radiator for racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 02:38 AM
Andrew Wojteczko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator for racing

Hi,

Has anyone had any experiences with the plastic endtanks on the stock rad failing in a road race environment? If so, I have not seen many options for aftermarket rads, what are some good alternatives? Also, with a properly ducted stock rad and large oil cooler in place, will overheating be a concern?

Thanks,

Andrew Wojteczko
Old 02-24-2004, 08:37 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So far after a couple seasons on the track, I've found that the stock radiator works just fine; except for when I crashed at Laguna and had to replace it. One day, it was 46-C degrees at Willow Springs with a a track temp of 57-C degrees. During a 30-minute full-throttle sessions, the temperature never got above 3/5th on the gauge. After I pulled off the track and slowed down, the temp. would creep up a little to the 2/3rd mark. But after slowly driving up to the Balcony and coasting down, it was back down at the 1/3rd mark like normal by the time I got back to the pit.

Oil-temperature is a concern that I'll attack next. The hot oil dropped pressure from 5-bar on the gauge down to 3.5-bar while under full-throttle. A larger oil-cooler should remedy that.

Last edited by Danno; 02-24-2004 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:17 AM
Andrew Wojteczko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what gauges are you using? do you have an aftermarket water temp?
Old 02-25-2004, 03:39 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope stock water-temp gauge. But I am adding a oil-temp, oil-pressure and fuel-pressure to have some more diagnostics on board. So far the has not been a problem. Some of the guys with dedicated race cars remove the thermostat to get a little more flow. Although I suspect the main limiting factor in the cooling system is the surface area of the radiator. That'll determine how much heat can be shed per second.

Quick Reply: radiator for racing