Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AEM Uego wideband noisy output signal

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 09:54 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default AEM Uego wideband noisy output signal

I want to log the output of my wideband sensor, but I noticed that the analog output is very noisy. I had a look at all the wires on a scope and it seems that the noise is present on the power and ground wires too. It seems to be caused by a PWM signal that's part of the sensor harness. I think this is the heater circuit. Whenever it switches, I see spikes of up to 50v. If I unplug the sensor harness from the controller, then the power supply traces are nice and clean. As soon as I reattach it, the noise is back.

I contacted AEM and they said I could send the sensor and controller back to them, but there would be a $50 inspection charge, plus shipping. I presume that won't cover the cost of fixing anything either. The thing is, a new sensor is only $50 - but how likely is it that this issue is a bad sensor vs a bad controller? I'm tempted to just buy a new sensor and see if that fixes it.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Could the controller be causing an issue like this?
Old 05-17-2019, 10:55 PM
Adker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a ground problem to me, you should not see 50 v spikes on the ground lead. Power/ground leads should be short in length, good gauge of wire and have a proper connection to the chassis.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:02 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Adker
Sounds like a ground problem to me, you should not see 50 v spikes on the ground lead. Power/ground leads should be short in length, good gauge of wire and have a proper connection to the chassis.
Thanks. The 50v spikes are only on the sensor PWM wire, which I think is a heater. The PWM switching seems to be causing the noise on the power, ground and output of the controller. At least the noise im seeing on those traces lines up with the PWM. But its its a few volts, not 50.

Ill post a screenshot later.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:20 PM
Adker
Racer

Ground noise should be in the millvolts.

Last edited by Adker; 05-18-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:25 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

OK so I tried running a wire directly from the battery ground to the AEM controller ground, and that does eliminate most of the noise on the ground wire. It improves the signal a bit, but it still doesn't get rid of most of the noise.

Here's a screenshot of the traces capturing the moment I plugged the sensor into the controller.

Blue is battery gnd/controller gnd
Red is controller 12v
Green is the 5v analog output of the controller
Yellow is the PWM signal from the sensor harness

Since this is with the controller grounded directly to the battery, I don't know what else I can do to improve it. Any suggestions?

Old 05-18-2019, 04:58 PM
Adker
Racer

Try connect the controller 12V to the battery, if it helps, adding a 1 - 10uF cap (50Vdc) power to ground should help the sag in the power supply voltage which matches up with the start of the analog noise. Put it as close to the unit as you can, called bypass cap. You could also add a 0.01 cap to the analog signal (other end ground) to help smooth it out.

Quick Reply: AEM Uego wideband noisy output signal