Speaking of Motor Mounts...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 10:39 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Speaking of Motor Mounts...

Recent thread my Matt O brought to mind the question of "what's your experience with...?"

I *think* we've established that all motor mounts aren't created equal. That said, in comparison to truly OEM Porsche mounts, how do the semi-solid mounts from Lindsey rate?

https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Por...-944MM-UM.html

I suspect that since they're not filled with fluid the vibrations may be somewhat more than the OEM. OTOH - they are likely to last longer too.

Looking for your testimony on this product.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:03 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
Recent thread my Matt O brought to mind the question of "what's your experience with...?"

I *think* we've established that all motor mounts aren't created equal. That said, in comparison to truly OEM Porsche mounts, who do the semi-solid mounts from Lindsey rate?

https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Por...-944MM-UM.html

I suspect that since they're not filled with fluid the vibrations may be somewhat more than the OEM. OTOH - they are likely to last longer too.

Looking for your testimony on this product.

I’ve not tried the Lindsey mounts but I have tried 9Products which looks like an identical design. Imo they are fine for a track car and would likely last a fair while. They do allow a buzz through the chassis at low revs much like all the aftermarket mounts, and also a “harshness” in the upper revs, both of which some may find annoying on a street car.

Really though with all these aftermarket mounts folk usually put them on when their current mounts are totally trashed and, even with the buzzing and harshness, it’s still 100x better than their old mounts. However, due to price I think there’s a lot of 944’s out there that have inferior engine damping with owners oblivious how the car should sound (“as smooth as a V6”) and also some damaging harmonics causing premature component failures, fuel rails come to mind maybe even oil pickup, idk I’m no expert on such matters. I do however know that the factory mounts do their job perfectly and last a long while, so why even bother fitting something inferior.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:38 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
I’ve not tried the Lindsey mounts but I have tried 9Products which looks like an identical design. Imo they are fine for a track car and would likely last a fair while. They do allow a buzz through the chassis at low revs much like all the aftermarket mounts, and also a “harshness” in the upper revs, both of which some may find annoying on a street car.

Really though with all these aftermarket mounts folk usually put them on when their current mounts are totally trashed and, even with the buzzing and harshness, it’s still 100x better than their old mounts. However, due to price I think there’s a lot of 944’s out there that have inferior engine damping with owners oblivious how the car should sound (“as smooth as a V6”) and also some damaging harmonics causing premature component failures, fuel rails come to mind maybe even oil pickup, idk I’m no expert on such matters. I do however know that the factory mounts do their job perfectly and last a long while, so why even bother fitting something inferior.
I agree 100%. Lots of 944s running around on collapsed/substandard aftermarket mounts. The price of the Genuine Porsche mounts is painful, but well worth it. Many don't understand that time equals money, even if it is your own time and not paying a shop. Was the saving of a couple hundred bucks worth an entire afternoon/day/weekend of your own time doing the job over again a year later?

My own 951 has evolved into a street-legal track car (stiff, coilovers, modified front roll center, all spherical bushings), but I wouldn't even consider any of the solid or semi-solid mounts unless it was a trailered, dedicated track car, and even then I'd be worried about the long-term effects.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:53 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Motor Mounts
  • Solid - Like being inside a kettle drum
  • Semi Solid - I would not put in street car due to noise. On the track bearable but they cover other noises
  • Off Brand - takes longer to put them than they last
  • OEM - That is what I now have in my track car. Replace them as they break.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:41 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Best price for OEM Front (Motor) Mount 951-375-042-04 that I have found:

https://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.co...bC1sNC1nYXM%3D

Quick Reply: Speaking of Motor Mounts...