Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Just picked up a 951 (finally)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 04:34 PM
z3bra
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up a 951 (finally)

Picked up an 86 951 yesterday evening, figured I'd say hello. So far so good, runs good and only had 81k miles on it and the timing/balance belts only have 4k miles on them.

So far so good, much more fun to drive then the old N/A was. It does have a couple of minor issues such as the idle being really high (~1500 RPM). It also has a bit of a strong vibration when it's idling. I'm guessing motor mounts and a vaccuum leak but hopefully that's all it ends up being. Once I got it on the freeway the vibes pretty much went away and they seem stronger when idling and accelerating from a stop. Might also have some loose heat sheilds to look for. If anyone has any other ideas, chime in by all means.

In any case it's great to be back in the Porsche, I didn't realize how much I missed it.

Glad to be back aboard even if it did take me 10 years to do it.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:26 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome! Now lets start on your list of mods to do... lol
Old 02-14-2004, 05:40 PM
z3bra
Racer

Not to worry, the plotting and scheming has already begun. The only thing that makes me hesitant is that i'm thinking of Autocrossing with it I don't want to have to compete against the "big boys" since that gets expensive. Might not win much anyway but it's no fun getting totally spanked.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:45 PM
C5Driver951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll get spanked in a 951 regardless, so you might as well do whatever you want to your car...

I'm speaking of my SCCA experience, not PCA autocross.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:53 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

yeah the 951 is a horrible car for SCCA Solo2, just not competative in it's stock class, might as well have fun in SM2 or B-Prepared
Old 02-14-2004, 06:21 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome!! Let's see some pix.

FWIW - A local Denver guy WON the regional PCA club race outright at Pueblo this year in his bad-*** 951. So, I guess it can be done, right?
Old 02-14-2004, 06:39 PM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by z3bra
Not to worry, the plotting and scheming has already begun. The only thing that makes me hesitant is that i'm thinking of Autocrossing with it I don't want to have to compete against the "big boys" since that gets expensive. Might not win much anyway but it's no fun getting totally spanked.
Mine is heavily modded in all the wrong ways, so I well into the Dm class, I believe.
I stopped worrying about the class nonsense and just have fun. In my class, theres no way you could do well with street tires, and hell If I'm gonna put on the good tires for an autocross...

I just set my goal for the day after a run or two, and go for it!

The joy my mods give me on the road and track, is worth far more than the fun they take away at the autocross by being in a higher class.

Welcome to rennlist!
Old 02-14-2004, 06:51 PM
z3bra
Racer

Originally posted by C5Driver951
You'll get spanked in a 951 regardless, so you might as well do whatever you want to your car...

I'm speaking of my SCCA experience, not PCA autocross.
Well that's good, I probably would have had a hard time leaving it alone anyway.

I'll get some pics up on my website, only one I have is the one from the ad at this point but that's nothing a digital camera can't fix pretty quickly.

I need to get the vibration and idle fixed first off though, can't have an otherwise nice car sounding like a Dodge Omni or something.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:23 AM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Smile

Welcome
Old 02-15-2004, 12:32 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome
Old 02-15-2004, 07:29 PM
z3bra
Racer

Well, bad news, in looking for my vacuum leak, the hissing noise led me to the area where the J pipe and air flow meter meet. Couldn't tell if it's the J pipe, but I removed it to inspect for cracks etc. Unfortunately it looks like the turbo itself injested something as the inlet vanes are not looking good. I also noticed some aluminum particles in the oil buildup in the intercooler and the pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body. I would assume this is from the compressor vanes themselves as they look almost ground down.

Fortunately I've got a spare K26 turbo from an Audi 5000 in the garage from another project I was thinking about.

Does anybody know if the compressor wheels are the same between the two? (Yeah I know it's a long shot.) If so then I can be back on the road in a few days. Alternately does anyone know of a good source for info on K26's and all the variants so I can look it up? I haven't had much success looking anything up via google.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 02-15-2004, 07:31 PM
daniel951
Race Car

cayon blaster did you say they hold that kind of stuff in pueblo?? I was curious in attending some events this year but not sure where they are held. I say we should have a get together sometime after winter is over (Colorado)
Old 02-15-2004, 07:32 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brian - I am not sure but I believe the K26 for the Audi is not only too small but has an internal WG. BTW - if you need a spare K26 I have one on the garage floor, no warranty but it has no shaft play that I can tell, came off of the running car in place of a Garrett unit.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy crap, that was fast!

Sorry to hear about your turbo woes. If the metal made it as far as your engine...check you oil to see if there's any metal in it. Might was well do a change now, let it settle and have a look. Bolts from the air cleaner housing sometimes work loose if not properly tightened.

Don't bother with google, use this forum's search tool.

The hiss is probably a missing air adjustment acrew, the hole for it's on top of the throttle body. Pu your finger on the hole and your hiss just might go away.

Did you get a pre-purchase inspection?
Old 02-16-2004, 03:10 AM
z3bra
Racer

Thanks Matt and Peckster, The Audi one doesn't have an internal wastegate on it which was why I grabbed that instead of something like a T03, but I figure given the differences between the two cars it probably is a completely different compressor wheel because of the intended use. Let me know what you want for that K26, if I can't source a repair locally (friend of mine is involved with the Supra scene here in town and he said there's a shop locally that all those guys use. ) I might be pretty interested in the one you have though if I can't find one locally tomorrow (anxious to get it back on the road being the key reason).

I was going to change the oil in it anyway, the PO said it was about due for it and I wanted to switch over to Mobil1 15W-50 anyway instead of the 20W50 Castrol Dino oil he has in there now. What comes out on the dipstick is actually pretty clean looking still and not very black so I guess that's a plus. Unfortunately, any metal particles in it probably would have all settled so that's not really an accurate check anyway.

As far as the pieces of metal that are somewhere in the intake track, if it's just big stuff from the compressor blades I would think (hope) most of it's probably stuck in the intercooler so I'm going to pull that and clean it out. I think what caused it is that one of the threaded inserts in the bottom half of the air cleaner housing and the plastic around it were broken off and maybe got sucked in.

Looks like I should have got the pre-purchase inspection, I did it instead being pretty mechanically inclined but I could have looked for more stuff than I did apparently.

Anyway I figure that got sucked in there and did the worst of it. Worst case the turbo does spin ok and doesn't seem to have any play on the shaft either so the hot side and the bearing section are probably still ok.

As far as the hiss, I did the piece of hose to the ear thing and it was definitely coming from the bottom part of where the Air Flow Meter box goes into the J pipe. The screw in the top of the throttle body is still there.

On the upside, it looks like the water pump has been replaced because the casting looks significantly cleaner and less oxidized than the head and block. Theoretically I probably could still drive it but not get full boost from it, but now that I know the problem's there I can't bring myself to do it. I may just call the shop this guy had it worked on at and see if they have any dirt on the car that they noticed that he declined to have fixed.

It's all ok though, it's a used car, it's 18 years old, it's bound to need some work and so forth, honestly I don't know if I'd be happy with a car I didn't have to mess around with from time to time anyway.

I was thinking of maybe contacting Powerhaus and/or 20th Street auto since they're local. I figure somewhere like Powerhaus probably has a bunch of old stock parts they've yanked to make room for upgrades, and 20th street being a Porsche recylcer is going to have stuff like that anyway (but probably for more money and there's no point paying more than I absolutely have to pay.

Anyway, thanks again for the replies and I'll get you guys an update tomorrow after I make some calls. I know one thing I will probably need to get when I do get working on this is some torque specs etc from the workshop manual. I'm tempted to just buy one of the CD's people are selling on ebay for now because I know the Haynes manual is a pile of crap from when I had the 85.5 944.

Quick Reply: Just picked up a 951 (finally)