Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Softening the ride on 87, questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 06:08 PM
dominick550
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softening the ride on 87, questions

So I'm trying to soften up the ride on my 87 turbo. Roads here are just beat, so I'm taking on the challenge to make this thing glide over broken pavement better. Right now I'm totally stock and running 16" wheels, so that's a start. Replacing my rear Sach's shocks that are shot, fronts seem ok for now. My question is are the strut top hats on the turbo a little harder rubber than on regular late 944's?

I know I'm swimming upstream with this crowd , but any other ideas?
Old 01-14-2019, 12:43 AM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The stock shocks and spring rates are fairly soft for a sports car but firm compared to a modern luxury car.
'Comfort' and 'suspension compliance' can be two different things. From my experience, if anything is worn and causing unwanted bumpsteer or any sort of instability, the car will feel uncomfortable when going over bumps. So make sure the alignment is stock, check all suspension bushings to make sure they're not cracked or loose. Also, all-season tires with H speed rating will have more compliant sidewalls than summer sport tires, make sure the bumpstops are in good condition too.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:33 AM
dominick550
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dave. I've got the car apart and will replace the bumpstops in front and then new rear shocks. Tires were 10 years old, so they're getting replaced as well. Alignment was just done, all was good. I'm still wondering about the strut top mounts, the rubber is pretty hard, but unfortunately they seem to be NLA.

Quick Reply: Softening the ride on 87, questions