Help with my brakes!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with my brakes!!

Hey, I've got a 1987 951, and this summer, I ordered new brake pads, and rotors. I went to put them on this summer, and to my suprise, the brakes are totally different. I am told, that it appears as though my '87, has '86 brakes with a spacer, to except the newer style wheels.

Here are a few pictures I had my dad take for me, as I am at school right now. If anyone has any idea what is up with my brakes, let me know!

Thanks,
Matt
Old 02-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Heres the Pictures:
I uploaded them to my Rennlist.

ALSO - why doesnt it show that I am a Rennlist member next to my name?

Picture One Picture Two
Picture Three

Thanks,
Matt
Old 02-02-2004, 12:52 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

maybe you got the NA brakes, which are smaller. Maybe your car had the spindles swapped, but the calipers are still the same size I believe on all non-sport pkg 951's regardless of year. I would think that 86 and 87 pads would be the same. What pads did you get, like what was the manuf. part no on them?
Old 02-02-2004, 01:21 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

email John D about the member thing, way to join up though
Old 02-02-2004, 10:21 AM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Jason952,

Originally posted by jason952
maybe you got the NA brakes, which are smaller. Maybe your car had the spindles swapped, but the calipers are still the same size I believe on all non-sport pkg 951's regardless of year. I would think that 86 and 87 pads would be the same. What pads did you get, like what was the manuf. part no on them?
I was refering to the rotors, and the spindles, not really the calipers, becuase I beleave the calipers are correct. But its just that the rotors are totally different. The rotors that I bought, are the same size as the rotors that are on there, plus the spindle/spacer.

If anyone knows what I would need to change this back over, because I need to put the rotors I have on there. My guess is I need new spindles. If anyone has some ideas for me, let me know, I want to get this done before spring, since my cars up on jack stands right now, so its easy to work on.

I have metal master brake pads, and the OEM rotors, all ordered from Paragon-Products.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 02-02-2004, 11:06 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pads should be the same, rotors are very different....my car has been swapped from the 86 early offset to the 87 late offset. Uses the same calipers and pads, just different rotors.

I'm really surprised that someone would backswap to the early offset (unless it was to run Fuchs! ) unless there had been something wrong with the other suspension and that was all that they found, like bad parts or something. Did the PPI show up any evidence of an accident? That's about the only other real thing I could think of as to why they would backswap would be that the suspenion may have been damaged and that was what was available to put it back together.

Beyond that, are you doubly sure it's an 87? Does anybody know if there any 87s made with early offset, perhaps VERY early in the production run? Or maybe a very late run 86 that was rebadged as an 87?

You do seem to have the right calipers. I used to have some pics of the 86 rotors up when I had them for sale on Ebay, but I have removed it from my site now or I could show a pic to verify.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:36 AM
carrerabo
Advanced

does your car have abs or no abs in 86 it was a option maybe there is a confusion from supplier of parts and they just sent the wrong parts. The possibilities on where the mix up is, is wide open. See if you can find original part number off part you want to replace and try to mtcthem up when ordering.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:27 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't know if it's possible or not, but maybe somebody put on just the 86 hubs and rotors on your 87. I would think that would keep the late offset spindles, control arms and late offset, while expaining the 86 rotors and hubs. Also, from what I can see you don't have a spacer, just the factory 86 hub and rotor setup.

Rob
Old 02-02-2004, 01:11 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Rob
I don't know if it's possible or not, but maybe somebody put on just the 86 hubs and rotors on your 87. I would think that would keep the late offset spindles, control arms and late offset, while expaining the 86 rotors and hubs. Also, from what I can see you don't have a spacer, just the factory 86 hub and rotor setup.

Rob
Rob,

I think you are right, that it is just the Hubs and Rotors, from and '86, that were installed on my '87. What parts WOULD I need to get then, to bring my car back to the '87 specs? My guess is I would need just the spindles? If anyone has some part numbers for me, that would be great. If not I can try to find some. Also, if anyone has the parts I need for sale, let me know, becuase I may deside to go used, if the price from Paragon, or 944Racing is to much.

As for the question on the accident, Yes, the car was in an accident, but it only showed proof of an accident on the rear drivers side quarter pannel. I bought this car last spring, I got a deal that I could not pass up. Even though the car isnt perfect, its still a great car, the odometer reads 45k miles, but I cannot confirm that, however I think its right, except the suspension feels a little more tired then it should.

Thanks guys,
Matt
Old 02-02-2004, 02:41 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

You'll need the spindles, hubs and bearings from an '87 to use the rotors you've bought.

It would be a lot cheaper and simpler to just get rotors for an '86.

ABS was not an option in '86. Rotors are the same for ABS and non-ABS cars anyhow.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:09 PM
carrerabo
Advanced

I have 2 1986 944 turbo's 1 has abs one does not. To find out look at master cyclinder and see if there is proportioning valve.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:31 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

IIRC, the 86 cars with early offset cannot have ABS....that was the big reason for the change that I understand in 87 was to allow the use of the ABS system on these cars.....your 86 would have to have an 87 suspension setup to use ABS unless there is some kind of aftermarket kit on there (I know some were offered in the late 80s to people wanting to put some such thing on their cars).

My 86 brochure also mentions nothing about having ABS as an option either....

Okay....well, I was just wondering if the car had hit a curb or something and had damaged a wheel/rotor that someone may have done a job to put the most inexpensive parts back on the car that were correct to get it running. Accidents aren't always a reason not to have a car if it wasn't bad and if the car was repaired correctly, but something like that may have explained why the car has that unusual setup....
Old 02-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt

I have a set of '87 spindles and hubs. Send me an email if you indeed want to go that direction. Are the rears late or early offset?

I can see the ABS-year connectors on the strut and those brake rotors/spindles/hubs are '86. This means you have indeed a post-86 car w/ '86 brakes (?). You indeed have an odd issue. Are your wheels early or late? If you have late offset wheels and they fit, you prob. have '87 and later control arms. I'd find this out for sure before I went too far since at least 50% of the front suspension was changed at some point, they might have changed the arms too.
Matt

Quick Reply: Help with my brakes!!