Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Want to try Motronic Monitor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 01:04 PM
z3bra
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by westcoastprshe
You know what would be trick... a laptop with VGA out in the glove box, with a nice LCD screen built in to the dash showing this screen, or a custom setup where you could flip between different views.

I assume you can run it like that while the car's in normal use.

A great mini laptop for that sort of use is a Toshiba Libretto, they're old enough they still have a real serial port too. Look them up on Ebay, they can generally be had for a couple hundred or even as low as $100 if you don't need a fast and powerful one. (The ones I'm talking about are usually Pentium 200s or thereabouts).
Old 04-03-2004, 01:19 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

The latest version of the Monitor uses USB. The older version was Serial...
We decided the USB route as most newer laptops offer USB. Also, when we release the Motronic Editor we want to be able to run both programs at the same time. Of course guys with the PiggyBack (Com port), should be able to fine tune their cars and see the live results in the Motronic Monitor.

Semi batch works great, of course a full rewrite of the code was needed. Can't elaborate on how we did it! Of course, Semi Batch is only at idle to keep the AFR in spec with large injectors.

Few emailed me asking if they can use their own chips with the Monitor.. The answer is NO, you will have to use Vitesse custom chips as most of the code was redesigned.

The Monitor has been ready for a while now. The main reason for not releasing the Monitor sooner is to allow existing Vitesse customers to migrate without having to fine tune their cars all over. As most of you know, backward compatibility is tough and time consuming to implement. But it's done...
Old 04-03-2004, 01:28 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dare we ask the price?
Old 04-03-2004, 01:31 PM
z3bra
Racer

Ahh wasn't aware it was USB now, good deal though, while they're handy for some things, I hate serial ports for how much they bring even a fast system to it's knees for such low transfer rates. I think there's newer librettos that have USB as well, they just tend to be pricier but either way they fit very nicely in a glove box.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:48 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The price is not 100% firm yet. However the monitor will be around $700.
This include the Monitor box, chip and software..
Old 04-03-2004, 02:41 PM
B951S
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by fast951
Semi batch works great, of course a full rewrite of the code was needed. Can't elaborate on how we did it! Of course, Semi Batch is only at idle to keep the AFR in spec with large injectors.
Mmm, very clever! I never thought that was possible with the motronic DME.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:22 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by B951S
Mmm, very clever! I never thought that was possible with the motronic DME.

Most people that do not understand and do not know how to program the Motronic, claim it's not suitable for high HP applications.. Not True!!!

Part of the rewrite was to increase the Data Area to offer larger tuning granularity. Also, we offer a TRUE MAF support where you select the MAF type and we will generate the appropriate transfer function.. As soon as I get some free time, I will update the website with plenty of details...

Few items that will interest people. You will be able to read/display/log your Narrowband O2 signal as well as the Wideband signal. Also, we support some wideband sensors and we will be able to simulate a NarrowBand signal based on the wideband input (Some wideband kits do not offer such functionality).

A good chance we will have knock detection displayed on the box itself (no need to have your PC hooked up).
Old 04-03-2004, 03:33 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

All that for $700?

Can I trade the SMT6 for this?

Or is the motronic monitor just that, only a monitor?
Old 04-03-2004, 03:44 PM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

Hi John, can we log what look up cell is used?
When will the editor be ready and what principles will it use? Can it log Wide Band AFR per look up cell? Can it log knock related to cell?
Will it support Bosch LSU? Does support mean just reception of signal or does it include drive electronics?

( btw tested the new turbo first time today and it works great)

Bengt
Old 04-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey John, I'm in the same boat as Ahmet- would be happy to make the drive down and donate my time/car if you need anymore volunteers- sounds like a good setup
-Randy
Old 04-03-2004, 08:54 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Correction:
That was me above, not Ahmet- keep forgetting to log him out before I post on his computer!
-Randy
Old 04-03-2004, 09:58 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

As I mentioned, the product has been working for some time now. Again, the price is not 100% firmed up yet! The "AROUND $700" is for monitor only. Not sure when we will release the Motronic Editor, but it's in the planning. For now the PiggyBack is the only alternative..

Data Logging does not display cell information! I'm unable to give details on the editor, when available I will share the info.

Bengt, Glad you like the turbo.

Quick Reply: Want to try Motronic Monitor?