Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Strut mount question, can someone post a digram?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 02:56 PM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut mount question, can someone post a digram?

Hi all, I am replacing an upper strut mount on my 86 turbo and I am running into a problem. It is possible that when i installed the konis I assembled the strut mount incorrectly. Can someone post a diagram showing the strut mount assembly. Just for reference, i have from bottom to top...

shock rod, sleeve, mount, metal housing (the rectangle w/ studs), upper rubber surround, the big metal top plate, washer, nut. The problem is that when i tighten down the nut the bearing dose not do its job and I cannot turn the mount seperatly from the shock rod. I feel like I am missing a spacer or somthing. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2004, 03:46 PM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

I'm glad that you brought this up. I have a similar problem since putting the new Konis. My problem is that the strut nut keeps coming loose. It seems like the strut mount doesn't move while turning and eventually works the nut loose. I think I'm just going to move to 87 strut mounts and not worry about it.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Bryan,
If you're interested, I've got a set of strut mounts from my '88 that I'll let go cheap. I went to GC camber plates on my car, so these are out the door.
-J
Old 02-13-2004, 05:35 PM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

Ok so here is the progress...
I had the strut mount on backwards (I know, I know) Flipped it around, pressed it in the metal housing, so now i have shock rod, strut mount, spacer (fits down into mount), big top plate, washer, nut. Now the problem is the same as it was before. There is play around the mount causing some camber change. It looks like some of this play is from the sleeve that goes around the shock rod and slides into the mount itself. There is play between the shock rod and sleeve as well as between the sleeve and mount (bearing). The other area of concern that I have is the amount of play in the bearing on the brand new mount, it has as much as the old one that I replaced. I was expecting porsche to make a mount with a bearing with closer tolerances than this. Here is a VERY elementary drawing of the assembly and problem...
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2004, 06:42 PM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

Jon,

Thanks for the offer. Are the 87 and 88 mounts different? I already have a set of 87 mounts but if I'm going to replace them I might as well get the most updated set that I can.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:58 AM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

any suggestions on how to eliminate some of this play? I search and search and find several posts where people have similar problems (play causing camber change) and no replies with solutions. I am thinking about fabricating a new sleve.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:14 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

First off, loose the spacer. The parts diagram shows the spacer installed, but I have not seen it installed on the three versions of these cars I have taken apart. Maybe it was for the 924? Not sure, but it is not necessary. Be sure the "o-ring" as you call it is installed on the lower section of the mount. There is a lip around it that fits around the mount. This is actually the friction surface that the top cone twists around on. It is important to get the nut properly torqued, or it will work loose. I use an impact wrench, but you can do it with hand tools. The rubber mount will be drawn into the mount at the nut is tightened.

The later mounts are far superior to the early mounts. The design allows the strut/upper spring perch to be attached directly to the bearing and nothing else. This allows the strut to rotate freely. The early mounts have a friction surface that, to me anyway, is hard to believe it works for very long. The '87-89' 951 mounts are all the same. The new style mounts are stock on the 968, and carry a 951 part number. These mounts are currently very expensive for some reason.

Bryan: those mounts I gave you are not the current version, but are still very good. I guess you will end up using them after all.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:16 PM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

Keith, can you believe that when I put on the new Konis on that I bought new rubber for the old mounts. I forgot that I even had the ones that you gave me. I'm glad that I found where I stashed them. Thanks again.

On another note.... are you planning on having anymore wrenching sessions anytime soon?

Quick Reply: Strut mount question, can someone post a digram?