Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Mahle Piston to wall clearance

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 09:15 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Bores correctly finished with the pads & paste?
Old 03-20-2019, 01:21 PM
alex_cristocea
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blade7
Bores correctly finished with the pads & paste?
I think that is the problem. The block was oversized and honed using KS NOT Sunnen system. The silicon was exposed with corundum pads not felt pads with An30 paste. after it came back form the machine shop the bores was shinny almost mirror like. Send it back to be exposed with paste ( KS paste) and when it came back again was looking dull but not like an used original cylinder. So I think this is the problem.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:32 PM
blade7
Drifting

If as you say the pistons are OK, I'd be inclined to have some dry liners fitted. Unless you can find someone to nikasil plate the cylinders.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:52 PM
alex_cristocea
Rennlist Member

If as you say the pistons are OK, I'd be inclined to have some dry liners fitted. Unless you can find someone to nikasil plate the cylinders.
I found a company in Germany who can Nikasil plate the cylinders, but they need to go to the next size. This also means other pistons. I already sent the block to another machine shop to install dry iron sleeves. I'am not sure with PTW clerance in this configuration.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:04 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_cristocea
I found a company in Germany who can Nikasil plate the cylinders, but they need to go to the next size. This also means other pistons. I already sent the block to another machine shop to install dry iron sleeves. I'am not sure with PTW clerance in this configuration.
So Alex are you based in Germany or the US?

With Nikasil they should be able to bring you back to stock spec on the bores and you can still use your Alusil compatible pistons just with different rings. Alusil (KS) dry sleeving is very expensive last time I looked and steel sleeves would mean new pistons and really not cost effective. In the US 928 Motorsports will Nikasil a 944 for under $1,500, plus Nikasil is much more hardwearing than Alusil.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:09 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Good reading and learning material from Refresh951

http://www.refresh951.com/

Also check out all the videos from flat6innovations there is some good learning material there

http://flat6innovations.com/

Also search posts by "Blown 944" talking about building sleeved engines and piston to wall clearances

This is transferable skills information to help understand more about this type of work.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:40 PM
Weston Dillard
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

It seems iron dry liners offer a less complicated solution. Though when I've asked about machining the liners for the windage ports on 104mm blocks, I've been told that causes a problem for the honing cutters.
I just had this done on my sleeved S2 block, and the shop made no mention of it. So it must be possible.

West
Old 03-21-2019, 05:48 PM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by Weston Dillard
I just had this done on my sleeved S2 block, and the shop made no mention of it. So it must be possible.

West
You had the cutouts machined into the liners before they were fitted?
Old 03-21-2019, 05:51 PM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by MAGK944

With Nikasil they should be able to bring you back to stock spec on the bores and you can still use your Alusil compatible pistons just with different rings. Alusil (KS) dry sleeving is very expensive last time I looked and steel sleeves would mean new pistons and really not cost effective. In the US 928 Motorsports will Nikasil a 944 for under $1,500, plus Nikasil is much more hardwearing than Alusil.
I was under the impression those pistons could also be used in iron/steel liners?
Old 03-21-2019, 06:58 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

I was under the impression those pistons could also be used in iron/steel liners?
ah yes, i posted without engaging brain. Still it must be more cost effective and an improvement to Nikasil rather than sleeve though I haven’t checked sleeving prices lately.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:04 AM
blade7
Drifting

ah yes, i posted without engaging brain. Still it must be more cost effective and an improvement to Nikasil rather than sleeve though I haven’t checked sleeving prices lately.
Seeing as Porsche used Nikasil on the 911 turbo and 968S engines you'd think it's the best finish. The only place here that does it requires you to remove every ferrous part from the block first though.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:10 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Yep, every stud, dowel, etc has to be removed.

Millennium Technologies in USA is best alternative.

A shade under $1k for inline 4 plating, they even have a 944 block pictured as an example - https://www.millennium-tech.net/serviceInfo.php?id=12

T
Old 03-24-2019, 04:39 PM
alex_cristocea
Rennlist Member

I'am based in Romania ( ~4000 KM east of Germany). Nikasil would be a very good way to finish the bores but the closest shop to do this in a proper way it's in Germany.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:46 AM
Weston Dillard
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

You had the cutouts machined into the liners before they were fitted?
They pressed in the sleeves and then cut the sleeves to match the existing ports with a die grinder, it appears. Then they apologetically gave the block back to me unfinished. A second shop decked and honed to size.

West
Old 04-04-2019, 01:35 PM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by Weston Dillard
They pressed in the sleeves and then cut the sleeves to match the existing ports with a die grinder, it appears. Then they apologetically gave the block back to me unfinished. A second shop decked and honed to size.

West
Thanks for the update. I've seen pics of a couple of lined 104mm blocks done over here, that have the ports all but blocked by the liner. Didn't make sense to me, as the ports are one of the benefits of that block.

Quick Reply: Mahle Piston to wall clearance