Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1988 Turbo S - opinion of value

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 10:06 PM
Seattle 993
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts
Default 1988 Turbo S - opinion of value

I have a 1988 turbo S and have owned it since 1991, initially owned by a family member of Circle Porsche in Southern California. No accidents, and I’ve taken great care of it for the last 27 years and my plan is to pass it down to my sons.

In any case, as I was working on a belt/water pump, front end reseal (races, oil pump sleeve, seals) engine reseal, oil pan gasket, rod bearings, etc. I got to wondering about insured value on this car. I’ve noticed that a clean turbo S is really hard to find and values seem to have skyrocketed. Assume 100% stock but for an Rogue A-tune and 3 bar FPR. Stone Grey, Burgundy script (going to work on an upholstery refresh - wonder where I’m gonna find Porsche script cloth). Car runs great, original turbo not leaking oil and no discernible play, AOR transaxle in great shape, 156,000 miles.

Any advice on stock updates would also be appreciated. I’ve thought about a manual boost control but not sure about the wisdom of that - car is pretty fast as is once on boost.

Anyway, would appreciate any advice from you on insurance valuation, etc.

PS - I’d post pics but it’s currently up on jacks in my garage!
Old 05-13-2019, 03:52 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 968 Posts

Look at the web site bring a trailer one very low mile ex. Sold for $66k yours should be 18-25 but Hagerty ins. Has a valuation page also
mike
Old 05-18-2019, 02:11 AM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Whatever you do, please, no more mods. Original examples of these are getting hard to find. Even with 156K miles, a lovingly cared for and highly original example will have a market.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:56 PM
Seattle 993
Racer

Ried, I totally agree. No mods, other than the Rogue A tune and 3 bar FPR. I still have the stock DME chip, KLR remains stock. Totally reversible. I just think it runs better with the A-tune. It’s well cared for, I stock plenty of VR1 20-50, change at most 3,500 miles. Just finishing up a front engine reseal, rollers/belts, water pump, oil pan gasket, rod bearings, checking control arms/ball joints (steering is still tight but I might change out the ball joints while I’m there to protect the arms), etc. I just tend to over service the car while I’m in there. You know, like all of us we cherish these cars. My first Porsche so it has lots of sentimental value.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:03 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I would replace the fuel lines. Would be shame to loose it to an engine fire. It wouldn’t be worth much at all if that happened.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:56 AM
Seattle 993
Racer

Humboldtgrin, yes thanks for the reminder. I’m on my second set of fuel lines from lindseyracing, forgot about those. And the jumper at the fuel damper/rail replaced also. Was thinking about fuel lines for the rest of the car in the next year or two but they seem ok right now. Seattle weather (cool and no salted roads) seems to help with longevity.

i also have a new to me non-delaminated hatch ready to go in - maybe I’ll try my hand on the delaminated one, it creaks but no major leakage yet.

Thanks again for the input guys.

Quick Reply: 1988 Turbo S - opinion of value