Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Weld CV Joints for Drag Strip? (Purists need not Reply) :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 09:58 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great responses, guys! It helps me alot to get everyone's view on this. Rob I think you may have something there with the U Joints. I dont think it would be too expensive to have an adaptor machined to be able to take advantage of this. Although I dont think U Joints are very good either in terms of handling high horsepower. But with the switch to U Joints, we can take advantage of upgraded units for the many cars that have them, instead of the relative exclusivity of a rear CV joint setup that we have.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:10 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Also if I was to go the route of machining an adaptor, maybe its possible to use Honda Drag Half Axles, and have the Shaft Shortened/Lengthened to the correct length. That would probly me less invasive than switching to U Joints.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:16 PM
vogel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Boostguy,

Whatever you do, don't let any of the ******* convince you that you shouldn't try to improve your car in EVERY way that you can.

You might find some info from some of the people in my thread in the Modifications section, which i raised the question of placing a C5 trans in the 944. i've also spoke with Scott from Renegade about building a massive 968 rearend with billet side plates and bearing races. If you solve one problem and cause another, fix the next problem. That's how stuff gets done.

The purists in the porsche crowd continually amaze me. Quite frankly, i don't care what porsche had in mind for my car. I don't think any company ever had drag racing in mind when they started to hand the blueprints over to accounting, but for some reason all the magazines still use the 0-60 mph test???? what???

I've had extensive conversations with people like Nero, who owns the TITAN motorsports Toyota Supra. They recently went to a solid rearend, but they successfully put nearly 1000hp through an independent rearend running 10.5 wide DOT approved tires in the street tire classes. Wheel hop was the killer that started the chain of effects.

kevin
Old 02-19-2004, 10:18 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any idea what kind of Axels Eddie Bellow was using?
Old 02-19-2004, 10:33 PM
vogel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Magown
That's a great question! Eddie ran a company in NJ (i think) called Bellotech??? He had another car built and showed it at SEMA, but i've never seen or heard of it being out on the scene since then (that was 2001-02)? I understand the problem was one of sponsership. His car had no major sponser, which in some organizations is required.

I had his phone number once. I got it from Chasis Engineering in FL, they did some tube work for him supposedly and when i told them i was building a street/strip 944, they told me to call him. i've never been able to reach him.

And then there is the drama with the stolen parts that were found in his shop... Some reputable third party people said that it was about a dispute between a customer and eddie. A customer gave eddie parts that were HOT, and they were in Eddie's shop for the build. (Bello's didn't know they were hot) This customer hadn't paid for the services and when eddie wouldn't give the parts up to him, he called the police and they found stolen parts in eddie's possesion. I heard that it was all cleared up now. But that's just what i heard?!
Old 02-19-2004, 10:37 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally posted by Magown
Stolen ones?
Old 02-19-2004, 10:59 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eddie Bello Busted as Part of Luxury Car Theft Ring
3/28/2001

NEW YORK - WCBS - This report found on www.cbsnewyork.com - There won't be any more laps around the track for a well-known drag racer from the Bronx, who was among three body shop owners arrested in connection with the theft of luxury cars from Westchester, WCBS 880's Marla Diamond reports.

Eddie Bello, 35, who has won fame with souped-up Porsches on the import drag-racing circuit, was arraigned Saturday in Mount Vernon on a charge of illegal possession of a vehicle identification number, District Attorney Jeanine Pirro said.

Bello, known as the East Coast Assassin in drag racing circles, owns Bellotech Performance on McQuesten Parkway in Mount Vernon, where he works on his racer and other cars. The owners of two neighboring shops also were charged with the same felony: Robert Benedettini, 42, of Yonkers, owner of Star Auto Body, and Anton Shkreli, 33, of the Bronx, owner of Evropa Motors.

Pirro said investigators at Bello's shop seized two Porsche engines and two Porsche transmissions, all with defaced identification numbers. At Evropa, they took two Porsches with defaced identification numbers, plus a Mecedes Benz engine and five air bags, similarly defaced, she said. They also found an illegal 9 mm handgun, the district attorney said. And at Star Auto Body, they seized a partially dismantled and defaced Lexus sports utility vehicle and a small amount of the drug Ecstasy, she said.

Pirro said the arrests stemmed from the investigation of a stolen-car ring that had specialized in swiping luxury vehicles from Westchester driveways and parking lots and shipping them to Asia. Eight men were arrested last month.

Illegal possession of a vehicle identification number is punishable by up to four years in prison. More charges could be filed, says Pirro, if the men were shipping auto parts internationally.

Last year, Today's NHRA magazine, which covers the National Hot Rod Association, said Bello, driving a white Porsche 911, had reached 161 mph while covering a quarter-mile in 9.17 seconds.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:21 PM
Turbo16v
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Eddie bello is still around. The last time I was running at Englishtown (end of summer), he was there running an insane looking 1994 3.6 911 turbo s flatnose. I also agree with Boostguy951!! You don't need to drive a mustang to like dragracing. I drag race a 1988 VW scirocco. Last season I was running consistent mid 11sec 1/4miles @123mph. This year I am switching to a Garrett GT35R and running about 30psi. I hope to be in the 10's and still be street legal. Obviously my stock axles would not hold up to that kind of power. Axles and CV's just like anything else (i.e. pistons, rods, etc...) you have to upgrade them to handle the power. I am running the stage III axles from the Drive Shaft Shop in NY. There slogan is "we specialize in the impossible". Check them out. BoostGuy, they may be able to help you out. When I finish building my 951 and take it to the drag strip and when (not if) I break a CV, I will see if they can make me up a set for my car. They are not cheap, my vw ones were $800/pair but you don't have to worry about them breaking!!!! Hopefully everyone will lighten up and stop saying buy a mustang or camaro if you want to dragrace!!! Besides, I love staging next to a camaro who cuts a 1.6 60ft and then I reel him in by half track.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:37 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

His newest ride was to be a 2000 996 before the Chop-Shop incident (I have no records of him going to jail BTW). Someone here or on the email list used to be his roomate, I just cant remember who.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:48 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Short answer to the welding question is -

NO- due to the fact that the car has an independent rear suspension and the CV joint facilitate the suspension movement. The only way to achieve what you're after is to get a rear end out of a Mustang or similar and adapt it.

I broke a CV joint a while back doing the drag thing. Failure mode for me was a shredding of the internal cage that keeps the bearings located inside the races. Nothing was left inside but damaged bearings and big twisted chunks of metal. There was another post mentioning that his failure was a case of the bolts coming out from the joint itself, that can be prevented easily. If you're set on doing this drag thing, you should seriously look into safety wiring the bolts on any assembly that will be shock loaded, like the CV joints.

Not that I'm a purist about dragging Porsches, but dragging in general is very hard on equipment because of the shock loading. Having been around racing for a while, I've come to look at drag racing like an automotive form of T-ball for peewees learning baseball. Not much thrill after a run or too. Next will be who can get down and back first. Then will be down and back, down and back, and before you know it, you're doing the turn left and nail it thing. Then the idea of turning left AND right will look attractive and then you're ready to see just how good a driver you really are. Like I said, I can care less what you drive in the 1/8 or 1/4, just that there's not much skill involved and it's very hard on the drivetrain of the ride.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:58 PM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Matt H

Pirro said investigators at Bello's shop seized two Porsche engines and two Porsche transmissions, all with defaced identification numbers. At Evropa, they took two Porsches with defaced identification numbers, plus a Mecedes Benz engine and five air bags, similarly defaced, she said. They also found an illegal 9 mm handgun, the district attorney said. And at Star Auto Body, they seized a partially dismantled and defaced Lexus sports utility vehicle and a small amount of the drug Ecstasy, she said.
Looks like someone knows how to have a good time!

the guy posted earlier:
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...postid=1071168

has got to have solid axles.
Anyone know who that is?
Old 02-20-2004, 12:11 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Vogel- Thanks for the encouragement, let me know how things go for you in the transmission scenario. I plan on developing a similar setup as you, with 3+ liters of displacement, 16 Valves, and a ton of Boost. I plan on going to a T66 and running around 27-28 PSI at the track.

The only way to achieve what you're after is to get a rear end out of a Mustang or similar and adapt it.
I beleive this to be incorrect. Again... I am not looking for a drag only car. I will not ruin the phenominal handling of the car by converting it to a solid rear axle.

Old 02-20-2004, 07:11 AM
Danno
Race Director

"Having been around racing for a while, I've come to look at drag racing like an automotive form of T-ball for peewees learning baseball. Not much thrill after a run or too. Next will be who can get down and back first. Then will be down and back, down and back, and before you know it, you're doing the turn left and nail it thing. Then the idea of turning left AND right will look attractive and then you're ready to see just how good a driver you really are."

Dave, you're too funny! You just summarized Doug Hayashi's Pyramid of Speed from his NSX-Files website[/u].
Old 02-20-2004, 08:10 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the wheels wouldn't turn if both sides aren't able to plunge ?!?!
Old 02-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pretty good Danno

I've heard it put that with $15k, grandma's Buick and a Jegs catalog, it's easy to build a 10sec car and still have enough left over to train a chimp to drive it and still be able to get a Big Mac on the way to the track.

Back to topic though- look under the car at the angle of the axles relative to the transaxle and you'll see the problem. Those axles flex through a range of motion and to stop that from happening, you have to either make the suspension insanely stiff in the rear (ruining any other handling qualities) or change to a solid axle (ruining any other handling qualities). Also note that the change to SRA will entail a front mounted tranny, altering the balance of the car.

Quick Reply: Weld CV Joints for Drag Strip? (Purists need not Reply) :)