EASY PEASY change of chip maps without removing DME

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 06:53 PM
finally!
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default EASY PEASY change of chip maps without removing DME

EASY PEASY change of chip maps!

Well, got the VMAF+ and all its associated parts wired up, solved issue with the MAP sensor triggering stumble (stupid vacuum line came unplugged in passenger foot-well) and the Innovate SCG-1 EBC wired in. Still tweaking with the EBC a bit. One thing which I could see would be a PITA is that if I wanted to use E85 it required removal of the DME, opening it up, flipping the dip switches to select an E85 map and then reinstalling… Not hard but a pain none the less. To solve this I looked into creating an extension cable from which one end would plug into the chip socket in the DME and then run the other end outside the DME, solder a socket on the other end and then plug the Vitesse chip into it. Of course putting it inside a small bread box is a good idea or at minimum wrapping in non-conductive material/foam and electrical tape, etc. Now all have to do is open the box where the Vitesse chip is plugged in to the extension cable and flip the dip switches to change maps. Alas, finding the cables and sockets and then soldering was beyond my soldering skills. Guess I got too used to the ease of changing maps in my BMW 335i via combination of presses of buttons on the steering wheel.

Surely though someone else had this same thought and found a solution, right? After much searching, I found http://www.moates.net/ makes just what I needed.

Had a few conversations with them and confirmed the sockets match, etc. and placed an order for their Chip Extender http://www.moates.net/chip-extender-....html?cPath=26

and their 18 inch EMUC2818 Emulation Cable http://www.moates.net/emuc2818-emula...inch-p-64.html

Sharing for others might benefit. If using another companies chips which require you to physically swap out the chips to change maps it would make much easier for them too.

Cable is inserted in the socket in the DME, the other end of cable then plugs into Chip Extender board. The cable is then routed outside the DME enclosure and the aftermarket tuned chip is plugged in to the Extender Board.

Last edited by finally!; 05-29-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:55 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

How often do you think you have to switch images? 99.9% of the time you run pump gas, race gas or pump gas and E85.
If you have access to E85, then select the E85 image. You can install an external toggle switch to go between pump gas and E85.

99% of the 951 owners will not run race gas unless on the race track. So unless you have race gas readily available and you are willing to pay the expensive price, just select the E85 map. Run pump gas or E85. You can toggle between them via a switch.

Not to rain on your parade, but the setup you plan on running will have issues. One of which is the possibility of damaging the Chipboard. It will be an expensive experiment!!!!

The Chipboard is not an Eprom chip. The CB is designed to work in the DME. You use it differently and you are on your own, no warranty no support.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:18 PM
finally!
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fast951
How often do you think you have to switch images? 99.9% of the time you run pump gas, race gas or pump gas and E85.
If you have access to E85, then select the E85 image. You can install an external toggle switch to go between pump gas and E85.

99% of the 951 owners will not run race gas unless on the race track. So unless you have race gas readily available and you are willing to pay the expensive price, just select the E85 map. Run pump gas or E85. You can toggle between them via a switch.

Not to rain on your parade, but the setup you plan on running will have issues. One of which is the possibility of damaging the Chipboard. It will be an expensive experiment!!!!

The Chipboard is not an Eprom chip. The CB is designed to work in the DME. You use it differently and you are on your own, no warranty no support.
As an FYI I’ve not received it as yet and thus not installed

how to install external toggle switch? Basically it would have same effect as flipping dip switches to E85 maps? Or are you saying it’s OK to select E85 map even though at times may only be using 93 octane?

apologies as well for not contacting you first John
Old 05-29-2019, 08:38 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure he is saying "if you want to run E85, you have to change the map and your proposed solution is not a good idea??
Old 05-29-2019, 08:51 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

What I'm about to describe is in the Chipboard document you have.

The Chipboard holds multiple images. You select an image via dip switches.

All the images have pump gas maps! In addition to the pump gas maps an image can have race gas maps, other images have E85 maps.

You go between pump gas and race gas OR pump gas and E85 (based on the image you selected) by shorting the coding plug.

The coding plug is a 2 pin plug. You can wire a toggle switch between the pins.
When the switch is Open you always run pump gas. When the switch is closed (the 2 pins are shorted) you run E85 (or race gas).

Select an E85 image via dip switches.
If you run out of E85, fill up with pump gas and flip the switch to the OPEN position... When you fill up with E85 Close the switch.

Originally Posted by finally!
As an FYI I’ve not received it as yet and thus not installed

how to install external toggle switch? Basically it would have same effect as flipping dip switches to E85 maps? Or are you saying it’s OK to select E85 map even though at times may only be using 93 octane?

apologies as well for not contacting you first John
Old 05-29-2019, 08:58 PM
finally!
Three Wheelin'

What I'm about to describe is in the Chipboard document you have.

The Chipboard holds multiple images. All the images have pump gas maps! In addition to the pump gas maps an image can have race gas maps, other images have E85 maps.
You go between pump gas and race gas OR pump gas and E85 (based on the image you selected) by shorting the coding plug.

The coding plug is a 2 pin plug. You can wire a toggle switch between the pins.
When the switch is Open you always run pump gas. When the switch is closed (the 2 pins are shorted) you run E85 (or race gas).

If you run out of E85, fill up with pump gas and flip the switch to the OPEN position...
Thanks John! I’ve looked at the documents and cannot find info on E85 percentages, ie are the E85 maps for 100% E85 or 50/50 or? Asking as maps in other cars I’ve had which provide maps for E85 (BMW 335i, 1994 Lotus Esprit S4, BMW M3) specify E85 25 to 50%

thanks!
Old 05-29-2019, 09:06 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Run 100% pump gas or 100% E85. (well as close to 100% as possible).

And of course, when running pump gas watch your boost setting...

Thanks John! I’ve looked at the documents and cannot find info on E85 percentages, ie are the E85 maps for 100% E85 or 50/50 or? Asking as maps in other cars I’ve had which provide difficult maps for E85 (BMW 335i, 1994 Lotus Esprit S4, BMW M3) specify E85 25 to 50%

thanks!
Old 06-01-2019, 12:59 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

In case the punchline got lost in the mix, Vitesse software lets you switch between pump gas and E85 maps with a simple toggle switch connected to the factory harness. Mine is on the panel under the radio. No need for anything else.

In California, the ethanol content (as a percentage of gasoline) varies by "season" but I've never found it necessary to adjust my maps for that.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:43 PM
finally!
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
In case the punchline got lost in the mix, Vitesse software lets you switch between pump gas and E85 maps with a simple toggle switch connected to the factory harness. Mine is on the panel under the radio. No need for anything else.

In California, the ethanol content (as a percentage of gasoline) varies by "season" but I've never found it necessary to adjust my maps for that.
It was lost prior to my posts due to confusing documentation - reference to “race maps” but not saying “race” in VMAF verbiage means E85, or clear indication of what percentage of E85 to pump gas (John chimes in and said 100% or as close as possible)

I won’t be using the extension so as to not void warranty and support but still think it’s a reasonable solution- especially for those who either change things or use another company’s products which require physical swapping of chips to change maps.

ive got a OEM switch I’m putting in Center console which lights up to remind me I’ve got it in E85 mode and will put “E85” label on it
Old 06-01-2019, 06:29 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

It was lost prior to my posts due to confusing documentation - reference to “race maps” but not saying “race” in VMAF verbiage means E85, or clear indication of what percentage of E85 to pump gas (John chimes in and said 100% or as close as possible)

I won’t be using the extension so as to not void warranty and support but still think it’s a reasonable solution- especially for those who either change things or use another company’s products which require physical swapping of chips to change maps.

ive got a OEM switch I’m putting in Center console which lights up to remind me I’ve got it in E85 mode and will put “E85” label on it
John's not the type to intentionally say race gas if he means E85, so maybe there was a mix up somewhere. I bought an ethanol content checker from Summit that let's you see the percentage of ethanol. It's just a little glass tube that separates the gas and ethanol, but it works and confirms that the content varies. Pumps in CA all list the lowest percentage ethanol it might have, usually at least 70%. The only way I know to be sure you'll get 85% ethanol (i.e., 100% E85), at least in CA, is to by the racing fuel version of E85, like Sunoco E85-R. But like I said, I haven't had any problems running John's E85 maps on whatever corn juice the pump is putting out that day....
Old 06-02-2019, 11:30 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It was lost prior to my posts due to confusing documentation - reference to “race maps” but not saying “race” in VMAF verbiage means E85
Race gas does not mean E85 in V-MAF+ verbiage. They get activated in the same manner. You activate E85 (pump/E85 image) or Race gas maps (pump/Race gas image) in the same manner by shorting the coding plug.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:43 AM
finally!
Three Wheelin'

Race gas does not mean E85 in V-MAF+ verbiage. They get activated in the same manner. You activate E85 (pump/E85 image) or Race gas maps (pump/Race gas image) in the same manner by shorting the coding plug.
I will only be doing pump (93 octane) or E85, and am not going to use the extension cable & board. Will be connecting a switch to short the plug when fill up with E85

I searched the document with FQS settings (PDF name is "ChipBoard Install_MAF_NB") and also the document with the images/maps. The word "race" occurs twice in the FQS document and once in the images.maps document. None of the images/maps indicate they are for race fuel (for Sunoco they list 110, 112 and 116 octane available). In the images document, first page with the different images to choose from, none of them indicate they are for race.

In any event, all is well, car is running terrific and must say Hats off to you John! Runs much smoother at idle, WOT and everywhere in between!

Quick Reply: EASY PEASY change of chip maps without removing DME