Tie Rod Help! Cannot tighten!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 12:09 PM
dga
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tie Rod Help! Cannot tighten!

Hello all,

I read up on changing the tie rod on my 1986 951. So I got one old tie rod out, no major problem. I ordered new tie rods (Lemforder brand, made in Germany etc...).

However, how do I tighten the tie rod part by the wheel?

The one I removed (maybe original) had a 19mm nut and a pin that was bent. I removed. The new one just has 19mm nut and no pinhole. Further, when I put the nut on the whole screw and ball eventually rotates. I have no way to hold it. I thought giving it same taps from underneath and then screw it in but that does nothing. Further the new one has some sort of screw that might be some sort of lock nut. However, I can get some turns on (about the screw height) but when beyond finger tight and need to use a wrench, it all just spins. I tried air-wrenching it on (lightly) but that did not work.

What is the trick?
Old 04-16-2019, 12:59 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Hey mister,
Here is the trick: (after you verify it's some form of lock nut (probably a "stover" -which is pre distorted to really bite on the stud, which is a good thing but also the reason it's being a p.i.t.a.). Apply moderate pressure bellow the strongest parts of the tie rod; the ball-directly under the tie rod end. Apply about 1/4 the amount of force required to lift the car. If you are just starting to lift the one corner of the car, that's okay as long as the car is chocked & properly secured and the tie rod isn't being damaged. This might be enough. But if it's nut, then the speed of an air tool really helps suck it tight before it spins, then torqu accordingly and don't over torque.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:50 PM
dga
Intermediate

Thanks! I googled and maybe it is a stover nut. I had thought about the put weight on it but did not try. I did try pushing it in by hand and tightening but did not help. Will try tonight!!!!!

Any other suggestions?

(the tie-rod was was trivial up and until tightening this nut...)
Old 04-16-2019, 03:40 PM
Spring44
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dga
Thanks! I googled and maybe it is a stover nut. I had thought about the put weight on it but did not try. I did try pushing it in by hand and tightening but did not help. Will try tonight!!!!!

Any other suggestions?

If you will notice, the threaded pin on the tie rod is tapered and the hole on the steering arm that it fits in is also tapered. Try inserting the pin in the hole and and attempt to drive the tapered pin tightly into the tapered hole using a block of wood and a hammer. Once you get some " interference" between the hole and pin that taper should hold it while you tighten the nut. Keep pushing the tie rod up into the hole while you tighten the nut.

If the tie rod end still tries to rotate in the hole, go buy a conventional nut the same size and thread pitch as the tie rod end nut, one without a nylon insert or other locking mechanism in it. A conventional nut will not create the drag on the threads that the locking nut will and you should be able to go ahead and pull the pin up tight into the taper with it. Once the taper is tightly engaged, take the conventional nut off and install the lock nut in its place. Bingo, you are done.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:00 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by dga

Any other suggestions?

I usually use a large size angle nose plier and grab the balljoint from underneath with the lower jaw and the hub with the upper jaw and squeeze them together. This pressure is enough to prevent the ball to turn together with the locking nut so you can use your other hand to tighten down the nut.

Good luck
Peder
Old 04-16-2019, 04:22 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Put a floor jack directly under the tie rod end with a wooden block between, apply some pressure with the jack, tighten nut with impact.
You can cheat off early on the impact if you want to torque to spec.

T
Old 04-17-2019, 06:41 AM
dga
Intermediate

Thanks all! I put a jack underneath and raise the control arm a bit, then used impact gun and it tightened. I am not sure to what spec but definitely tight as per the gun (and beyond 40 lbs because I tested it with that...)

Problem solved! I drove it and I got the alignment "almost" right....to the alignment shop we go...
Old 06-10-2023, 02:03 AM
965Guards
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry I’m posting in wrong section again lol

Last edited by 965Guards; 06-10-2023 at 02:06 AM.
Old 06-10-2023, 08:09 AM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by dga
Hello all,

I read up on changing the tie rod on my 1986 951. So I got one old tie rod out, no major problem. I ordered new tie rods (Lemforder brand, made in Germany etc...).

However, how do I tighten the tie rod part by the wheel?

The one I removed (maybe original) had a 19mm nut and a pin that was bent. I removed. The new one just has 19mm nut and no pinhole. Further, when I put the nut on the whole screw and ball eventually rotates. I have no way to hold it. I thought giving it same taps from underneath and then screw it in but that does nothing. Further the new one has some sort of screw that might be some sort of lock nut. However, I can get some turns on (about the screw height) but when beyond finger tight and need to use a wrench, it all just spins. I tried air-wrenching it on (lightly) but that did not work.

What is the trick?
Place a floor jack under the tie rod ball joint, then raise the jack until the ball joint is pushed into the steering knuckle... now, use an air wrench and the right socket to tignten the bolt.

Don't be shy, you need a bit of torque to overcome the nut (google nylock nut).

Quick Reply: Tie Rod Help! Cannot tighten!