Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

[Msg for Danno]- You mentioned a 350rwhp set up...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 09:49 PM
Doc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Msg for Danno]- You mentioned a 350rwhp set up...

You mentioned a 350rwhp set up about a year or so ago, it was going to be a complete turbo/injector/FPR/ECU "kit". I didn't see that on your website, did that ever come to be? If so, what is it and what did the price end up being?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:51 PM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Ah, I havent heard a post about the Guru-364 in quite some time....
Old 01-30-2004, 09:59 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Danno got 362 out of a K27/8, MAF, his chips, 97 octane home brew and 20 psi the other day I do believe. Not sure what all his intentions are but he's still working on it. Not to speak for him at all but I thought his target boost was around 18psi to get 350...maybe a different turbo would get it there. He's still playing with it.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:06 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

I am too interested in this. After getting my set of chips from him and how GREAT they work, I would be willing to wait until summer to buy from him the kit.
Old 01-31-2004, 06:35 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Danno, im assuming you read this, could you check your mail? I have an important request... Sorry for butting in on this thread....
Old 01-31-2004, 07:36 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

FYI,

I have started working with Danno on what could be called a “maximum performance with minimal effort” upgrade, which essentially requires a custom modification of the standard wastegate, a well designed boost controller (ReliaBoost or AccuBoost), 72lb injectors, port water injection, custom chips and possibly a coil update (standard induction system and K26/6 turbo).

My car is the test-bed for this activity and so far we have seen +20psi @ 2500 rpm and more than 30psi @ 3000 rpm and above. Everything has held up so far (I have WFHG and O-ringed Stage III Huntley head) and is running nicely cool. There still are some things to iron out.

Since I am a “late arrival” to the tuning of 951’s I doubt that was Danno’s initial intent for getting 350 whp, but there is no doubt, that we will end up at +350 whp. I am also talking to a machine shop to “multiply” the relatively few parts needed for this.

Laust
Old 01-31-2004, 07:50 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually Laust, it was to ge called the "Guru 364" kit, which would have been one more hp than the Kokeln kit.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:12 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am shocked at the hp from that setup Ski... There must have been other mods???
Old 01-31-2004, 09:21 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

The email I got had the dyno sheet attached...we were discussing an MAF chip for me. I'm not sure what was inside the K27(compressor), it was an APE MAF, with perfect power, his chips/injectors, *20psi* and I can't remember if the intercooler was upgraded or not. I'm not sure on the wastegate or which exhaust the car had.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:34 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I reading this wrong or are you saying that you're getting 20psi at 2500rpm? On a 2.5L? Isn't that rather early ? (understatement)
Old 01-31-2004, 10:48 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"Am I reading this wrong or are you saying that you're getting 20psi at 2500rpm? On a 2.5L? Isn't that rather early ? (understatement)"

Not if they have a super heavy duty spring and/or diaphragm that doesn't open at all.

The real question is who is gonna feel safe running 20-30 psi???

When you say port water inj. you are referring to direct port injection correct?? Like how a NOS system would be set up. I think when others on here see the boost numbers you are mentioning, this thread is gonna have about 2,000 replies!!!
Old 01-31-2004, 11:05 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by toddk911
Fer sure that is the question. I don't see how anyone would want to do 20 to 30psi with stock internals much less a tired, high mileage. As things stand with me I am holding off on any speed toys until the basic engine components have been addressed. Certainly I'd like to work my way up to an engine which can run 20psi reliably. But then I am counting on rebuilding the engine with the goal to withstand high boost within reasonable reliability. With proper engine preparations, forged rods/pistons and water injections I think this is a realistic projection. Let's turn up the boost!
Old 02-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"I am shocked at the hp from that setup Ski... There must have been other mods???"

Here's the chart:

Notice the super-wide 3000rpm powerband. Max-boost hits same as stock around 3500rpm due to anti-lag programming in the chips. Torque doesn't drop off dramatically like on a lot of modified 951s. Unfortunately, we ran out of fuel with the 55# injectors at about 5000rpm. Turning up the fuel-pressure delayed the 100% duty-cycle point to 5500rpm (see above where it starts to rise linearly), but also made the mid-range way too rich. The extra fuel also cost us 5hp and 10-lb/ft from the earlier run before this. So, in goes 65# injectors and we'll be back to turn up the boost!

"I'm not sure what was inside the K27(compressor), it was an APE MAF, with perfect power, his chips/injectors, *20psi* and I can't remember if the intercooler was upgraded or not. "

Ok, ok, here's the skinny. It was a K27/8 turbo with stock intercooler, stock headers, Fabspeed exhaust. Had an APE-MAF, no perfect-power or massagers of any kind. Directly-mapped chips to match the output-curve of the MAF is all that's needed. Other mods are Tial wastegate and TurboXS as well as... a special GURU head... I'm not gonna go into too many details until I can get it on another car and get repeatable results. But think larger, lighter valves, thinner stems, D-porting, fully-radius valves & seats (forget 5- or 7-angle valve jobs, they don't even compare).

"I don't see how anyone would want to do 20 to 30psi with stock internals much less a tired, high mileage. "

Remember that boost exists in the intake-manifold due to restrictions in the head (valves, ports, cam-timing, etc.). If you increase the high-RPM VE of the engine with better valve-work, porting and cams, you will make more power at the lower boost, but the SAME amount of air is getting crammed into those cylinders. So an engine making 350rwhp @ 20psi is combusting the same amount of air & fuel and stressing the internals the same amount as a 350rwhp engine @ 18psi, or 22psi.

I think these engines are tougher than we realize. Recall most engine failure of these engines in that past are from tuning. Improper air-fuel ratios, improper ignition, thus leading to burned headgaskets. Very few people have blown up their engines because of burnt valves or melted pistons. Certainly not broken rods from too much power, rather too many revs and inadequate oiling perhaps.

EDIT: Whoops, I messed up, just talked to Shane and he's got a Bursch cat-bypass and a stock cat-back exhaust.

Last edited by Danno; 02-02-2004 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:20 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by toddk911
"Am I reading this wrong or are you saying that you're getting 20psi at 2500rpm? On a 2.5L? Isn't that rather early ? (understatement)"

Not if they have a super heavy duty spring and/or diaphragm that doesn't open at all.

With a really tiny turbo, you can probably hit 20psi at 2500rpm. But that turbo won't make 350rwhp .

As for feeling safe running 20-30psi, I ran 28psi and over 450rwhp without any problems. My engine was just torn down and is in excellent shape. My block has seen nearly 200,000 miles now before retiring as my spare.

Like Danno said, the key is the tuning, that and a strong O-ring .
Old 02-01-2004, 01:25 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just in case it's not obvious, I'm not after big peak-HP figures and bragging rights. I try to design for a useable, friendly and drivable car. Most importantly, good low-end torque and quick build-up of boost so you don't get the S2000 effect of an econobox below 4500rpm with no torque which turns into a F1 car by 5500rpm. That type of a powerband is just not easy to drive. I prefer a configuration where there's power everywhere.

If you compare the above K27/8-MAF dyno-chart to our GUR-364 kit @16psi in the dyno-section of our GURU Forums, there's some similarities like the 3000rpm wide powerband, peak-HP figures made at redline that's higher than peak-torque, etc. There's some parallel developement going on here; it's not accidental... heh, heh...

Quick Reply: [Msg for Danno]- You mentioned a 350rwhp set up...