Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What's this wire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 08:05 PM
zogster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What's this wire?

The other day I noticed this stray wire at the back of my engine bay… anyone know what it is?

I haven't knowingly disconnected any sensors or anything near there, and it could have been lurking there with nothing hanging on the end for a long time. I'm not aware of anything misbehaving, and it looks like original wiring as far as I can tell (or if it's non-original it's been neatly installed and routed through the firewall, doesn't look like a DIY job of any kind)

Old 07-02-2019, 08:46 PM
Chapman951
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

The white one?
Old 07-02-2019, 09:05 PM
zogster
Pro

No, the black one that's slightly out of focus – sorry, should have been more specific!

Old 07-02-2019, 10:10 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

connected or not? Love a puzzle...show the end of the wire.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:53 AM
zogster
Pro

That is the end of the wire! Pointing at viewer, slightly out of focus. Not connected.

I know I could trace the wire back to the other end, but asking a question on Rennlist is easier and waaaay more fun than squeezing myself under the dashboard ;-)

It's a RHD model btw, 1987. I'm just wondering if it could be something to do with the aftermarket, professionally installed alarm that the vehicle originally had. I removed it a couple of years ago, and was pretty thorough but might not have got all of the wires out.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:58 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Not thorough enough. Having fun now? I am. This is a blast. Good luck squeezing under the dashboard to finish removing the professionally installed alarm system. And that wire for sure goes to the other end. Have fun now and good luck with that.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:47 PM
zogster
Pro

Got it!

Well, sort of…

The other end is attached to a simple push switch at the back of the engine bay which grounds the wire when the bonnet is open. No idea what it used to connect to, but I guess the old alarm is still in the frame. Looking at a few pics of engine bays, I don't think it's anything factory.

In any case, I can cross it off my list of "stuff that I need to figure out"
Old 07-03-2019, 01:14 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Do You still have the Hood light?..Ooops sorry Bonnet light? and Heated Windshield squirts? If the other end goes to the little switch for the Bonnet then I think it is explained.. Simple as Looking at the color of the wire and finding that switch on a schematic and mystery solved... If that's doesn't do it..... refer to the First Rule of Auto mechanics... If it aint broke don't fix it.. Cheers!
Old 07-03-2019, 02:11 PM
zogster
Pro

Oh yeah, I'm with you 100% on the "don't mess with old electrics unless you have to" rule!

Especially in the engine bay where the insulation is getting ever more fragile.

But both bonnet light and headlight squirters are still there and working… I love the mercury switch actuation for the light

I'll check against the wiring diagram, but I'm pretty sure that I'm looking at the leftover of some long-gone non-factory widgetry
Old 07-03-2019, 04:49 PM
Flat6Addict
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeah, I'm with you 100% on the "don't mess with old electrics unless you have to" rule!

The best rule to follow....

Quick Reply: What's this wire?