in a Turbo S, so I'm sort of used to it- the thing is, w/proper wastegate spring, mods, chips, etc, the spool-up should STILL be find w/the #8- I would think you could get a K27#8 to spool several hundred rpms quicker than a K26#8 w/the right tuning- granted, a #6 would be even slightly quicker, but, again... I guess it just depends on what you want- I think in terms of the quicker spool only hepling me for a few second- once you've wound up the turbo in ONE gear, it helps you no longer- then, you keep it in hte rev range for the rest of the gears & have an extra few huindred rpms w/an extra 20-30HP/TQ all the way up... I don't have much experience & there are no working 951's around here to drive anyway- too many of these cars have just crapped out from age, so, I can't say for sure, but....
Old 03-03-2004, 10:36 AM
J Chen
Drifting

Well Robby, since you've already
a K26/8 than by all means convert
it to K27/8. Danno has been testing
a K27/8 which produces 360 rwhp.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:39 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Are you being sarcastic? I didn't mean to knock the #6 by any means, I'm just saying that based on what I'VE heard, that a #8 seems the better overall choice, except for on tracks, where specific applications may make more sense- Danno's expereince is some of the reason why I lean this way. I DO Realize that a K26#8 IS different than a K27#8, but, I would thikn the charactierstics would be similar- am I incorrect here?
Old 03-03-2004, 11:03 AM
J Chen
Drifting

No Robby, you misunderstood me.
What I'm saying is that since you've
already a K26/8, you might as well
save some money & send your K26/8
for upgrading. With the money you
saved you can spend it on upgrading
the chips from Danno to match the
K27/8. The reason that I'm suggesting
to go K27/6 is base on my personal
experience. After I upgrade my wastegate
to Tial, the boost build up is so fast & I
like it alot. I'm sure I'm not going to get
the same low end performance from my
60-1 hifi. Well, I'll know very soon to if I can
live with the lag of the 60-1.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's cool- I didn't know it was that easy to do- I had heard of people turning their K26's into 27's, but thought it was BS- I have talked w/both Majestic & Technodyne- neither knew jack sh** about anything- they would both tell me they'd ask someone else & would call me back the next day & I would never hear from them again- MULITIPLE times too... who CAN turn the K26 into a 27? How much should it cost? Have you ever actually seen it done before?

Thanks
Robby
Old 03-03-2004, 11:22 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

Yeah,

I am also interested in the 27/6 upgrade. Tony once recommended a Kali company who would do it for $600 or so.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:36 AM
J Chen
Drifting

Robby,
Try this : brammal-turbo.com
Someone mentioned that they
are the cheapest.
BTW, I did'nt know that to share
ones experience & giving advice
could sound sarcastic.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:43 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by J Chen
Robby,
Try this : brammal-turbo.com
Someone mentioned that they
are the cheapest.
BTW, I did'nt know that to share
ones experience & giving advice
could sound sarcastic.

It was my mistake- It was the way you worded it- it's sometimes difficult to tell a person's tone through writing/typing- not to mention sometimes, people from different countries, dialects, etc, speak slightly differently- When you said the word "well" right before my name, it made me think- I was pretty sure you were being sincere, actually, but, just didn't want to feel stupid, so I asked- you had already said you were considering a #6, so, I thought it might be possible that by my mentioning a preference for the #8, that I might have offended you & your retort was: "WELL Robby- if you already have a #8 & think it's so great, then....by all means...!" I understand now though- no probs...

Do you know anyone, OR know OF anyone, who has sent a K26 in & had a K27 made out of it? I'm just a little leary of that- I guess b/c I don't really have a full understanding of it... I would really only want to send my turbo there IF I knew of at least one or two others who've done the same thing & had satisfactory results- I've been ripped off so many times now, that I'm about to the point of not trusting ANY place w/my $$$ unless I've personally seen their work through someone else- it's sad, really... Do you know of anyone who's done business w/Brammal-turbo?

Thanks
Robby
Old 03-03-2004, 12:44 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Sorry for not responding soonner.We have been pretty busy.

About restrictors, we have sold many turbos without them and really have not had any problems except for the BB turbos.We definitely reccomend using a restrictor on a ballbearing turbo.On a standard bearing turbo, you can use one if you prefer but typically it is not the end of the world if you dont.

About watercooling, water dissipates heat 5 times better then oil alone which means you should get more life out of your turbo by running the watercooling.In most cases we prefer to run the watercooling.

As far as coking goes.....these cars have a tendancy to coke the bearing housing because most of us shut down our cars without letting them cool down appropriately.This is why so many import guys use the turbo timers.

As far as me knowing about turbos.....After doing this for quite a few years I can size a turbo exactly for your needs.Some guys want big power and they have to sacrifice spool-up to get it.Other guys want low-end torque and they have to sacrifce top-end to get it.There is aways a little give and take when it comes to turbos so you have to decide what you want. This is why I ask our customers, how much power do you want to make,at what bost level and how much lag are you willig to accept!

To comment on Turbofan951s statements......I just cant see how a turbo with an 8cm turbine housing and a stage 3 turbine wheel is going to be alot slower to build boost then another vendors turbo with the same hotside and turbine wheel because the truth is that it wont.This is a fallacy.If you are not getting good spool-up with the turbo then you have other things that you need to look at.For instance, are you runing the stock wastegate and exhaust.These wil hinder the performance of any turbo.What are your mixtures like? If you are pig rich or really lean it will affect spool-up time.If you are running stand-alone is your timing too conservative.etc......Take care.

Last edited by TurboTim; 03-03-2004 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:00 PM
J Chen
Drifting

Sorry Robby, I can't comment
on Bramall. No experience with
them either. E-mail them & see
what they say. Looking at their
website it is obvious that they
are a KKK dealer which is'nt bad
to start with. Aaah My Swiss is
Canadian maybe he can shed
some light on this. Hey Steven,
are you reading this thread ?

Quick Reply: SFR stage 3 turbo... Tim? Others?