Good place for clutch job in MI

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 10:13 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

Picked my car up yesterday from the shop. Its been gone almost a month now. I ended up taking the 3+ hour drive to Twinsburg OH to have the work done on my car by Steinel's Autowerks. It was DEFINATLY worth the drive. Anyone in OH-MI-PA should def. think about Steinel's Autowerks to have any major, or minor work done on their 944s. Eric Steinel is a great guy to talk with, and he knows his stuff. The mechanic that mostly worked on my car has been working on them for over 10 years, so he knows 944s well.

On to the bad news. My repair bill was extensive. Didnt think my car was in that bad of shape. I guess that is what happens when you buy from a rather shady previous owner with no records. Turns out the clutch it almost new only worn 25%. However both primary and slave clutch cylinders were bad, and it was leaking some hydrolics. Thats the good news. That fixed all my clutch slipping. However, when the previous owner had the t-belts done, about 1k miles before I bought the car, they put the balance shafts out of phase. so the car had a nasty vibration in the shifter. This being my first 951, (or Porsche for that matter) I thought this was minor, or normal. I was wrong.

On to the next things, water pump was leaking, so that was replaced with a new one, and a complete front reseal was done. my cam housing was scored, so that was replaced with a used one (to keep price down). turbo themostat was stuck wide open (better then stuck closed...) Blow off valve bad, fuel evap valve bad. Oil pressure sender replaced. C/V joints were bad, so I opted for new rear axles, and keep the ones I have to rebuild, and keep as spares. Gear oil was changed to check for debris in the gearbox. That checked out okay.

Then on to the next big thing. The day before I go to pick the car up (Friday), they find that the coolant levels are doing funky stuff.. and they first things its the thermostat, so they change that (even though it was already replaced) Then they determine the worste, its a blown head gasket. They then tore the car back down, and find out the gasket blew on the #4 cylinder, where it normally goes. When they had the head off, they pressure tested the stock headers, and found 5 cracks, so they welded all the cracks, retested for pressure and it was good. They then wrapped the headers in thermal wrapping. They tore the car down to the head, and had it back together again by 4pm. Steinel's had 5 guys working on my car Friday to have it ready for my pickup Saturday morning.

Even though I spent way to much, The car is definatly worth it, and it drive like a dream now. The turbo spools up much quicker now, and seems to have more power. Runs so smooth I can hardly tell its on!

Thanks to everyone for their help on sugestions on places to go to have work done. Steinel's seemed to be the place for me to go, and they will definatly have my business again sometime, but hopefully not anytime soon!

Matt

Quick Reply: Good place for clutch job in MI