Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 11:34 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Keep it simple and reliable. Easier on the pocket and more enjoyment..

If you want to keep it stock, add K26/8 chip + 951S KLR

To have more fun, with the K26/8 all you need is a k26/8 chip (24 pin for MY87) . A 3bar FPR to get you more fueling headroom (chip must be configured to match fuel pressure). Add a ball & spring MBC.

Run 15-16psi boost and just enjoy the car.

The least expensive chip could become the most expensive modification. Engine management is not where you want to take chances.

Go for: Reliability, Performance and Support.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:31 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 968to986
You raise a lot of questions??
I'm actually upgrading my 87 951 to K26-8 as well and I am seriously considering the A-Tune offered by Lindsey Racing. I already had their Max chips with the K26-6, which was quite effective with Tial, 3.0 FPR and MBC. https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Par...IP-A-TUNE.html
I did not see more questions, in my reply?? I just laid out viable, reasonable cost options without a massive turbo up grade and full big bore or stroked short block.And even then ... you'd still need engine management, just more so.

But it's fair to say that if you already have the "Max" chip from Lindsey?? Well there you go. If that is the case?? You can easily make your car as crazy and uncivil as mine. Just add a "test pipe" and at least 55 lb injectors and have them remap the chip, you have and there you go! And then you could tell me if the AFM is a "POC" or it's just me?? And if you are the original purchaser and they won't help you, you have that answer.

I had also "considered" the Rough AFM as an option?? But w/o Josh behind it anymore and a few "grips" I have seen on here about "support??" I don't know?? But people that are happy tend to say nothing, those that are "ticked off" tend to make there concerns known. So you know nothing has changed there.

As I see it ... it's VEMS, or the Vitess MAF kit?? Now Raceboy, that is his handle does get uh, grips about his ... "attitude??" But he is there to support his products. I had my run in with him with what I thought was a simple question?? But to be fair he did apologize for reading me reading me wrong. And ... on the "dogs" forums (GSD) I had a knack, for pissing people off!

But to cut to the chase the Vitess MAF kit vs the VSEM?? Well the VSEM is more expensive by a bit. But ... both have support. Sooo as I see it, if you don't have uh "weird" issues with your 30 year old DME and it's wiring harness?? Then bite the bullet ditch the freaking AFM and just get Johns kit, job done!!

But on the other hand if your 951 acts like mine ... a standalone and a new engine harness ... seems like a great idea! An example ... when it was on the road (another story, none engine related) but with new speed and reference sensors and new harness for same, from LR. Every now and then I would get a no tach, bounce and a no start issue, WTH?? On one of those random occasion, I would pop the hood wiggle the wires and it would fire right up ... WTH???

Now if you don't have crap like that happen, then your engine harness and DME/KLR are good most likely?? But I'd say, skip the AMF kit,save up and ditch the freaking AFM, anyway and go with John's Maf kit and call it day! Obviously ... he is still here to support his products! And I dare say you see very few complaints??

As for me ... well my 951 has seriously ticked me off!! More dollars but I want those speed and reference sensors on the freaking fly wheel gone!!! Mine has been on jack stands anyway, for a uh very long time due to unrelated issues. That "thing" is a "PIA" to work on!!! But ... I look forward to the day that I will pull that DME and engine harness out and freaking burn them!!! Yeah I roll that way, but hey that's me.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:00 PM
zogster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Fast951, you're talking my language. Simple, reliable, MORE fun! I probably don't want to go further than the stock wastegate, a boost controller and a 3 bar FPR will take me.

Of course, if we *really* cared about simple and reliable we wouldn't be driving 30 year old turbocharged sports cars. But then we wouldn't be having as much fun ;-)
Old 06-03-2019, 02:25 PM
zogster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Ha! Just realised that Fast951= Vitesse Racing.

I hear what you say about engine management, but having picked up the ProMax chips already I'll give them a try (with 3 bar FPR and manual boost controller) and see how that works.

And maybe I'll be dropping you a line in a couple of months ;-)

Quick Reply: Chips and mods to suit turbo replacement