Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

piston rings??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 01:03 AM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend had them in his track car motor built by a local shop before he bought it (so no idea what the cylinders looked like prior to the rebuild). Upon tear down, the cylinder walls had all developed ridges like you would see in a standard iron bore cylinder.

When he was discussing these rings with one of the east coast tuners, he was told that two identical engines were built with the exception of the rings and the total seal motor developed something like 28hp less that the standard ringed motor. Hearing this and seeing my friends motor made me wonder if maybe the total seal rings have a higher cylinder wall tension.

Personally, I don't think I would run them in our cylinders even though I have heard they work very well in iron bore blocks.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:15 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke to total seal and they told me that they used a different material for steel sleeves vs. alusil bores...but maybe they dont?

Keep the thoughts coming...
--adrial
Old 02-21-2004, 01:56 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by adrial
I spoke to total seal and they told me that they used a different material for steel sleeves vs. alusil bores...but maybe they dont?

Keep the thoughts coming...
--adrial
Total Seal offers 2 seperate rings types, one for Alusil one for Sleeved blocks.. Make sure you tell them your exact application when you order.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I'v had Total Seal in my engine for 2 seasons. No issues and a 3% leakdown after the last event. I'll have the head off next month for an exchange. I have photos of the bores before I put the rings in and will post any unusual issues after I get into it. Purchased the rings from EBS.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what the standard WF headgasket looks like. 20 psi for seasons and no leaks. No O ring either.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:51 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the 2nd ring only, after talking with the guys at EBS racing they recommended the total seal #2 ring only. He offered a complete total seal ring kit, but their experience was that the stock oil control and top rings were excellent.

Quick Reply: piston rings??