Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Calif SMOG test failure (Pre-test)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 05:59 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car has passed the BC equivalent (25 mph 2nd gear, + idle) with numbers that would have no problem passing the Cali test. Unknown chips, very rich at WOT, banjo bolt restrictor, so probably Autothority Stage 2 chips. Two years ago it failed on high HC, so the service shop replaced the O2 sensor and reset the CO mixture at idle. It has passed fine this way for two years now. The cat may have been changed in the past; it is a stock cat but has some suspicious welds.

So yes, you can pass the test with rich chips if your O2 sensor and cat are good and your car is in proper tune.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Danno
Race Director

"I had my "test-only" done at a W. San Carlos Smog station on West San Carlos just West of Meridian. Very nice Vietnamese guy who runs and owns the shop. "

Yeah, I probably know that guy! My mom lived right down the street near the Rose Garden and the Egyptian Museum.

"Regarding the pre-test. While "officially" nothing is logged, DMV is notified of the pre-test so they do know what happens on your pre-test. "
"2- will my car pass w/ the autothority chips. I wisely saved the orig chips (thanks Alek anyway) But I really don't want to pull those boxes out and swap those chips out. Sh#$ . Did anyone on this board pass the new inspection with an Stage 2 Authority chip only (and of course the Banjo bolt with a smaller orifice) please let me know .... "

Hmm, I think you want the larger jet to lower boost. I'll tell you guys again about my 6-month ordeal to pass smog on my car since it's been a couple of years. I had just gotten back from the track and wanted to see what my emissions were in that configuration. I had installed the Huntley MAF-4/Turbo-2 combo and had used it with the APE-Stg.2 chips I bought the previous year. I was running the same 15psi boost and not much adjustments were needed on the ARC2; I just dialed in some extra fuel in the high-end to combat the leaning tendency there.

Anyway, I wanted to see how the car would smog in the configuration that worked well at the track. So I requested the 'pre-test' at Smog-IT on Haley. Avoid these guys at all costs as you will see. The tech running the test started it up and was plugging stuff in to the computers. I went out to the lounge to read some magazines (no coffee, how rude!). So the guy comes in after about 15-minutes and I get ready to whip out the checkbook and get outta there. And he says,

"Uh, we had a problem with your car. I didn't see that it was written up as a pre-test, so I logged everything into the computer. And you ended up with over double the allowable emissions, so the car's flagged in the State's system as a gross-poluter, sorry."

So I asked him, "So what can I do?", as I slyly think that I'll just swap in the stock chips and come back for a re-test (which was free fortunately).

"Well, we're a test-only station, so you'll have to get it fixed and come back." he replied.

"Ok, I'll be back next week", I answered and took off.

So swapped in the stock chips and came back the next day. I talked to the guy behind the counter about getting a re-test (not the same one who did the test). He talked to the manager who came out and wanted to check out the car first. So we went outside and I popped the hood.

He poked around and say, "hmmm, I don't like that exposed K&N filter, you're gonna have to take it off."

Which was a bunch of BS because I KNEW that the car didn't require a TAC, a sealed airbox. And I responded, "but it passed the last time, all it needed was to get through the emissions and I had the wrong chips in there because I was at the track last weekend."

Nope, no go, he wouldn't even bother putting the car on the sniffer because he didn't like that K&N filter, bastard!!! And I had already given away all my stock intake-parts like the air-box and AFM, so there was no going back to stock!

I was pretty busy with school at the time, I was another month before I got through mid-terms and finals. Figured I'd be sneaky and take it to a different shop. They hooked everything and started putting stuff into the computers.

They came out and said, "Well, we can't test your car because it's flagged as a gross-poluter in the State's computer, so only the shop that originally tested you can pass this car."

So I called up the power-trip **** at the Smog-IT shop and asked if he'd smog my car since that's all I needed.

"Nope, not with the filter on there." he replied.
"But look in the book, I don't need a TAC on this car!"
"Nope, no way". he rebuffed..

GRRRrr, EEEDIOTS!!!!

After some more prodding about what I can do, he finally gives in a little and gives me the number of the State board where i can find an official referee station to look at my car. The closest one was 30-minutes south in Carpinteria, but the weren't open on weekends and I had work and classes all week.

So another month or so goes by and I call up to find a referee station that's open on weekends. The closest one is 90-minutes north, just south of San Luis Obispo. So I call for an appointment and their 1st opening is 4 weeks away, I guess a lot of people are failing smog-checks.

Yup, another month goes by and my registration had expired two months earlier while I was fighting the smog-****. I dread the drive up there, paranoid that I'd get pulled over for expired tags. I actually had an arrest warrant out for me because of a broken headlight on my Camry, which I had sold off 6-months earlier, but figured that the ticket would go with the car. Anyway, I make it to the ref. station and they're light-years ahead of the previous shops I've been in. Spotlessly clean floors, state-of-the-art computers and equipment. Even an espresso bar!!!

So the 1st thing they did was whip out the book, then started going over all the visuals point-by-point; nothing was gonna get past these guys. They pressure-tested the gas-cap, traced the tank-breather lines, even pulled off the fender liner to make sure the charcoal canister was hooked up! Then they pulled out little dental mirrors and inspected all around the welds on my exhaust to make sure I didn't weld in a by-pass pipe inside my catalytic. Luckily I had spray-painted the MAF J-pipe semi-gloss black so it looked fairly stock and matched the intercooler pipes. I even hooked up all the stock hoses like the crankcase-breather and charcoal-canister breather line; which they closely examined and traced BTW.

Finally, they wrote me off on all of the visual-inspection and we were ready for the emissions. I had made sure to turn down the ARC2 to its mimimal settings where the car would barely run. I made sure to keep my foot on the gas to give it a high-idle so I could pull into the bay without stalling it (it definitely wouldn't idle on its own). As I hopped out of the car, it wanted to stumble and die, but luckily, one of the guys in the front blipped the throttle with the cable a couple of times. "It's kinda cold" I said. "yeah, let's run it for a while to heat up the cat!" the tester said.

So I sat back in and held my foot on the throttle. Kept an eye on the monitor and the guy running the test. Just as he turned his back, I reached over and turned up the ARC1 by one click on the LOW idle ****, heh, heh. that did it! After that I hopped out and let it idle as they hooked up the sniffers. After about 5 minutes of collecting smog at idle, it passed!!!

Then it was onwards to the 2500rpm test. The tester revved it up to 2500rpm and sat and watched the monitor. I was getting a littel worried becasue it looked like it may be borderline. Luckily , he hopped out and went looking for the prop-rod they use to hold the engine steady at 2500rpm. I surreptitiously reached in from the passenger side and pulled my day-planner out of the glovebox like I was getting ready to write a check. I also turned down the LOW **** on the ARC2 by a click or two. The guy came back with his stick and stuffed it between the steering and gas-pedal to hold the car at a steady 2500rpm. Then he got out and started entering stuff into the computer.

Then I rip off a blank-check and reached over to put the checkbook back into the glovebox. I turned down the LOW **** on the ARC2 another click or so. After another 5-minutes or so of collecting smog, they finished the test and I PASSED!!! What an ordeal. I couldn't believe it took over 3-months and countless trips to get my car smogged.

So I would recommend taking all the precautions you can BEFORE going to the test-station. Like turning down the boost and putting the stock chips back in. It's definitely a lot less of a hassle than trying to fix things afterwards.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:17 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks Don (waterguy)
Please forgive me for sounding ignorant but what is," at WOT "
Regards
Ed
Thanks Danno
Now you have me scared to Sh#$. luckily, I have yet to upgrade additional
parts of the engine, ie turbo, MAF burner, boost controller, wastegt, etc...
At this rate I am really thinking of just saying Fu@# it and change out the
chips. I was thinking of calling Authority and asking if they could tell me
weather it would pass as is .....I doubt they would be able to tell me but I
will give them a call. BTW I did call back the Smog station and they said they
would not put it in the system but it was 59.00 for the pre-test
Regards
Ed
Old 02-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Aleks951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOT = Wide Open Throttle
Old 02-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

AAhhhh!
thx
Ed
Old 02-18-2004, 03:07 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Hey Guys
I just got off the phone with Autothority. They said " there is no way that I will pass here in Ca with those chips in my car" So its pull out the boxes time.
Guy's does anyone know If I change at a later date the Turbo to say a Linsey super61 or a Garrett, with the maf burner and wastegate, can I even go back to the orig chips to pass a smog test ???? I was looking to upgrade all of these or even look into all new boxes (links 2) type system. But if I have to go thru this every time other than swap out chips or the DME and KLR boxes ...... ?????? I guess I will not be upgrading . If anyone could tell me
I would greatly appreciated it . Thanks in advance
Regards
Ed
Old 02-18-2004, 03:20 PM
Aleks951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the APE info Ed. I'm glad I listened to Danno's suggestion the first time of placing the stock chips back in just in case. It made sense to me anyway, to put the car back in the most stock configuration before the testing.

I'm not that interested to put the chips back in and retest just to find out.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

I agree. Especially after hearing Danno's story about the "Smog ****"I didn't
know whether to laugh or cry .....:-)
Old 02-18-2004, 04:04 PM
Danno
Race Director

Laugh! With the hoops these cars makes you jump through, it's downright silly! I've had to pull my engine three times in the past year taking care of little problematic stuff that some minor design changes would've eliminated completely.

"Guy's does anyone know If I change at a later date the Turbo to say a Linsey super61 or a Garrett, with the maf burner and wastegate, can I even go back to the orig chips to pass a smog test ???? "

It's all the mapping no matter what system you have. Piggyback systems still rely on the underlying chip-mapping. My GURU chips provide smog-passing ability with fairly stock idle and low-end maps since flow is still similar to stock down there. But on the high-end with 20psi+ of boost, I've got way, way more fuel to match the increased flow-rates of aftermarket turbos without the fear of going lean like the APE chips.

Also with signal-interception & massaging, there's only so much you can do to lean out fuel in the idle-zones with larger injectors. That's because there's only one fuel-cell over at idle from the edge of the map. Fooling the computer into thinking less air-flow is flowing than actual to compensate for larger injectors will select this next lower cell. However, the value programmed there is only 33% leaner than normal idle. So the largest injector you can use and still get a clean and stable idle is 55#. Anything larger will result in too rich of a mixture and failing your emissions test, as well as giving you an unstable idle.

Technically, any modifications to your stock EFI system will fail you on the emissions test. But that's not one of the check-list items they inspect. So as long as your emissions are clean, then you'll pass smog just fine.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Ok Danno
Please don't think I am an idiot but if only for a smog test (can or if ) I put back the orig chips with 55 injectors and a aftermkt turbo /wastgt/ maf/air-intake

(I guess if I go with some kind of air intake other than stock .... I will be under the watchful eye of the Smog ****
1- will it run ?
2- will it pass ?
I can't see going w/ turbo etc and not having a diff intake. That would defeat
the whole purpose. I would have a bigger turbo that can't breath. I guess I could swap out the intake every time (that would be a pain in the arss).
Old 02-18-2004, 06:21 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Danno
What is EFI ?
Old 02-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Guys
I just pulled the chips and the Banjo bolt . Strangely I thought there was a carburetor jet inside the banjo bolt . I did have the first chip set from APE and that no question had a jet inside . I am wondering maybe the jet fell off in the intake tubing ????? The both bolts the stock and APE look the same now .....
Old 02-23-2004, 04:17 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Well I did the dirty deed and passed inspection. As I had mentioned in the
previous post the carb jet from the banjo was missing .... It turns out that indeed there was a jet in there when I put it in. Scary part is now, where did
it go? Hopefully it went the way of the intercooler. Otherwise, doesn't that other end go towards the turbo ? .... Yeks
regards
Ed
Old 02-23-2004, 05:32 AM
Danno
Race Director

"What is EFI ?"

EFI = Electronic Fuel Injection. When I refer to "stock EFI system", that's the Bosch Motronic v3 that's used in our cars.

"Please don't think I am an idiot but if only for a smog test (can or if ) I put back the orig chips with 55 injectors and a aftermkt turbo /wastgt/ maf/air-intake
(I guess if I go with some kind of air intake other than stock .... I will be under the watchful eye of the Smog ****
1- will it run ?
2- will it pass ?
I can't see going w/ turbo etc and not having a diff intake. "

You can actually fit all of the stock intake plumbing equipment like the airbox, AFM and rubber J-boot onto an aftermarket turbo and have it all work very well. There's even a way to attach the J-boot without hacking it up and using restrictive step-up adaptors (ever notice how the step-up adaptor reduces the ID of the air-flow passage in front of the turbo-inlet by 0.25"?)

The visual inspection part is where the smog-***** may pass you for having non-stock equipment. Ask Bill about that one! I'm not the only one that ran into trouble there.

The other part is the functionality. What kind of MAF do you have? And does it have some adjuster of some sort? Because putting 55# injectors into the stock system will result in 40% more fuel than stock, definitely a no-pass on the emissions. With the MAF, there may be a way of reducing the air-flow signal through an interceptor/massager to fool the stock computer into thinking less air is flowing than actual. In which case, it will select the next fuel-cell down from stock idle and cut the injector duty-cycle by 33%. You'd still be about 5% richer than stock with stock chips. But with the APE chips, you'd probably be closer to 20% richer @ idle than stock.

"As I had mentioned in the previous post the carb jet from the banjo was missing .... It turns out that indeed there was a jet in there when I put it in. Scary part is now, where did it go? Hopefully it went the way of the intercooler. Otherwise, doesn't that other end go towards the turbo ? ."

Uh oh... I'd take apart that intercooler pipe and check both ends. The intlet of the intercooler and the turbo outlet. Might be able to fish around with one of those magnets on a stick. But the jet is brass I think and it won't stick. You might just be able to see it though. Good luck!
Old 02-23-2004, 07:02 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Oh
I forgot these are the results
At this point my car is totally stock (engine wise)

15 MPH:
HC - measured = 35 max = 116
CO - measured = .17 max = .74
NO - measured = 226 max = 791

25 MPH:
HC - measured = 14 max = 91
CO - measured = .10 max = .62
NO - measured = 335 max = 730

Aleks951 Danno
Considering the hardships one has to go thru in this state to pass inspection,
what if we (Aleks, I and others want to upgrade our engines ie turbo wastgt
mass air, link 2, inject 55, etc. Could we theoretically just put back the stock
chips and pass inspection (maybe I should start a new thread on this topic?)
I would bet there has to be a s#$% load of people in this state that don't just use the cars on the track ..... if you know what I mean or un-install all
their mod they put on every two yrs .....
Thanks in advance
Regards
Ed

Quick Reply: Calif SMOG test failure (Pre-test)