Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Big Brake Kit fitment issues 87 951

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 12:39 AM
aftermath1
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Brake Kit fitment issues 87 951

HI. My car had a 86 turbo setup ( spindles and control arms ). Years ago I started buying the parts to upgrade and convert to a 87 turbo setup. I am finally installing the parts and I cant get the parts to fit. I got some help from Lindsey racing but not the answer. Seems I have 86 adapter blocks, 87 rotors. Problem is if I get the 87 adapter blocks the fitment issue will be worse I believe. So I am thinking I have the wrong calipers. I cant find part number on them,. Im pretty sure I have the adapter block bolted to the spindle backwards, the offset bolt hole is supposed to be inwards, not outwards, but its fitment is way worse that way. If I ground down the block of some on the mounting ears I could make it fit as its out by about 1/8 of a inch. However removing material is probably a stupid thing to do. Its got to be something else that's wrong.

You can see from the one picture that the bolts don't line up with the holes. It will bolt up if the rotor is off.

Anyone have a idea what caliper these are, I would guess 928 based on the lindsey kits but maybe not.
Anyone have a idea what might be off? The caliper when fitted over the rotor needs to come inwards by 1/8 inch to clear the ears on the spindle.

Thanks for your help, The car has been collecting dust for too long and I need to track it this year!

Anyone have a 944 87+ big brake kit and pictures they can share with me?

Al

Old 02-23-2019, 05:33 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Part numbers do not exist on these calipers. They are assigned a number but are not stamped.

It's a radial-mount caliper, so it's probably an M030 or 928 caliper.

If those adapter blocks are aluminum I would consider switching to steel.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:34 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Nothing is wrong with any of your parts you just have to have the right combo.

If if you have 87+ A arms, spindles, hubs, late offset 55mm wheels then you need the specific adapter blocks for that, alloy works just fine from Lindsey or racers edge! Once you have these parts sorted out right then any of the bigger calipers like medium black or big black from 928 Gt gets or 964 993 will work but you must have the right size matching rotors to work!

None of the ‘86 parts will work in this equation but if you had all ‘86 parts then you could use any of the before mentioned big calipers and matching rotors!

So so to be clear you don’t have the right adapter blocks most likely or a random ‘86 part in there somewhere the late ‘87+ spindles have abs wheel speed sensor facility although the very early 87 spindles are not drilled for the sensor just the spot for it to be milked is there.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:43 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Are you trying to run 993 TT or 965 turbo S rotors with smaller medium m030 black calipers? Maybe itemize exactly what your spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, and adapter blocks are then you can figure out what doesn’t match.

the easiest way to deduct what calipers you have is to measure the 4 pistons in each as this was different on all years and variety’s then measure the diam(round) of rotors to determine these. Post up what you got and you will get to the bottom of it quickly good luck
Old 02-28-2019, 01:46 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

993 TT rotors need special adapters bolted to center hub area to work with the big red or big black calipers

however 965 rotors don’t have any hardware on them and fit perfectly on 87+ 951 stuff and use 993 TT big red or black calipers

then if you use medium black M030 calipers and rotors you can use 951S, 968 or 928 stock M030 parts with the right adopters to mount it all to spindle

Quick Reply: Big Brake Kit fitment issues 87 951