Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Approx. time to replace Cam shaft seal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 10:25 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Approx. time to replace Cam shaft seal?

Ok, here is the deal.
My dad's '86 951 has been sitting in our garage for coming up on 3 years undergoing "repairs". After getting fed up with it I finally convinced him that I can do some work on it, so I replaced the hoses a while back. I am approaching the dat when I can get my license, so I would really like to see this car running. I wont be driving it often, I'm not sure if even at all. I jsut want to ride in it.

My dad is convinced that we should tension the belt ourselves using the cricket/omnibelt type tool. Anyway, the cam shaft seal needs replacing. We have the belt off and the back belt gaurd, that holds the seal.
About how much longer would it take to replace the seal?
How much does a shop charge to tension the timing belt?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 02-12-2004, 11:26 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are referring to the inner section of the distributor console as the rear belt guard then changing the cam seal only takes a couple of minutes. Two things that go along with that.

1) You do not have to remove the distributor console to change the seal.
2) If it is removed then you should replace the three other "seals" while you have it apart to make four total. Cam seal, translucent seal between the cam and spacer, dist. console oring and the barrel shaped one that seals up the oil journal for the cam housing.

You can figure about 2 hours to tension the cam belt on an 86 car and put it together.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Approx. time to replace Cam shaft seal?