944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Kicking off my ghetto 3.0T Express Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004 | 12:03 AM
455Turbo
4th Gear

Ok, I'm fairly new to 951's and 968's. How does a 951 head, from an engine with 100 mm bore spacing fit on 968 block, with 104 mm bore spacing?
Old 02-29-2004 | 12:39 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Songzz,

We are working on very similar projects. I just broke down my 968 block today. Not sure what turbo or engine management I will use yet, although I was planning to use Carrillo rods rather than 951 rods. Also planning to use the new Mahle pistons. Sounds like you are planning to get yours done sooner than me though. Keep us posted. --Tom
Old 02-29-2004 | 01:14 AM
Songzzz
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 455Turbo
How does a 951 head, from an engine with 100 mm bore spacing fit on 968 block, with 104 mm bore spacing?
Good Question. 1. Water passage needs modification to mate them together. 2. You’ll have to enlarge the perimeter of the 951 Head, minimal material removed, irregardless of what pistons you use.

Originally posted by Tom M'Guinn
We are working on very similar projects. I just broke down my 968 block today. Not sure what turbo or engine management I will use yet, although I was planning to use Carrillo rods rather than 951 rods. Also planning to use the new Mahle pistons. Sounds like you are planning to get yours done sooner than me though. Keep us posted. --Tom
I receive an offer for my 951 shortblock. If that works out, I will go for Pauter Rods. Tom, have you figured how to tap the turbo oil feed and return line? Perhaps we can exchange emails on this.
Old 02-29-2004 | 01:53 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Songzzz
Good Question. 1. Water passage needs modification to mate them together. 2. You’ll have to enlarge the perimeter of the 951 Head, minimal material removed, irregardless of what pistons you use.

I receive an offer for my 951 shortblock. If that works out, I will go for Pauter Rods. Tom, have you figured how to tap the turbo oil feed and return line? Perhaps we can exchange emails on this.
No, I have not gotten that far yet. But since I am sending the block and crank to the machine shop, I may just have them tap the pan and b/s cover for me too. Can't imagine they would charge too much -- probably less than the cost of trying to find the right drills/taps, etc. Are you planning to do it yourself? You have the taps, etc?

Quick Reply: Kicking off my ghetto 3.0T Express Project