Knock sensor harness repair - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Knock sensor harness repair

Old 02-08-2019, 11:01 PM
black944 turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Knock sensor harness repair

I am curious what options are out there to repair the wires at the knock sensor connector. I don't want to put an aftermarket harness in the car and chop up my overall good harness.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:48 AM
Humboldtgrin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 02-09-2019, 09:42 AM
ekoz
Addict
Rennlist Member

I bought a used harness and rebuilt it. Lots of good write ups on this. Best over the winter project I ever did. If you have the space to keep it set up on a 4x4 sheet of plywood so you can take your time its a great project, almost like doing a big puzzle. I replaced almost every wire end to end. I think I left some of the wires alone that never really get into the engine bay, but for the most part everything was replaced. I wouldn't consider it after market, but rebuilt. If you do it don't go cheap...buy decent wire and crimping tools, soldering gun etc.

The best part is removing the new connectors without worrying about the spring clip flying off and never to be seen again. If you mod your car at all you will never regret it.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:00 PM
black944 turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies, I would love to rebuild the harness. i think this may be on my future "to do" list. At the moment the harness is in decent shape overall and I just need to repair the knock sensor end. I am not sure what other options are out there. The end on mine is good the wires have disentigrated right at the connector though.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:54 PM
Dan Martinic
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black944 turbo View Post
Thanks for the replies, I would love to rebuild the harness. i think this may be on my future "to do" list. At the moment the harness is in decent shape overall and I just need to repair the knock sensor end. I am not sure what other options are out there. The end on mine is good the wires have disentigrated right at the connector though.
Hate to suggest the obvious, but, if the wires have disentigrated on the knock sensor end, given they were constructed at the same time as the rest and living in the same environment, it is very likely that the wires on the other ends are or will very soon be in the same boat

Old 02-09-2019, 02:48 PM
gruhsy
Addict
Rennlist Member

The rest of the wires in the unit will be old and damaged...corroded etc. It is far safer to build the entire run of wires with new connectors. I have rebuilt 3 harnesses now using the LR lines and repairing stuff on my own soldering new ends.

I am going to be ordering a bunch of parts and wires to rebuild an entire harness for the RAGE2 car and will have a ton of pics and video of what I am going to be doing. Just buying a building in order of things as building 2 entire cars gets expensive
Old 02-09-2019, 03:04 PM
markl951
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you're going to do the knock sensor connector you might also consider doing the 3 pin idle air stabilizer valve connector as well. There's no protection for that circuit and if the right wires short together in the wire harness connector you end up blowing the driver transistors inside the DME. I've seen a lot of these connectors that look fine from the outside but you peel back the strain relief you'll find damaged and exposed wires. Everything at this age is just hard and brittle. It doesn't take much to flake off the wire insulation.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:12 PM
black944 turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you all, i agree whole heartedly and will have this as a future projec for sure.

Grushy I look forward to photos and videos of your build.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: