Good place for clutch job in MI

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 12:25 AM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Good place for clutch job in MI

Hey everyone - I was wondering if any one has had really good luck with any dealer/Porsche specialty shop. I need to get a clutch done this spring, so I can drive the car how its meant to be driven. I have been told about a few places around Grand Rapids, but I am open to anywhere within a reasonable drive of southern MI.

Thanks

Matt
Old 02-19-2004, 01:05 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Question

Hey Everyone - Is there really no place good to have a clutch done in MI, or Ohio or somewhere right around here?? Or has nobody from MI even checked this thread out?

I know there is a few Shady dealers, including Howard Cooper Porsche in Ann Arbor, and I was very dissapointed with the knoledge of the mechanics at Yark Auto (Porsche dealer) in Toledo.

I forgot to mention what kinda of car I have, but I kind of assumed you all would know by my name. But I have an 1987 944 Turbo.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 02-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Sach951
Pro

Howard Cooper of Ann Arbor -- They do what needs to be done, they do it on-time, and they charge a ridiculous amount. Not that a specialty shop is going to charge any less. They weren't too friendly either... Tried to get to know some of the representatives and they either blew me off or didn't bother to take the time to so much as speak to me beyond making a deal. I had to use them for an alignment.

Eurotec Motorwerks of Ann Arbor -- Speak _directly_ to Tim Pott, the owner of the shop. He originally was _the_ Porsche division at Howard Cooper. Yes, he was _it_. He knows his stuff. Builds and races his own 914s putting down over 200 from the original engine. That's impressive.

If you speak directly to Tim Pott and establish a relationship with him, he will treat you very well. Tell him that I ( Sacha, I can PM you the rest of my name ) sent you. HOWEVER, do everything you can to speak DIRECTLY to TIM POTT. Again, SPEAK DIRECTLY WITH TIM POTT. I shall illustrate...:

Car spent... two months? Sitting outside the shop, me getting dicked around ( forgive the language ) constantly by the desk person, waiting for waterpump/belts/front seals. I wasn't happy with this given that you can't ride a motorcycle all winter. I made sure I spoke _directly_ to Tim Pott, and it was ready for pick up the following business day. I just had the retension done -- dealing _directly_ with Tim Pott -- dropped the car off one evening, picked it up midday the next. In fact, we got to talking, and his plethora of knowledge is amazing. He was even so kind as to invite me out to Waterford in the spring.

The work was spot-on, and service is excellent, as long as you deal _directly_ with Tim Pott. Can I say directly again? Directly. DIRECTLY. Damn desk people...

Best Wishes,
Sach
Old 02-19-2004, 04:23 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Howard Cooper made a nightmare out of Dan87951's (sp?) clutch job. It's in the archives...

How's A2 these days? I miss it...
Old 02-19-2004, 07:18 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, I heard many stories about Dan87951's car, and the nightmare he had with Howard Cooper. Dan's a real good friend of mine - he actually is the one that got me hooked on the 951's.

I am open for sugestions for a place that does GOOD work, thats not more then about 5 hours of a drive from Ann Arbor. It could be longer, I dont mind as long as the work gets done RIGHT, and I dont have to take it back and complain.

I am also here in Ada, Ohio right now at school. The car is back home nested away in the garage, but If there are any good places in Ohio, or even Indiana. I am looking to get this done pretty soon, so the car is ready for the summer.

Thanks for you input and sugestion Sach951 - go ahead and PM with your name, and possible the phone number, and/or website for Eurotec Motorwerks if you could.

Thanks

Matt
Old 02-20-2004, 01:06 AM
Sach951
Pro

Where in Mich are you generally located Matt?

Cheers,
Sach

PM on the morrow...
Old 02-20-2004, 09:37 AM
jace
Intermediate

Matthew951,

I'll let you know as soon as I get my car back.......

Really, there is a guy here in Toledo that has been recommended to me by a couple fellow PCA members who I respect. My car is there right now for some minor stuff. However, coincidentally, I did discuss the clutch with him. He said it would take about 20 hours of labor, plus the parts.

The guy you would want to talk to is Bob, here's the rest of the info:

The Shop
225 Alexis Rd. (near the Powertrain plant)
419-478-4600

If you want to PM me, I'll let you know what I think after I get my car back!

Jace
Old 02-20-2004, 10:47 AM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Sach951
Where in Mich are you generally located Matt?

Cheers,
Sach

PM on the morrow...
Sach,

I live west of Adrian. Small town. I only spend about 3 or 4 months out of the year during the summer at home, and other times during the year when I am not at school here in Ohio.

Matt
Old 02-20-2004, 10:54 AM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by jace
Matthew951,

I'll let you know as soon as I get my car back.......

Really, there is a guy here in Toledo that has been recommended to me by a couple fellow PCA members who I respect. My car is there right now for some minor stuff. However, coincidentally, I did discuss the clutch with him. He said it would take about 20 hours of labor, plus the parts.

The guy you would want to talk to is Bob, here's the rest of the info:

The Shop
225 Alexis Rd. (near the Powertrain plant)
419-478-4600

If you want to PM me, I'll let you know what I think after I get my car back!

Jace
Jace -

Go ahead and let me know what you think of the work you are getting done. Let me know how it goes.

Did you mean you were recomended to go to Yark Auto? I talked specifically with the mechanic that checked out my car, and he tried to tell me that the clutch was fine (it slips under hard driving, and it is definatly worn, its at the end of its life for sure) and my oil pressure sender does not work - as it pegs out all the way, even though the oil level is fine. He said it was becuase I was using 15W-50 Mobil one full synthetic - However I have been told by many users this is the oil to use, and its also recomended by Porsche.

Thanks for your input, I will probably call the shop sometime next week.

Matt

Old 02-20-2004, 11:41 AM
jace
Intermediate

Matt,

No, not Yark (although I know Jim, so I have to be careful what I say). Here on Rennlist, 87951 gave me the original contact / recommendation (although he works on his cars himself), then a friend here in town who is a fanatic (911 Carrera 4) told me he takes his car there and that Bob does great work.

This is the type of guy that will give you the straight scoop. He has reasonable rates and will generally talk you out of replacing stuff that doesn't need to be done. I will also tell you he's not a big fan of many of performance / aftermarket mods you read about here. He told me a story about a local guy with a heavily modded 951 that he's changed the engine out on several times. We'll see, but his philosophy seems close to mine (I'm not looking to build a 350 bhp monster).

BTW, I've got a place at Devil's Lake, so you'll probably see me cruising 223 this summer (love the boost for passing).

Good luck, let me know how it goes.

Old 02-23-2004, 12:56 AM
eniac
Drifting

Hey Matt, I live in Grand Rapid, MI. There are no good shops around here that I know off. One place I can tell you not to go is German Auto. They messed up the head on my 951 and refused to admidt they did anything wrong. An exhaust stud broke so they drilled it out completely though the back. When I installed the head it poured coolant out the stud. Upon removing the new stud I noticed some type of sealant around it. Somebody at German Auto obviously knew what they did and tried to hide it. When I called the only thing they could tell me was "I don't know anything about that" so.....Don't go there :\

I ended up doing my 951 clutch job myself last year. It wasn't too bad and since I was doing it myself I was able to install a new wastegate, gut both cats, and do a few other improvments at the same time.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:20 AM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by eniac
Hey Matt, I live in Grand Rapid, MI. There are no good shops around here that I know off. One place I can tell you not to go is German Auto. They messed up the head on my 951 and refused to admidt they did anything wrong. An exhaust stud broke so they drilled it out completely though the back. When I installed the head it poured coolant out the stud. Upon removing the new stud I noticed some type of sealant around it. Somebody at German Auto obviously knew what they did and tried to hide it. When I called the only thing they could tell me was "I don't know anything about that" so.....Don't go there :\

I ended up doing my 951 clutch job myself last year. It wasn't too bad and since I was doing it myself I was able to install a new wastegate, gut both cats, and do a few other improvments at the same time.

Eniac -

I have no knowledge whatsoever with working with transmissions, or anything like that. I guess I am pretty good with domestic engines, as I have ripped down the 3.0 litre V6 from my Plymouth Duster a few times. But I know nothing about transmissions.... Would there be any chance that I could do the work myself? Or would that just be asking for a major catastrophy to happen?? I guess I wouldnt have a problem doing it, but I dont know what I am doing, so I am scared I might mess something up. I cant afford to do it wrong the first time. Students loans are adding up fast, so I cant get into to much debt with this car!

I guess just let me know how the clutch job went, and how much I would need to know about transmissions, and such to do it myself. I have heard that a clutch on these cars is a nightmare, however I have never done one, so I wouldnt know.

Thanks for the reply!!

Matthew
Old 02-24-2004, 12:06 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow didn't realize there were so many people in my area.... Everyone that is in the lower half of Michigan please PM me I would like to get something together between us. Also state if you plan on going to 944 fest this year as well that way I can keep in touch with you about maybe a group drive to the fest.

Dan
Old 02-24-2004, 04:49 PM
jace
Intermediate

Matthew,

I talked to Bob at "The Shop" last night and he confirmed what I thought, that is a clutch job is about $1,500. He indicated that the parts are going to run about $600 alone and you basically have to pull the entire rear end out to get to it.

Sounds like a big job to me. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty, but I think that job is beyond me.

Give him a call. One thing about Bob, he loves to talk about these cars!

Jace
Old 02-24-2004, 05:07 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jace,

Thanks for the reply on the numbers. That sounds about the normal price I have been seeing for this job. I am still calling around for quotes, So I will keep The Shop in mind while I am deciding where to go.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Hopefully I will see most, if not all of you at 944 fest! I missed it last year, becuase of mechanical problems and such like this! So hopefully everything will be good to go by summer!

Matt

Quick Reply: Good place for clutch job in MI