Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clonk sound when quick shift in 2nd gear!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 04:19 PM
bald_joint
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clonk sound when quick shift in 2nd gear!

Hello guys,

After a tranny rebuild and have everything back on the car, I have a clonking noise when I shift quickly in second gear.
It seems like the Gear Shift Rod knock against the torque tube.
I've changed the Gearshift Lever and the plastic Bearing Shell that sits in the bottom bracket. I've aligned everything with a 85 degrees angle as mention in the workshop manual, but I still have the clonk if I do not go slowly and gently while getting in 2nd gear.
Could it be some sort of rubber padding somewhere on the torque tube that could have fall?
Since it's a small fit under there and everything is hidden behind the exhaust and heat shields, I hoping to have ideas or advice on the matter!

Thanks
Old 02-10-2019, 04:48 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

what condition is the trans mount in. The trans really moves around on these cars. Consider doing the urethane mount mod.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:02 PM
bald_joint
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Transmission mount looks in good shape. The problem do not seem to come from there. The only think I can see would be to go play with the side-to-side adjustment in the shift linkage, but I'm not sure this will help with my problem!
Old 02-10-2019, 09:37 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks are deceiving and that trans mount is 30+ years old and surely deteriorated and squishy. The trans in these cars is basically hanging on the mount, that was the original design. Try the urethane mod, it's cheap and I bet that's the issue. The driveline swings with the torque of the shift and banging 2nd you're probably going metal to metal on the mount. Doing the mod is easy and cheap. Occam's razor.

Quick Reply: Clonk sound when quick shift in 2nd gear!