Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

oil pump rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 04:05 AM
mumzer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pump rebuild?

anybody here taken one apart? how the ^%$^%$@# do i get rid of the old seal...the stuff is tougher than superman's kneecap, and i cant get it to clean up with any of the typical tricks.

any one have an opionion on polishing the internals of the pump body (seems silly not to if i have it apart)

mostly i just want to know how to pull the damn thing apart without destroying it.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:52 PM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

4mm allen socket will remove the two bolts that hold the pump into the aluminum housing. Basically, the pump inside the housing is made of two parts, that roatate against each other. I don't know if I would start polishing the inside area, it might loosen tolerences and make the pump weak. I have never polished it, but thats been the reason why. if its dirty, or scored, then replace it. As far as the old main seal ( I assume thats the seal your talking about), its a tough one, I have a little hardened steel hook that I bought from SnapOn, it does a pretty good job. I lock the pump into the vice, then pry upward and pull it out.

Take Care,
Old 02-18-2004, 06:57 PM
mumzer
Racer

Default Re: oil pump rebuild?

Originally posted by mumzer
anybody here taken one apart? how the ^%$^%$@# do i get rid of the old seal...the stuff is tougher than superman's kneecap, and i cant get it to clean up with any of the typical tricks.

any one have an opionion on polishing the internals of the pump body (seems silly not to if i have it apart)

mostly i just want to know how to pull the damn thing apart without destroying it.
thanks...thats perfect...what the hell is that seal made of?

are we going to see you at OTC?

ps...im working on the quote for the part you sent for bidding.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:36 PM
AlexE
Pro

its actually loctite 574.... if you were to put 574 back on the old hardened 574 its supposed to be fine (although I always clean the stuff off just to be 100% sure). It can seal gaps upto 0.5 mm....

The nice thing about 574 is that it will not gum up the oil passages/galleys....
Old 02-18-2004, 11:09 PM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

Mumzer, are you talking about the old main seal, or the loctite thats left over on the mating surfaces? I was talking about the main seal...not the loctite.

Please get me a quote man...I need to get going. If its a hassle, just send the prints and part...maybe I can get it done localy. As far as the OTC, I doubt it, we are behind, infact we are not making the first Spec race either. We are going to end up breaking the car in at the Pantera club race at willow in March.

Quick Reply: oil pump rebuild?